*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/921744-Chapter-Three---Redeeming-Voices
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #2136501
Darkness settles on the land. A tale of powerful magic, war, gods, friends, and betrayal.
#921744 added October 15, 2017 at 5:36pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Three - Redeeming Voices
"We've been tricked." shouted King Jacove. "How could they possibly be so far ahead of us?" Two guards tended the King, arrows stuck from all three men. One guard bore three in his back, yet still knelt beside the King, holding him upright.

The feathered Counsel Patrius pulled a leaning chair from atop Prince Sano's body, rolled his shoulder to one side while gently cupping his head. Placing a palm to the Prince's mouth, he quickly stood and yelled. "He's alive. The Prince is alive." A guard threw two chairs out of the way before picking up the Prince and laying him on the huge table. He swung a metal arm, shoving plates and cups aside, and slid the limp Prince toward the open center.

"Hold him down." said the Counsel. "This will hurt." Two guards grabbed the boy by both arms and legs. The colorful Patrius pinched a scroll from an inside shirt pocket and began to chant. The boy's eyes opened, meeting the Counsel-man's in gruff, mid-speech.

"Stop!" he screamed. "I'm alright." said the young Prince, rolling distant eyes around the frantic room. "Father." He pushed the guard's mitts aside and dropped two stiff boots to the floor. Counsel Patrias lent an arm and took the staggering boy to the King's side. A man already stood over him, scroll in hand. "No," said young Sano, "if anyone heals my Father, it'll be me."

He took the man's scroll and touched the King's face. "Hold him, please." The two weary guards steadied the King, an arrow perched from the back of his shoulder plate. Prince Sano reached a shaking palm around the arrow and began chanting. The scroll faded blue and dissolved. A powdery mist fell over the King's head as Sano yanked the arrow. "Take off his armor."

Two guards lifted the grunting King higher, exposing his midriff and red-stained cotton shirt beneath the heavy chest plate. The golden armor was quickly thrown out of the way. Sano produced another scroll and set it in motion. The powdery magic rimmed the blood-spurting hole in faint blue. Red blood spilled upside down, pouring back into the wound.

"Thank the Goddesses you're alright." said the King. "Get me off this floor." He grunted and huffed when the three pulled arms, the leg plates practically falling off. The two guards had unlatched the bindings a moment earlier. "Monica. Where's my army to fetch my Monica," he yelled. "There's no King who would oppose me."

Queen Belisa stood directly behind Jacove. She pointed to the Prince first, then the shaking finger slowly pointed toward Jacove. "How am I supposed to... Supposed to do this... I can't do this, I just can't." She reached for the Prince, wrapping arms around him, then quickly pushed him back. "You were supposed to be the answer to our prayers. What happened to my daughter? You were supposed to protect her?"

"I'll do everything I can," he whispered, head down. He appeared very-much uninjured for someone who'd survived lightning.

"He'll do no such thing." shouted Jacove, "I'll handle this, my way. With a King's army."

"What army!" shouted Belisa. "You did nothing to stop them. They walked right in here and tricked us. You and your stupid army." she cried, tears running down her cheeks and dripping into Prince Sano's hands draping her own. "We've been had. What's to stop them from doing terrible things to..."

"Queen Mother," said the Prince. "I'll find a way."

"You've done enough," she shouted, tearing his fingers from hers. "You've done enough." she shook, nodding her head and walking away. "I expect a King to do whatever it is that a King must do," she said, picking up each side of her dress to climb the stairs but turned before leaving. "Bring my daughter back to me."

"My Lady." said the King and the boy in unison.

"I tried," said Jacove. "I can only say that I've tried to make our Kingdom a better place."

"It's partly my fault." said the Prince. "If I hadn't..."

"This isn't your fault, it's mine." shouted the King. "Tell me what to do." He looked to his Counsel and patted the Prince on the shoulder.

The man pulled off his flower-covered outfit and wig. "I'd send them what they want, Sire. You already know what I speak of. Send them exactly what they want with the men to carry it out."

The King turned and laughed. "I will." he huffed, slamming a fist on the table. "I'll give them exactly what they want."


Plans were made and Generals met with the King to receive those plans. Prince Sano was right there in the midst of them, seen and heard. He'd be a huge part of the plan. The next morning, he would meet with soldiers outside the Military stables.


The young Sano stood near the entrance of the Quartermaster's office. Two burly soldiers passed by, spoke to each other, stopped, and made way toward the boy standing with an arm in the air. "Are you my passage?" asked the Prince.

"They said to meet a blonde boy out front." said one, staring toward Sano, one eye squinting downward at his new leather shoes.

"You're a bit small for your looks, boy." said the other, a tall, young lass sporting shorter hair than was usual.

"They said I could find passage today into the next town." said the Prince. "And, I'm every bit as old as you are, mind you."

"Passage?" frowned the lazy-eyed man. "Do I look like a frothing pack mule, you stupid little..."

"I have gold." said Sano, holding two of the biggest gold coins they'd ever seen. The men inspected the gold and glanced at each other.

"Where am I going to break this kind of coin?" asked the man.

"Does it matter?" asked Prince Sano, holding an entire leather sack in the air. It looked very heavy for the young lad.

"Well, where do you need to go?" asked the youngest, a healthy fellow of brown hair and a chiseled nose. "I'm all ears."

"I'll tell you when we get there." said the Prince, throwing the sack over a shoulder and walking into the stable. "And, please be so kind as to remove those filthy uniforms."

One soldier looked at the other. "I just washed clothes yesterday." He smelled his pits and shuddered.

"Could've fooled me. Let's have a talk with this kid." Both accompanied the Prince into the Military stables.

In a few minutes, all three emerged on horseback. None looked like soldiers, nor a Prince. None carried the crest about them, nor any other distinction of Chiato. They galloped across the yard to one of the local stables, returning moments later with a large, horse-pulled wagon. One horse remained tied in the rear with eight pulling the painted monstrosity. Slugging down the road in a horde of dust, a sign came into view - Travelling Road Show.

"Walton, do you trust this guy?" asked the young soldier.

With one eye looking at the younger Prince on top of the wagon, the other looking to the young soldier, he spat a brown lump as soon as he spoke. "No more than I could throw him. And, I could throw that boy a mile, Ricardo."

"That's not my name," he whispered. "But, let's give him fake names if need be."

"Cool," said Walton, wiping a brown sleeve across his wet jaw. "I'm there. My name's Jed. Nice to meet you." He laughed, held a hand for Ricardo to shake. He pulled it back in the nick of time, leaving the younger with an open hand, which, of course, he spat upon. After the few words they exchanged, the lazy-eyed man gave up the reins and relaxed. He kept one eye on Sano, even while laying back against his ruck-sack and the other eye closed.
© Copyright 2017 RodneyGray (UN: rodneygray at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RodneyGray has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/921744-Chapter-Three---Redeeming-Voices