*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/922259-Camping
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#922259 added October 16, 2017 at 10:18pm
Restrictions: None
Camping
once went camping in the Fall (it was a school thing). It wasn't the best experience I have ever had. Do you have any camping experiences, either good or bad? And if not, what do you think it would be like if you went camping?
         Oh, yes, I certainly have camping experience. No matter the weather, or season I have camped. I've stayed in tents, big and small, plus trailers. For the most part, all my experiences have been memorable and enjoyable.
         Camping in the winter with its cold temperatures, snow and ice is not for the faint of heart. Basically, you are always dressed, and your clothing is donned in layers. You learn to appreciate water proof outerwear, and warm boots. Your movements become measured and deliberate because of the bulk. Setting and igniting a campfire is possible. It takes more planning than a summer effort.
         I've survived camping disasters such as tent cave-ins, tent collapses, leaking tents, torn tents, and tents billowing in the wind. Luckily, I've never had to share my tent with wildlife. A friend once awoke to a sensation of something slowly crawling up her body as she lay on the ground rolled into her sleeping bag. She opened her eyes to see a baby skunk staring at her, nose to nose. All she could think to do was hold her breath and wait. The "skunkster" sniffed and peed on her before waddling away.
         Years ago, when I was a kid, one of the family dogs argued with a skunk, and lost. There's nothing quite like the strong smell of a "perfumed" canine in the close quarters of a canvas tent.
         Inevitably, there have been personal injuries, too. Accidents range from burns and stitches to fractures and sprains. The outdoors is so rough with uneven terrain. Tree roots and rocks constantly trip me, as does the fire pit. During one exceptionally memorable weekend, my eldest daughter inadvertently struck her friend with a baseball bat, causing a horrific scalp injury. On another outing, my son became trapped/stuck inside an army tank, and his rescue involved a campground of off-duty firefighters. There was even a third camping weekend in which my youngest fell off a moored boat into deep water. My hubby also fell in attempting to rescue her. She and he were desperate to warm themselves afterwards, but they'd soaked their only jackets and shoes. Sigh, camping does have its moments.
         I have mentioned camping before...
 MAY 24  (13+)
In Canada, we have finally shed our woollies and we anticipate our non-winter!!
#1989662 by SandraLynn Team Florent!


© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/922259-Camping