*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/921962-Chapter-Four---Tanos
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #2136501
Darkness settles on the land. A tale of powerful magic, war, gods, friends, and betrayal.
#921962 added October 18, 2017 at 10:07pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Four - Tanos
The three men traveled down a dusty wagon trail, eight horses in front and one in tow. The Prince did his best to keep the mission and his identity a secret, not knowing if anyone had been a spy or, at least, someone who might run their mouth. The 'Traveling Road Show' sign left the children in the streets in disbelief, to run and ask all the who, whats, whens, wheres, and whys, but the riders said nothing. Outside town, the winding wagon trail became another story.

"Three on horseback." said the lazy-eyed Jed. "Armed, saddle bags and lots of rope."

"Got it," said Ricardo, spying through a lengthy tube. "Make something up about coming to see the Road Show."

"Go for it." snorted Jed. "You're obviously a better liar." A deep-set grin washed over him as both eyes came together for once. His chin reminded one of a quivering puppy.

"But, you look like someone who belongs in a Road Show." smiled Ricardo. A hand rose in front of his face, guarding himself.

Jed rolled to one side and almost laughed. "Good one. You got me. But, your mother would have fit right in..."

"You son of a..." screamed Ricardo, grabbing Jed and tossing him off the wagon. To his dismay, Jed held tightly to his shirt.

The two hit the ground in a cloud of dust and brawled, wrestling and fists. The horsemen passed, watching and laughing. Prince Sano reached down from his perch on the wagon-top and pulled the reins, stopping the wagon before trampling the fighters.

"Stop this." screamed the Prince. "Stop it, now. I command you." he lowered his voice.

The two continued. A knife lashed out and was quickly grabbed and thrown aside. A rock flew, missing its target and Prince Sano's head. The two wrestled in the dirt, cursing and grunting like spiteful brothers. Suddenly, the two brawlers began to rise into the air, both suspended by an unseen force. Legs and arms flayed and swam desperately.

"Hey, stop it," said Jed. "We're above the wagon."

Both looked to the ground, then to Prince Sano, then to the three horsemen surrounding the wagon.

The Prince calmly lowered the glass wand, placing the two men gently on their feet, smiled to the horsemen and bowed from his wooden seat. "If you'd like to see more of the show, come see us in Tanos tomorrow night." He bowed again, winking at the two dusty brawlers. "Thank you, and good day."

The horsemen left, heading down the road toward the capital, Reynaldo, though they kept leaning and looking. The Prince's wand slid between his shoulder blades and disappeared. Jed smirked and patted the taller Ricardo on the back, ruffling dust.

"Don't do or say anything until we figure this out," whispered Jed. "I don't like it."

"Agreed," said Ricardo, staring straight into the Prince's eyes.


In the town of Tanos, known for their well-bred horses, the men found stables, checked their mares and roomed for the night. The inn was full of travelers, and some kept asking about the 'Road Show' signage.

"Ain't that your wagon?" asked the inn-keeper. He stood with crossed arms holding a towel swept over a shoulder.

"Uh, no. It's not ours," said Prince Sano. He laid a gold coin on the table. "A round of drinks, if you would be so kind, good Sir." The inn-keeper picked it up and smiled a toothless grin.

"I thought I seen you coming through here riding that thing." he continued.

"We have a different wagon, similar size and similarly made," said Prince Sano. "We wouldn't know how to put on a show, or whatever it is those sorts of people do."

"You sure do talk funny, might prim and proper." joked the toothless man.

"Cause he's not right in the head," said lazy-eyed Jed.

"No telling what he might say if you keep asking questions," said Ricardo, leaning into the man's ear. "I've seen other people catch what he has, so, I wouldn't." He nodded to the right and raised brows, casually letting the inn-keeper know to leave the boy alone.

"Well, I'll be..." said the inn-keeper, walking back to the bar.

The man brought two huge mugs and sat them in front of the soldiers and returned to the bar. He took a glass and filled it from a white, frothy bottle. "Here you go, son," he said as he sat the glass on the table next to the Prince. "Milk's on the house. We all hope you get better, I reckon." The two soldiers drinking ale spilled some in their pant-slapping laughter where they sat across from the boy. He also found himself mocked at every opportunity.


A few minutes later, the double-doors slammed. Something struck from outside, even though they remained barred shut and tight. Someone began to yell from the other side. "Let me in, please. Help me."

Jed, sitting nearest, ran over and raised the bars. The doors swung inside and a dust-covered man fell flat on his face.

"They almost got me." he laughed, taking his time to sit, slumping where he lay.

"What was it?" Jed asked, shaking the man until he faced him. "What almost got you?"

Prince Sano came over and offered the sitting man a hand. He wiped the moisture from his face and looked up from the floor, still breathing hard, though grinning excitedly - toothless.

"Were you in some kind of predicament, dear Sir," asked Sano.

The man rolled eyes, turned around and nodded to Jed. "Have you ever seen a haint? Well, I seen one." he continued. "Out there near that 'Road Show' wagon, there's a haint, sure as I'm sitting here, living and breathing. Thank the goddesses."

The Prince glanced through the open doorway. "We need to investigate. Let's go out and have a look."

Jed grabbed the man's arm and pulled him to his feet and held tightly for a moment. "We're not going out after dark."

Ricardo stood beside Jed and huffed, arms to his side, hovering over the shorter, dusty man. "Nobody goes out after dark. What were you doing out there?" he asked.

With a puzzled appearance, the man rubbed his chin and thought. "I was coming to get my evening drink. I get sick, sometimes."

"Evening drink?" asked the Prince, then handed the man his glass of milk. "Here."

"Close the door." yelled the inn-keeper. Most of the diners now stood and watched. Jed obliged, pushing the doors until they slammed shut.

Ricardo poked a finger into the man's chest. "What were you doing near that wagon?"

The man's head lowered somewhat. "I was searching fer stuff. But I'll never steal again, I swear on my life."

Ricardo grabbed the man's arm and pulled him closer. "If our stuff is gone, it's coming out of your hide," he whispered.

"Shall we see for ourselves?" said the Prince. "See if what he says is true, if there is a spirit."

"Not going out after dark. The King decrees it," said Jed.

"I'll deal with Kingly matters." said the Prince. "I'm going to see if there is spirit out there."

Ricardo stood over the little Prince and swung an arm low, between him and the door. "No-one leaves after dark."

"He's gone," said Prince Sano. "Thanks to your bickering and encouraging words, the thief has fled."

Jed turned to the crowd behind them. "Anyone see which way he went?" No-one said anything.

As Jed and Ricardo rushed toward the back to search the next room, the two front doors swung open in a clap of gushing wind. The Prince had already vanished into darkness. A thunderous lightning storm boiled in the distance, breaking dawn upon the horrors of the night..
© Copyright 2017 RodneyGray (UN: rodneygray at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RodneyGray has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/921962-Chapter-Four---Tanos