*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/923051-Halloween-Past
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1921220
My thoughts released; a mind set free
#923051 added November 1, 2017 at 3:23pm
Restrictions: None
Halloween Past
Halloween has passed, the witching hours have passed for another year. I didn't get to participate in the festivities last night; I was at work. In years past, when the children were younger, I liked to get in costume for the occasion and go out trick or treating with them. I also enjoyed some of the local contests held by some of the bars in our area, usually along with a local band playing.

Now days, the children are grown and most have children of their own and continue the tradition. My wife and I do dress up a bit some times, depending on what is happening. Last night I was restricted to dressing up as a security guard, the same as any other day at work. Rhonda was home and handed out candy to the few children that stopped by. Living in a small rural town, we do't get many trick or treaters. Last night she had eight children visit in costume. Not too bad of a night for our area, however we both enjoy seeing the children dressed up and would like to have more stop by.

At work, there usually aren't any costumed children stopping by the yard entrance. Last night, however, one shopper did stop by to pick up an item after taking the children out trick or treating, so I did get to enjoy seeing them. We have suckers we hand out at work to the children, so I was able to give them all treats, including mom and dad, who also had dressed up.

Dad was a scarecrow, but had lost his stuffing by this time, his wife was attired in a very pretty sparkling gown and mask, such as worn to masquerade balls in the past. The oldest boy was dressed up as a football player, likely his own uniform for school sports, the younger boy a clown, a very nicely done outfit and make-up. I assume mom assisted him. The oldest girl was a witch, another nice costume with a good job done with make-up. My favorite was the younger girl, likely around six or seven. She was done up in a Raggedy Anne outfit, complete with red hair and very well applied make-up. Her finishing touches where her baby brother, less than a year old I would guess. He was dressed and done up to look like a Raggedy Andy doll she held  for me to show off the entire costume.

Seeing this family all dressed up and enjoying the evening together brought back many happy memories, a sense of deja vu, and made my night.

© Copyright 2017 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/923051-Halloween-Past