*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/922847
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Mystery · #2134234
Scooby Doo meets the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew minus Scooby Doo. It's a ghost mystery.
#922847 added October 29, 2017 at 9:14am
Restrictions: None
October 28th, 2017 - The First of October
“The First of October”

A Short Story

Written By

PureSciFiPlus
Aka PureSciFi


     Rebecca was tapping away on her laptop. She was the only one in the treehouse. Yet, she was talking as though the others were there too. “This is the first day of October. And we have decided to stop our latest ghost mystery for tonight. We are going haunted housing tonight. At least we will once the others get here.”

     Just then Brandon entered. “I’m here. Let’s go.”

     “I am ready to go. But it’s just the two of us. Nora and Jasper aren’t here yet.”

     “They should be here at any time. I know that Nora will be because she called me on my way here to tell me that she would be a little late.”

     “Jasper called me too. He said he would also be a little late.”

     Just then Nora and Jasper entered. “We are here,” said Nora. “Now we can go haunted housing,” said Jasper.

     “How did you know we were already here?” Brandon asked.

     “Because we both called you on our way here. I called Brandon and Jasper call Rebecca.”

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====


     The Tween Detectives just left one haunted house. And as they headed for the sidewalk in front of it, they got a few more scares from the haunted front yard. “That haunted house was great,” said Nora.

     “I liked it too,” said Jasper. “But I didn’t think it was so great.”

     After they reached the sidewalk, they turned and started walking down it. “I didn’t think it was all that great,” said Brandon. “It was just like the other two haunted houses we have gone to tonight.”

     “They are all going to be like them,” said Rebecca. “But I don’t care. This is my first year. And I want to see them all.”

     “What are you talking about?” Jasper asked. “We have been visiting haunted houses since we were about six or seven.”

     “Yes, we have. But this is the first time I have been able to do it on my own without my parents holding my hands.”

     Nora suddenly stopped and looked up at the mansion on top of the mountain. So, did the other Tween Detectives. “Did you just say that you wanted to go to every haunted house?” Nora asked.

     “There are five or six more. And I want to go to all of them.”

     Brandon looked at Nora, then at the mansion. “Does that include The Haunted Mansion?”

     “Of course, I mean The Haunted Mansion. I want to go to that one most of all.”

     “We can’t go to that one,” Jasper said quickly. “I mean, I can’t. It’s my parents. They say that I can’t go to that one. I can go to any of the others. But not The Haunted Mansion.”

     “I want to go to that one too,” said Nora. “But we don’t have to go to that one. Besides, it’s not worth going all the way up there. It’s just going to be like all the others. There is nothing that is going to happen there that isn’t going to happen at the other ones.”

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====


     A few hours later, after The Tween Detectives had finished touring all the haunted houses in Middletown, newspapers were thrown on the porches of all four of The Tween Detectives. Each one of them picked up those newspapers. But they didn’t read, or even look down, at them. They just took them inside. If they had looked at them, they would have saw the headline on the front page. It read, “A visitor disappeared from a tour of The Haunted Mansion last night.”


Word Count = 591




© Copyright 2017 PureSciFiPlus (UN: purescifi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
PureSciFiPlus has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/922847