*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/923347-Five-Poetry-Books-to-Read-When-Things-Fall-Apart
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#923347 added November 5, 2017 at 6:28pm
Restrictions: None
Five Poetry Books to Read When Things Fall Apart
Lately, I have been struggling. I have struggled with everything. Other than my own health problems, which make life extremely complicated for me, my father has been in the hospital for the last few weeks and it's not looking good. Although things have fallen apart, I have poetry to read, and it has provided me with more solace than words can say. I have compiled this list of poetry books that make for good reading when the times are bad. (Note: I have avoided including novels in verse.)

Hard Times Require Furious Dancing by Alice Walker
I currently have this volume checked out of the library. It's the first thing I have read by Alice Walker. I haven't even finished reading it yet, but I don't need to be finished to recommend it. The title says it all. While I am not in love with every poem, the poems I am in love with are pure perfection. This poetry volume came to me when I needed it most, as though fate intervened. Hard times do require furious dancing, but they also require reading these poems.

And Still I Rise by Maya Angelou
Maya Angelou is a brilliant poet. This is by far her best poetry volume, filled with poems that make you think and feel. This is the kind of poetry that absorbs you, no matter what state your life is in. If you aren't sure that you want to read poetry, find Angelou's reading of the titular poem on youtube.

The Children's Classic Poetry Collection, edited by Nicola Baxter
This particular volume is filled with some of the best classic poems out there. This is the poetry I grew up reading. This is the poetry that made me love poetry. I know that no matter the mood, this volume contains something I need. No matter how hard things get, this volume is filled with pure comfort.

October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard by Leslea Newman
If you are in need of catharsis, this poetry collection can provide it. I don't think I have ever cried as hard while reading poetry as I did when reading this book. It may not describe the situation I am in, but when I need a vehicle for my emotions, I know I can rely on these poems to channel all of my negative feelings.

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
Shel Silverstein generally offers the purest form of poetic escapism, and Where the Sidewalk Ends is the defining book for that pure poetic escapism. Sometimes the best thing to do with yourself is to allow yourself time to escape to a place that is filled with something other than pain. You have the right to feel better for five minutes, and Silverstein can help get you there.

© Copyright 2017 Lady Elizabeth Mormont (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lady Elizabeth Mormont has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/923347-Five-Poetry-Books-to-Read-When-Things-Fall-Apart