*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/927567-Fantasy-Newsletter-for-February-2018-deadline-21918
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#927567 added February 22, 2018 at 8:48pm
Restrictions: None
Fantasy Newsletter for February 2018 (deadline: 2/19/18)
1. Under Mars
2. Temple of the Golden Chameleon
3. All That Ever Shall Be
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.

Title

February the month of Februa
Second Title

February the month of groundhogs, love, and purification.
Hook

What do groundhogs, love, and purification have in common?
About this Newsletter

February the shortest month
is the month of love,
groundhogs,
and purification.

Letter from the Editor

February, like the other months of the Gregorian calender, is named after a Roman deity. Februa or Februarius is the god of purification. The festival of purification falls on February 15. This particular individual apparently lived in the underworld, and had something to do with purifying souls. February was not part of the original Roman calender, but was added, along with January, by Numa Pompilius around 700 B.C.

Groundhog Day, February 2, refers to the groundhog coming out of hibernation. According to this myth or folklore legend if the groundhog, in this case Punxsutawney Phil, there will be six more weeks of winter. Since I live in Las Vegas, and we have Mojave Max, I am not sure how well the groundhog is at predicting spring. Max, the desert tortoise, is much better since does not come out of his until the weather is above a specific temperature.

February 14, St Valentine's Day, is the day we celebrate love. This is the day in 278 A.D., St. Valentine was executed for marrying people. The Roman emperor, Claudius the Cruel, had banned marriage because he needed soldiers to fight in unpopular wars. St. Valentine married people in secret because he thought the law was unjust.

What folklore or myths does your nation or culture have about any of the months or the beginning of spring? Please share them with us.

Editor's Picks

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2147150 by Not Available.

Excerpt: The pair walked down the rocky, reddish slope towards the Rover, scanning with their tablets as they went. Both of the figures were slightly stooped by the weight of the samples in their packs that they had spent the afternoon collecting. Suddenly, the one on the right stopped.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1970793 by Not Available.

Excerpt: The Chameleon's Courthouse ye wayfarers chase,
But these clues you must notice or else miss the place.
What's green in the morning but gold in the dusk?
What's gold in the pot but green in the husk?
Follow the wings and the rain and the fire,
If finding the lizard is what you desire.

STATIC
All That Ever Shall Be  (ASR)
Creation myth: Optyx and Aqione.
#2147216 by Jaeyne of the Free Fab Five

Excerpt: Optyx had a problem, though he would not admit it. He was a supreme being without an answer.

 
STATIC
Broken Dreams  (18+)
"I never believed they existed, but this one is staring right at me."
#2147709 by Tiggy-Cheers for House Martell

Excerpt: When Ellis stepped close to the glass, he felt he could almost re-enact the famous scene from Titanic and pretend he was flying. The window stretched from wall to wall, floor to ceiling. In the highest apartment in the tallest tower block in the city, the view he had from his living room was unrivalled. He pressed his hands and forehead to the smooth glass and held his breath to stop it from fogging up and obscuring the view. For a moment he had the urge to breathe out and draw a silly face onto the window. Then he stepped away to exhale.

 The Troll Wife  (13+)
A man is captured by trolls who force him to marry their daughter.
#1715980 by Xylch

Excerpt: Will Mosley's parents died while he was still a young man. With a little hard work, the farm they left him could have made him quite prosperous, but work did not appeal to Will. He would much rather spend his time drinking at the tavern or hunting in the woods.



HWinB.C. writes: Hi, Neva. I really like the Newsletter and the idea you propose. I know from my Danish side of my family, mythology has defined their culture and they view it as history.
My mind is already thinking about a creation myth in a story!
Enjoyed the Newsletter. Thank you for sharing it.
HWinB.C.

Quick-Quill writes: This takes place just after the creation.

STATIC
In the Beginning  (13+)
a predator's point of view.
#1567274 by Quick-Quill


Elfin Dragon-finally published writes: I hope you'll like this one. I was challenged a bit ago to write a fable about why the stars twinkle at night. I found it challenging and inspiring.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2146937 by Not Available.



© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/927567-Fantasy-Newsletter-for-February-2018-deadline-21918