*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/922733-Forgiveness
by QPdoll
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #2109246
Short Stories, poems, and other writings.
#922733 added October 29, 2017 at 11:10am
Restrictions: None
Forgiveness
Carol stood at the sink washing some plasticware when she heard the front door slam.

"Who just slammed my door?" she called out.

Whoever it was now stomped up the steps to the second floor. Not ten seconds later another door slammed.

Since she didn't get a response to her question she rinsed off her hands and grabbed a towel to dry them as she strode toward the stairs.

She reached the top and turned to see which door was closed. Vanessa. I should have known. She stepped to the door and knocked.

"Vanessa?"

No answer.

"Vanessa, do you want to talk?"

"Fine."

Carol turned the handle and pushed open the colonial two-panel door. She found her daughter lying facedown on her bed.

"Based on the noise I just heard I'm guessing that something's made you angry. What's wrong, sweetheart?"

Tears streamed down her face as she rolled over and sat up.

"It's Kim."

"What about Kim?"

"She lied to me, Mom. She said that she was going to come over this weekend and go to the mall with me, but then I found out that she got a better invitation from one of the popular girls at school. They have nothing in common, Mom. I don't know why she's going over to Stephanie's house instead."

"Well, I can't say why, either, honey. I'm sorry you're so upset. I would be disappointed, too."

She pushed back a strand of hair that fell on Vanessa's face.

"What can we do together this weekend that will help you to feel better?"

Vanessa sniffed and grabbed a tissue from her bedside table.

"I don't know, Mom. I definitely don't want to go to the mall."

"Well, we can go out for breakfast and then we can go shopping or to the park. I know you like to write. We could also go to the bookstore and the library. Do any of those things sound good?"

Vanessa rubbed her hand across her eye.

"Yeah, I guess. I do like the bookstore. Can we go to Starbucks for breakfast?"

"Sure."

Carol gave her a tight squeeze and kissed her head.

"Maybe you should journal and get things out of your system. I have to go back downstairs and finish dishes and get dinner going."

"Okay. Thanks, Mom."

"You're welcome, honey. I love you."

"I love you, too."

Later as they sat down to dinner with the rest of the family, Carol brought up the subject again. She wanted Vanessa to learn something from her experience earlier in the day.

"Vanessa, do you think that you can forgive Kim?"

"I don't know, Mom. She really hurt my feelings."

"What did she do?" her brother, Sam, asked."

"She made plans to hang out with me this weekend and then dumped me for Stephanie."

"Ooh, tough subject," he said.

"Well, your Dad and I were discussing the situation and we think that it will do you good to forgive her. It's the Christian thing to do."

Vanessa looked at her dad like he had two heads.

"Are you crazy, Dad? She doesn't deserve my forgiveness. I still can't believe she dumped me for the popular girl. Well, forget her. I'll find something else to do."

Carol spoke up. "Yeah, we're going to spend some time together tomorrow."

"Well, what are you girls going to do?"

"Mom's taking me to Starbucks and then we're going to the bookstore."

"Oh, no! Not the bookstore. I don't think I've got the budget for that!"

He smirked and winked at Vanessa.

"Stop, Dad."

He put his hand on top of hers and squeezed.

"Young lady, I want you to go out tomorrow and enjoy your day with your Mom. But I do want to ask you to at least give the idea of forgiving Kim a little thought. Everyone deserves forgiveness."

It will be a long time before I can forgive her.

"So, Sam. What are your plans while you're back home for the weekend?"

"I'm going to hang out with Paul. He's home, too. We'll probably go to the sports bar tonight."

"Well, don't drink too much."

The next day Carol got up, took a shower, and got dressed for the day. She thought about what would make her daughter feel better and hoped that spending some time with her mom would help. She didn't want Vanessa to think that shopping was the way to 'fix' things when she got upset or angry.

She stopped at Vanessa's room and quietly opened the door to find Vanessa sitting at her desk putting on makeup.

"Well, good morning. I wasn't sure you'd be awake yet."

"Yeah, I set my alarm. I want to get this day started."

"Okay. Well, when you're done come on down and we'll go."

"Alright. I'll be down in a few minutes."

Carol continued downstairs to get the coffee maker set up for Don when he got up. All he had to do was turn it on. Her son, who was in college, came home last night so he'll share the coffee with his dad.

A few minutes later Vanessa came down the stairs.

"Are you ready, Mom?"

"Yep. Let's do this."

They walked out to the car and set off to Starbucks.

* * * * *


When they arrived there wasn't much of a crowd, which was somewhat unreal. The place was usually packed. God surely blessed them with no line.

The two sat and enjoyed their breakfast and conversation. They talked about different books they'd heard about and was looking forward to reading.

They finished up their breakfast and got back in the car to make their way to the bookstore. They spent hours in the bookstore reading and deciding on what books they wanted to buy. Carol had to throw out a budget or they'd spend hundreds of dollars on the different books they both wanted.

"Remember, there's a budget here. No more than thirty dollars, okay?"

"Okay. I think I can handle that. Thanks, Mom."

Carol smiled. "You're welcome."

They perused the books until they made their final decisions. They took them to the checkout and they were back in the car.

"What would you like to do now?"

Vanessa thought for a minute. "We've never been in that jewelry store over there. Can we go look around and see what they've got?"

"Absolutely. I've wanted to stop in there before but never had time. Let's do it."

They walked to the jewelry store and spent a good thirty minutes checking out what they had. Carol decided to buy an earring, necklace, and bracelet set for Vanessa and a bracelet for herself.

"Thanks, Mom. You didn't have to do that. You've already spent enough money on me today."

"No, I didn't have to, but I wanted to. Are you ready to head home or do you have something else you'd like to do?"

"I think I'd like to go on home now. Will you make me a hot chocolate? I'd love to drink hot chocolate and start reading one of my books."

"We can do that. Maybe I'll have some coffee and do the same thing."

Vanessa stopped her Mom before they got back to the car and gave her a kiss on the cheek and a hug.

"Thank you, Mom. I've had fun today."

Carol squeezed her back.

"I've had a good time to, honey. We'll have to make a point to do something like this once a month. What do you think?"

"I think it sounds great."

The look on Vanessa's face warmed Carol's heart.

* * * * *


They arrived home to find Don going over their bills and expenses. Don was an accountant and had out their budget book.

"Uh-oh. What's going on?"

"Oh, I'm just going through the bills. Nothing major. How was your outing?"

"It was great, Dad. We had a good time and I got a book I've been wanting for a while."

She showed her dad the book while Carol began working on the hot chocolate.

"Have we gone over our budget anywhere?" Carol asked.

"Not yet. What did you girls spend today? That may be the tipping point."

"Well, we spent about twenty-five dollars at Starbucks, with taxes we spent about fifty dollars at the bookstore, and I spent twenty dollars more at the jewelry store."

"That was an expensive outing."

"Yes, it was. But it was for a good cause."

He looked at his daughter and smiled. "You're right. Did today help a little?"

"Well, I think so. I'm still mad about the situation. Kim and I have been friends for a long time and it hurts that she chose the popular girl over her long-time friend. Well, I hope she gets disappointed by her soon. It probably won't take very long. With Stephanie, everything's always about her."

"How do you know that?"

"I can tell by her actions at school. Her friends," she air quotes, "follow her around like little puppy dogs and do whatever she asks them to do. It's sickening. I'd hate to see Kim part of that crowd."

"You know, sometimes we don't make the best decisions. I think this is one of those times for Kim. I have a feeling she'll come back around to you. Right now, she thinks being friends with Stephanie will make more friends for her, and maybe she will make a friend out of this. But your friendship is strong and I think it will survive this little hiccup. Just remember, forgiveness is freeing."

Vanessa gave her dad a hug. "Thanks, Dad. I hope you're right."

Carol walked to the table with a cup of hot chocolate. "Here you go, honey. Enjoy."

Vanessa smiled at her mom and gave her a big hug. "Thank you for taking me out today. I had fun."

"Me too. Now go on up and enjoy your hot chocolate and book. I'll call you when lunch is done."

"Okay."

She took her hot chocolate up to her room and quietly closed the door.

* * * * *


The next day Vanessa's alarm clock went off at seven o'clock. It was time to get up and dressed for church. She didn't really want to dress up so she put on some khaki pants with a nice top and slipped on a pair of flats. Then she sat at her desk to put on her makeup and brush her hair.

Downstairs Carol and Don had already dressed and was working to get breakfast fixed. Don was cooking a bacon and eggs breakfast today, something usually only done on special occasions.

Vanessa smelled the bacon cooking when she came down the stairs.

"What's the special occasion, Dad?"

"You are the special occasion. Just wanted to show you how much we love you."

"Thanks, Dad."

"Mmm, something smells good down here," Sam said as he strolled in. "What's the special occasion?"

"Me," Vanessa said and smiled up at him.

"Ugh. What makes you so special?" he quipped and winked at his sister.

"I've always been special and you know it."

He smiled and pulled her into him for a hug. "I love ya, Sis."

"I love you, too, Sam."

They all enjoyed breakfast together and talked about plans for Thanksgiving which was going to be here sooner than they knew.

Finishing up breakfast they all put their dishes in the dishwasher and Carol started it. They piled into Don's car and set off for church.

It was interesting that the Pastor's sermon happened to be on nothing else but forgiveness.

Vanessa listened intently and let the message soak in. She and Kim had been friends for a long time. She was beginning to understand that Kim's desire for popularity was driving her to make some not so smart decisions. Eventually, she would come around and remember her true friend.

On their way back home the family discussed the sermon and Vanessa shared her realization. She thought she would be able to forgive her friend when she came back.

It would be a full week of not hanging out with Kim as she followed Stephanie around school. It saddened Vanessa to see it. She felt alone and missed her friend.

The following Saturday as Vanessa sat in her room reading more of her book, she got a call from Kim.

"Hey."

"Hi, Kim. How's it going?"

"Okay, I guess. What are you doing?"

"I'm reading that new book I wanted, So Not Happening. What are you doing?"

"Well, I've been thinking about last weekend when we were supposed to hang out together."

"Yeah, you dumped me for Stephanie. That hurt, Kim. That really hurt."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. Is there any way you would agree to hang out now?"

"Not this weekend. But maybe we can work something out for next weekend. Are you going to be walking with her this week at school?"

"No. I was hoping to hang with you again like we used to. Is that okay?"

"Sure. I'll meet you on Monday at the flagpole."

The two met on Monday and worked things out between them. Kim has promised never to do anything like that again. Vanessa forgave Kim and their friendship has grown even stronger.








© Copyright 2017 QPdoll (UN: eager2write at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
QPdoll has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/922733-Forgiveness