*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/924107-Making-the-Past-Right
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#924107 added November 20, 2017 at 9:46pm
Restrictions: None
Making the Past Right
Blog City - Day 1344


Marge Piercy said: "“I want to do something very important. Like fly into the past and make it come out right.”
Have you ever thought about this? Do you use the idea in your writing?

I don't know if I would say I want it to come out right... but I want to change the details to my liking. To create a story from the drama and make it come out a bit more focused and black and white. The real thing can always seem so hazy. Each side has a story to tell; I just want to focus on one side or the other. There is also something to be said for giving a real event time... say, ten years... so that it can settle and you can get some new perspective and distance - particularly if the event was emotionally charged. Delving in, you can still touch the emotional impact, but you have space to move without the pain being fresh. Fresh pain distorts. Fresh pain leads to an idealized vision... that can also paint the characters into polarizing places - victim and angel. Characters can become caricatures of what they really are... and that is not good story telling.


© Copyright 2017 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/924107-Making-the-Past-Right