*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/920862
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Educational · #2110197
A chain of vignettes.
#920862 added September 25, 2017 at 5:26am
Restrictions: None
S-25 Words-2000
Ashwathama and realized he was the one who killed them all. They, the Pandavas went in search of Ashwathama. Ashwathama had straight gone to the rishi Anusanshan and told him what he had done. Rishi Vyasa vehemently criticized his cowardly action and said that the Pandavas were still alive and would come in search of him. Exactly at the moment entered the Pandavas the ashram of the rishi. Looking at them Ashwathama invoked the Brahma Astra the supreme divine weapon and used it against the Pandavas. But Arjuna also knew how to use the Brahma astra. So he too invoked it and used it against Ashwathama. The Rishi asked them to stop them otherwise it would annihilate the whole universe.

Ashwathama confessed to rishi Vyasa that he did not know how to revoke it. Vyasa had chided him severely for not knowing fully about the astra he had used. So the only alternative was to change its direction. Malicious as he was, Ashwathama directed the powerful astra towards the unborn child of Abhimanyu. His wife Uttara, daughter of Virata, king of Matsya was in child labor at that time. The astra that Ashwathama directed to her womb killed the child in it.

This was a sin that was the height of crimes. When Krishna saw this inhuman act he curse Ashwathama saying that he would die yet he would find no salvation. He would roam about the earth carrying his own corpse trying to find a way for release. When Ashwathama asked Krishna to resolve him from this terrible curse replied,
“Who am I to forgive you? You have to bear punishment for all the sinful acts you have committed.” Then Vasudeva Krishna turned to Dharmaraja and asked him to get the jewel fixed on the forehead of Ashwathama removed himself and gave to Dharmaraja.

Vasudeva Krishna and the Pandavas go to Uttara, who had just given birth to still born child. She was crying desperately over her son. Krishna asked her not to cry. Then he placed his hands on the child’s head and blessed him with his yogic power. He called him Pariks***.

“Get up dear Pariks***,” said Krishna. The child moved and the joy Uttara was beyond description.
Now that the war was over the Pandavas were about to come back to Hastinapur. in the palace at Hastinapur, king Dhritarashtra was weeping for his hundred sons killed in the war. He was not only crying over the deaths of his sons but also grinding his teeth in anger at the Pandavas, especially at Bhima who was responsible for the death of his eldest son, Duryodhana.

Vidura, the minister that went away unable to stay in Hastinapur returned to the palace and visited Dhritarashtra. Both had long discussion on righteousness and religion. Vidura made it clear to the king that if he was suffering that day it was his own doing. It was he who had driven away his brother Pandu’s sons out of Hastinapur and made them suffer for years and years. He was responsible for the deceitful gambling and the insult of Draupadi. He had consented to do whatever Duryodhana asked for. He was never righteous and had no right to talk about religion. He also reminded the old king Dhritarashtra that he was responsible for dividing the kingdom of Hastinapur and later on it was only after his approval that Dhritarashtra annexed it back to Hastinapur and refused to give it back to the Pandavas when they claimed it after their thirteen years of exile. But he, that was Dhritarashtra plucked them off the chess board and threw them off like the pieces of chess, said Vidura. He never faltered or hesitated over expressing truth and nothing but truth.

Vidura then guided the blind king Dhritarashtra thus:
“Dear elder brother, at least now welcome the Pandavas back to Hastinapur and be affectionate to them. Even now you haven’t lost everything. There is still something that can keep the kingdom happy and in one piece.”
“What about my dead sons? Hastinapur hadn’t cried over my sons.”

Vidura replied to the above question of Dhritarashtra thus.
“You are talking of your hundred sons. What about the thousands that lost their lives fighting for Hastinapur? Are they not the sons of Hastinapur?”

He continued to make Dhritarashtra aware of the enormous wrong doing he did. He told him to his face that it was Dhritarashtra’s ambition that had misguided his son Duryodhana and finally led to the ruin of the Kuru clan.
Finally when Dhritarashtra asked him for his immediate duty, Vidura replied unfalteringly,
“Hey king! You are now the past. Let the new age dawn. The Pandavas have come back to Hastinapur. They will come here to greet you. Give them blessings and you should now retire. Let the reins of control go to the Pandavas.”

Now there was nothing for Dhritarashtra to do besides accepting the suggestion of Vidura. His mind and heart were still craving for the sons and the authority he once exercised on the throne and the country. It was seen that man always proposes without giving thought to the propriety of his wishes. But God being God disposes thoughtless and ignorant wishes and gives him something useful and prudent.
The Pandavas arrived at the palace and were being given a warm welcome. Dhritarashtra had to put up a cheerful expression and give them a blessing. Krishna accompanied the five brothers as they came near the old king for his blessings.

Dhritarashtra said in a firm voice,
“My dear sons of Pandu, I am glad you are all here. Come to me one by one, so that I can recognize each of you.”

First, it was Yudhishtar who came near the king and touched his feet as a sign of greeting and respect. Dhritarashtra lifted him and embraced him saying, “dear Yudhishtar!”

The next prince to go to Dhritarashtra was Arjuna and the king greeted and blessed him in the same way as he did with Yudhishtar, saying “dear Arjuna”.

When Bhima was about to come to his uncle, Krishna made a sign which meant “stop.”

Then he indicated the tall statue placed in the corner of the court hall and asked Bhima to get it near to the king. Bhima went for it and fetched with his strong arms. Then Krishna directed him to place the statue in front of the old king. The Pandavas were looking at the scene with bewilderment. Then the king got up and embraced the statue in vice like grip shouting at the top of his voice, “O Duryodhana!” then he crushed it with his hands to powder. Such was the power that the old blind king had in his shoulders and arms. One could see that he wanted to take revenge on Bhima by killing him with his naked hands. Krishna knew the fire of anger and revenge burning in the heart of the old king. Hence he very perceptively switched the statue in place of Bhima and saved him from unexpected death.

Dhritarashtra was under the impression that he killed Bhima. So he shouted lifting his head heavenwards, “Pandu, my dear younger brother! Forgive me my sin. I have killed your son, Bhima.” With that he sat down.

Then Krishna told him,
“No dear King, you have not killed Bhima. That was just a statue that you crushed to powder. Knew you are unable to control your urge to kill Bhima. So I have got the statue before you and not Bhima. We do not know if the old king was happy that he was saved by Krishna from committing a grave sin or he was unhappy because his plan to kill Bhima did not work out according his plan.

In the inner chambers of Gandhari, we see her preparing to curse the Pandavas when they were about to come to her seeking her blessings. Rishi Vyasa visited her just then. he guessed her mind and told her it was not proper on her part to be in readiness to curse the Pandavas instead of blessing them. he also said,
“O Gandhari, you are such a woman who knew dharma and adharma. It was because Duryodhana’s way was not of righteous kind, you have refused to bless him with victory. Such a woman now sits waiting to curse the Pandavas? Would it be proper for her to do so?”

Gandhari replied,
“When I did not bless Duryodhana with victory, I was the queen of Hastinapur. Now I am just a mother who lost her hundred sons in one war. Also, respected sage! I am not lamenting that Dushasana was killed. But was it proper for Bhima to kill him and drink blood from his chest?”

Rishi Vyasa commented,
“Try and wipe your tears by the cloth of the deaths of warrior Abhimanyu and the five sons of the Pandavas. So don’t analyze who died how. Don’t count the corpses lying on the field of Kurukshetra. Every single dead body is the result of this unrighteous war called by Duryodhana. If you still want to curse them do it. The Pandavas will take it as a blessing only.”

Gandhari saw the futility and foolishness of giving curses to the Pandavas and she changed her mind.
All the five Pandavas and their mother Kunti and Krishna came along seeking her blessings. Kunti greeted her and said that your children want to get your blessings dear elder sister.”

First, Dharmaraja approached Gandhari, and touched her feet saying,
“Please accept my respectful regards, elder mother.”
“Ayushman bhava” (May you have long life)

Yudhishtar responded,
“How can I live in peace when I know that Bhima had killed Dushasana and drank his blood? And that he broke the thighs of Duryodhana.”

Answering Dharmaraja, Gandhari said,
“Bhima is not to be blamed. Both Dushasana and Duryodhana have committed grave mistakes against Draupadi, against Hastinapur and against the Bharat desh. What Bhima did was only to punish them and also he had to fulfill his vows.”
Then entered Dhritarashtra and said to his wife Gandhari,
“If you curse anyone at all, then curse me Gandhari. I am responsible for the annihilation of all the sons and countless people. So after cursing me your heart will be lightened and then we should retire to the forest.”
Arjuna was not able to bear the fact that their uncle Dhritarashtra and aunt Gandhari would go to the forest.

He asked his uncle with a heavy heart,
“Why do you have to go to the forest uncle?”
“Because I no longer have a claim on it. Also I am tired and old. You are the inheritor of the throne and the crown. I am merely the representative of my warrior brother Pandu. We have to retire after our period of participating in the societal activities. ”

His mother Kunti replied,
“We have to go to the forest because unless the past vacates the place, the present cannot take over.” Also I am tired and old. The Pandavas were stunned.

Arjuna asked again,
“You too mother? You want to go with uncle and aunt?”

Before she could reply, Krishna said,
“Why not Partha? Your mother too belongs to the past. You people must now be careful while cutting trees. It could be that either your uncle or aunt or your mother might have rested under its shade.”

Then Vidura asked Vidura asked Krishna,
“Why haven’t you mentioned my name Krishna? I too would like to go to the forest and retire there.”

Krishna replied,
“all of you should wait till the coronation of Dharmaraja is over.”

Dhritarashtra declined by saying that it would inauspicious for him to stay for the coronation ceremony of Yudhishtar the eldest of the Pandava brothers. But Dharmaraja Yudhishtar opposed him and convinced him to stay back for the coronation ceremony.

He said,
“I have always considered my ambition and my affection for my son Duryodhana more than the state. So I
© Copyright 2017 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/920862