*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/923130
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #2139596
Tray, a half-breed Bounty Hunter, must choose between his people and the woman he loves
#923130 added November 3, 2017 at 12:53am
Restrictions: None
Chapter Three - The Cabin

Together they walked into the Sheriff's office and delivered the prisoner. There was no conversation all the way home. If he saw her looking at him, she would blush and turn away.Tray couldn't figure how to read her as a person. Generally, he had no problem in sizing up people by their actions, but this...this was different. To ask her? That was out of the question.

"Hey...um...Dax can I give you a ride home?"

"Thanks but...no, we'll walk. It's not far." Tray was a different kind of man. She had never known anyone like him before. She was seeing a whole new world with him before her and that scared her. She was always so sure of herself and everything always had to be on her terms. But now...she wasn't so sure.

His heart felt heavy as he watched her walk away. He looked down at Wolf, "come on boy let's go, our work here is done.

He entered the bar and took his seat at the counter, "the usual Vi." She set the beer and shot down in front of him. He stared at the two and thought of the events from the previous day. Two hours had passed. The same beer and shot sat before him. Feelings had awaken. Feelings that were new, and he wasn't sure how to deal with them. He was never taught that.

"Tray?" He turned and saw Dax sitting next to him.

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. I just needed some time to myself, and I was told that you may still be here."

"Dax...Hi! Oh yea, I just needed to unwind some. Can I get you something?"

"Sure...I'll have what you're having." She blushed as Tray summoned Vi back over and ordered for her.

Tray winked, "Do you always blush like that?"

"Do you always ware that hat?"

They laughed and Tray felt that a new avenue had opened. Dax told him of her family and moving to New York, her job at the newspaper, and how much she hated it. That was the reason why she came back to Jackson Hole. She missed her hometown and being to look at the mountains every morning.

"Tell me...why the mountains?

"Oh...because I admire them. They are so old and strong looking, and it so beautiful and peaceful up there. I could spend weeks up there. How about you? Any family?"

Tray dropped his head and signed from his throat. "Ah...no." He spoke fondly of his father and told her how he died when he was. ten."

"I'm sorry. How about your mother, you didn't mentioned her."

Tray shifted his weight and felt his body stiffen. Not many people around here had accepted her. They couldn't see past the fact that she was a Sioux. They didn't know her for the kind, loving person that she was. Tray decided to tell Dax the truth. When he had finished, he looked into her eyes. She didn't say anything, she didn't have too. Her eyes and smile said it all. She understood.

She laid her hand on his shoulder. Her voice was soft and compassionate, "Did you stay with other family?"

"Yes, my uncle took me in. We spent a lot time together in the mountains. After my father died, he continued to teach me tracking and other survival skills."

"I hear that you are known as the best tracker in three states."

Tray smiled and chuckled, "Nah...I'm not the best. I know of two others that out track me, my uncle is one."

Her eyes opened wide with questions, "your uncle? Is he a bounty hunter too?"

He nodded his head, "yes."

She placed her elbow on the counter and rested her chin in her palm, "is he still around here?

"Nah, the last I heard he was working around California and Nevada.

"My dad use to take me and my brothers hunting, when we lived here, but was before he traded his survival kick in for a cushy job in New York." Puzzled,Tray looked over at her.

"Oh don't get me wrong, I loved being pampered, having money, and all that—but I just didn't like New York. Life doesn't seem to have a purpose there, not like here anyway. Do you go to the mountains often?"

Tray signaled Vi for two more, smiled his half smile, and tilted his hat back, "actually...I live up there."

"You live...up there! OMG! Where bouts?"

Tray chuckled, "it is in the heart of the Tetons on the Oxbow." He told her of the cabin's history and that he was born there. Her eyes sparkled as she leaned forward...hung on every word. When he had finished she threw herself against the back of her chair and rubbed her fingers through her hair, "Oh...OMG! It sounds absolutely gorgeous!"

He blushed and swallowed hard, "Would you like to see it?"

Dax let out a gasp, "Would I ever...when!"

How about tomorrow, but you'll need to bring your horse."

"It's a date...Mr. ah, what is your full name anyway?"

Tray blushed again, Tray, just plain Tray.

Dax threw her head back and laughed, "All right Mr. plain Tray, it's a date!"

He grinned, "okay, I'll pick you up at seven in the morning and Ill bring my trailer, okay?"

She nodded her head, held out her hand. Her smile was radiant, "let's dance!"

Daybreak, and Tray was up preparing for the journey ahead. He already had Bess packed with provisions for a week. Sure you got enough, boy? He laughed at himself, "I can't believe it! I acting like a school boy going on a first date, he laughed again. Oh well, it don't hurt to be prepared." He looked the mirror to check himself out. Well...ooph...it's been awhile since I've been in these duds! Instead of buckskins, he dressed himself in blue jeans, a black shirt and his light blue jacket. "Not bad, eh...Wolf?" Wolf laid down on the rug and covered his face with his paws. "Thank you very much!" Tray smiled and opened the door to go outside, "well... if you're coming with me...come on!" His dog got up and followed.

He paused on the front porch and looked out over the lower meadow. He turned to see Dax pulling onto the gravel driveway. She leaped from the truck and ran to where he was standing, "I thought it would easier for me to meet you here.

"Tray smiled, "that's fine, are you anxious to get started?"

Dax turned and ran back to the her trailer and unloaded her horse, and led him over to where Kit and Bess were tied. She checked her saddle and ran back to the cab and pulled her camera out and stuffed it into her saddle bag. She turned to face Tray, "Sure am...say! Don't you look nice! No buckskins today?" Tray caught her wink.

"Okay, mount up."

Both situated on their horses, he called to Wolf, "come on boy, lets move!"

Dax followed behind him as he led the way through the meadow.

Tray pulled Kit to a stop and allowed Dax to come up beside him, Leigh Lake is about thirty minutes ahead. "I thought that we would stop and rest the horses. It is a good place for taking pictures, and a real nice spot to have lunch. Is that okay with you?"

"Absolutely!"

"Oh...Tray!" She couldn't believe her eyes when she saw the lake. Its crystal clear water reflecting the mountain scenery was breath taking. "Oh...look! It has a beach too! Can we eat over there?"
Tray smiled and nodded his head. Movement caught the corner of his eye. He pulled Dax to a crouching position and placed his finger to his lips and pointed to the far side of the lake. A small herd of moose were approaching the water. Dax grabbed her camera and took several pictures.

Before reaching the cabin, she took pictures of deer, a bear with her cub, and the beautiful purple Lower Larkspur that Tray explained was one of many wild flowers located throughout the mountains. She was thrilled. Dax dismounted in front of the cabin and made a slow three-hundred and sixty degree turn.

"OMG Tray, no wonder your father picked this spot, it is divine! Oh, OMG, what are those falls over there?

"They're 'Hidden Falls' because of there seclusion."

"How could anyone leave such a place!"

He smiled, "I guess that one just has to be able to feel it. It'll be dark soon, would you like to go inside? I'll go and get some water for after dinner."

She strolled around the cabin in hopes of catching a glimpse of his life. She saw a painting of a beautiful Indian women hanging on the wall beside the picture of a red-haired man in a coon skin hat. She stood there and stared, cocking head from one side to the other.

"My parents." sounded a soft voice from the doorway.

She jumped and turned to see Tray standing there.

"Is that your mother?"

He nodded his head, "yes...I painted both of them from memory."

Loss for words, "she is so beautiful, and you painted those pictures?"

He blushed and nodded his head.

Together they cleaned up from dinner. Dax went over to the fireplace and made herself comfortable on the bear skin rug. She motioned for Tray to follow. Taking a hold of his hand, she pulled him down next to her.













© Copyright 2017 Chrys O'Shea (UN: kb6vas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chrys O'Shea has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/923130