*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/925309-Winner
Rated: E · Book · Technology · #1973676
Thoughts from time to time.
#925309 added December 14, 2017 at 4:16pm
Restrictions: None
Winner
  Has anyone ever wondered how some towns got their names. Thermopholis Wyoming, Fairbanks Alaska, Epiphany (E-pif-any)South Dakota. Lets talk about Winner South Dakota and how the town got it's name!


 


  In 1905 a town was established called Lamro, supposedly by where the train tracks were coming. Three years later the train came through and missed the town by two and a half miles. The railroad put in a depot alongside the tracks and people immediately started building by the depot. They named the place Winner because it would be the winning place to be.





    Lamro partitioned the railroad to move the depot one mile west alongside the tracks and name the site Lamro! Why not just change the original depot's name? It was already Winner! Why get into a dispute as a third party?





    From the Lamro Journal (January 28,1910


It is all off. The struggle is over! We are going to Winner. Like Saul of Tarsus, we for a time fought against the inevitable, and likewise heard a voice saying, "It is hard to kick against the pricks!" The battle is over, we feel the relief which comes to a new convert who has shaken off the shackles of sin!





  We have studied this move carefully. It has cost us many hours of sleep. The only conclusions we can reach are these: Winner has the depot; we want to be in a railroad town; we would just as soon be here as on a railroad without a depot; that one move is better then two.





  One week after it was announced in the Journal of the loss, thirty of the fifty five building were moved to Winner and Winner went on to become the county site of Tripp Co.





    Like the towns before eluded to, in Lamro temperatures had risen, nothing could be banked on to be fair but the people had an epiphany and all became winners in the end!         

© Copyright 2017 charlie55 (UN: charlie55 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
charlie55 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/925309-Winner