*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/925835-January-Fantasy-Newsletter-deadline-12217--859-PT
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#925835 added January 24, 2018 at 3:27pm
Restrictions: None
January Fantasy Newsletter (deadline 1/22/17 @ 8:59 PT)
Editors Picks

1. The Crystal Keepers CH.1 PART 1
2. Dreamland
3. Them Buttons
4. What Every President Should Know
5. The Shorn Queen
6. Tomorrow
7. The Unicorn Danced
8. Star Trek: Generations
9.

Title

Creation Myths
Title 2

Symbolic stories about how the world began.
Hook

Creation myths are stories or legends expressing profound truth to the next generation.
About this Newsletter

My personal definition of creation myths are narrative stories or poems that answer the questions who, when, where, why, how, and what, but not necessarily in that order.

Letter From the Editor

I was doing research on an essay wanted to write about Iceland. One of the subjects I research, when beginning an essay on a country I have never visited, is the nations myths and legends. In this case, many of the legends included creation myths. Since Iceland was first colonized by the Vikings, many of their creation stories contain creatures from Viking lore. However, every religion, nation, or indigenous (first people) cultures has their own creation narratives, which express, in symbolic language, profound truths that are passed from generation to generation.

According to the an article I read (in Wikipedia) there are five categories or themes of creation narratives. These five themes are (1) creation through a word, though, or dream of a god or goddess, (2) creation through some type of creature (sent by a god or goddess) who dives into an ancient ocean, (3) creation emerges through a series of transformations, (4) creation is the results of separation of something, and (5) creation coming from disorder. For a better explanation of these five themes see Creation myth  .

The three things these myths have in common are (1) they explain how the world and humanity began, (2) they have theological and/or philosophical implications, and (3) they are symbolic explanation of the process of creation. A symbolic explanation involves the use of metaphors and similes to express a deeper truth or insight about the subject.

I have a challenge for those reading this newsletter. Write a creation myth about one of the worlds you use in your stories. If you want to write a story about a creation myth from your culture or nations legends you may do that as well. Please submit your story by Saturday, February 17. The story can be submitted at the bottom of the newsletter in "Writing.Com Item ID To Highlight."

Editors Picks

 The Crystal Keepers CH.1 PART 1  (13+)
The story begins.
#2141584 by J.M. Arlen

Excerpt: And here it was, the place where this story begins: on a dark cloudless night, in a land some might say was far far away. Although, that was not entirely true; because in fact this land was not far far away, but very nearby: located in a separate but equal place in time.

 Dreamland  (E)
A New Year fairy tale
#2144426 by Katerina Arhipova

Excerpt: Being a child she used to live high above, right under the roof. She came up to the window in summer and looking out imagined being Mary Poppins flying down using umbrella. She once was very close to try it but her parents caught her. In wintertime she saw the snow falling from the sky and dreamed that it would make a huge snow mountain that would reach her balcony and she would slide down to go for a walk.

STATIC
Them Buttons  (13+)
Abduction of a southern gentleman.
#2139555 by Genipher

Excerpt: Mah 'ol hound dog, Biff, was barkin' up a storm. Not a real storm, mind you, 'cause he ain't got that kinda power. Unlike mah girlfriend, Lizzie-Ann, who has all sorts of superpowers. Her best one is freezin' a man in place with her stink-eye.

 
BOOK
What every President knows  (ASR)
The awful truth about the harvesting
#2143668 by bob county

Excerpt: There are hundreds of religions and thousands of philosophies.
         Who would believe anything?
         But, people respect power. Power can conquer and rule.
         Such is the unhappy responsibility of a young President.
         His actions will change the world.

STATIC
The Shorn Queen  (E)
A princess who is not, a horse who is not, and a stranger on a hill. Fantasy. Ch.1
#2144545 by Jaeyne of the Free Fab Five

Excerpt: The woman sat atop her massive horse, looking to the east. She placed her hand above her eyes, straining against the ochre rays of the morning sun, willing her vision to see farther. On any other morning, she would have taken greater notice of how the sun sparkled as it bounced through the mist. Today, from her position behind the lowland wall, she cursed that it only further impeded her view of the men on the hill. It was foolish of them to venture out before the fog had fully lifted. Whatever was up there was important enough that they had risked leaving before the sun had burned off the night’s veil.

 Tomorrow  (E)
Daily Flash Fiction - 1st of January 2018 "Happy new year!"
#2144739 by Sebastian

Excerpt: The Galactic New Year isn’t really celebrated outside the rim. Heck, not even the Narfans cares too much about it and they invented it! But here on Mazarint it’s a beloved holiday for there’s power in controlling the galactical sort of things. And where there’s power, there’s coin.
With his Bio-adjuster, Forqe now looked exactly like a mazarian. With his new fingerprint, he paid the driver and got a “Happy new year!” before the cab hovered back into the fast lane. Not even the latest Xeno-scanners on the Mazarit HQ would detect he was anything other than the well-known politician Mr Dinkle Gubble.

 The Unicorn Danced  (E)
A man witnesses a strange occurrence in his yard. 2018 Quill nominee.
#2145365 by Dan I Am

Excerpt: Today I saw a unicorn
         cavorting on my lawn.
         It waltzed with my cat, Twinkletoes,
         and cha cha’d with a fawn.

 Star Trek: Generation Gap  (E)
A sample of a story I'm writing. It slightly alters events after ST: Generations.
#1513622 by Jason Billingham

Excerpt: One man fallen, the other severely battered. This was how it ended. With Sauran destroyed along with his trilithium solar probe, the people of the Veridian system were saved. Now, here on the cliff-face was left only a man, and a makeshift grave. As the man stood over the grave, sweat beaded on his forehead, his breathing steady, only a look of confusion on his face. Why him? Why had he been spared? This man he barely knew, gave his life to save his. He didn't deserve to be alive. He didn't deserve to be here now. As he thought this he fell to his knees, and slowly raised his head to the sky above and cried out “Why him!? Why not me?!”


Tinker writes: Neva, I loved this New Year's newsletter, I am definitely going to give the New Year's Eve and Day "work" myth a work out. Writing, reading, reviewing, cleaning, making contact with others. . .I'm already charting my days. Wow a busy schedules but rewarding in themselves. Here is hoping the myth comes true. Thanks for the inspiration. ~~Tink

dragonwoman writes: Thank you so much for including one of Christmas flashes in this newsletter. I gave myself the task of writing seasonal themed ones for most of the month of December. Must admit it got harder as I went along, but I did it! Nice to have one out there to read.


© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/925835-January-Fantasy-Newsletter-deadline-12217--859-PT