*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/929324-Fantasy-Newsletter-for-March-deadline-31918
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#929324 added March 21, 2018 at 1:48pm
Restrictions: None
Fantasy Newsletter for March (deadline: 3/19/18}
1. Begorrah Begone Gets a Pot of Gold
2. Proof of Life After Death
3. Change What They Believe
4. Twa From A Tree: I: In Yon Green Hill
5. The Teacher
6. New Year Reboot
7.
8.
9.

Title

Happy Vernal Equinox
Second Title

The first day of spring, a time to celebrate.
Hook

Do the characters in your fantasy and science fiction stories celebrate seasonal festivals?
About this newsletter

Spring begins in the Northern Hemisphere
on March 20 at 12:15 P.M. EDT or 16:15 UTC.
Meanwhile, in the SHuthern hemisphere
autumn begins.

Letter from the Editor

I am thankful that Earth is not a flat planet, because, if it were, I doubt that we would have seasons. One of my favorite seasons is spring, which is a pleasant and beautiful time of year. The birds are singing, the flowers are blooming, and new life and enthusiasm are sprouting all over the Northern Hemisphere. At the same time, in the Southern Hemisphere autumn has begun. Autumn is my second favorite season.

Spring is a time of rebirth, resurrection, rejuvenation, and celebration. Some of the spring celebrations that will occur across the Norther Hemisphere are Naw-Ruz, Passover, and Easter, all of which have spiritual connotations. This brings us to the question: How do the characters in your fantasy or science fiction novels celebrate seasonal festivals? This can be one way to move the plot forward, and include important background information about the characters and their motives for the readers.

I have begun to think of the vernal equinox as nature's new year, because of the births and plants bursting into bloom. In the Northern Hemisphere everything in nature appears to celebrate the season. Have any of my readers every used seasonal celebrations in their stories or novels? If you have, how did you include them in such a way that it appeared natural to the culture or location of the story? Let me know what you think of spring or any other seasonal celebration. There is a section at the bottom of this newsletter to submit your comments, stories or poems, or any suggestions about themes for upcoming issues.

Happy Spring,
Happy Autumn,
Happy Seasonal Celebration.



Editors Picks

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2152351 by Not Available.

Excerpt: “I’ll spend as much time as I need trying to do what all those other blatherskites do and I know I’ll do a sight better than most, if I do say so myself!”

Proof of Life After Death  (13+)
VERY HARSH satire. Delivered with the instruments of sci-fi & horror.
#750924 by Jack Goldman

Excerpt: The Researcher stood in a circular room, stark and white, lights so bright he wore protective lenses. His face revealed no expression as he injected serum into a nude inmate strapped to a bare, stainless steel table. A glass wall surrounded the room and on the other side stood a small crowd.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2150854 by Not Available.

Excerpt: "Did you really think it wouldn't happen to you pink-eyed Kachi?"

 Twa From A Tree: I: In Yon Green Hill  (13+)
My expansion on the Child Ballad Tam Lin
#2152272 by Ilmawritten

Excerpt: "What are ya? Who are ya? Wha--" Tam Lin cut off as his mouth was stuffed full of soil. He coughed, spluttering chunks of dirt from his jaws.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2151821 by Not Available.

Excerpt: “Greeting, Royal One. I am Sophia. I bring you the decision of the Council of Orion.”

 
STATIC
New Year Reboot  (13+)
Resolutions in the future.
#2144601 by Jatog the Green

Excerpt: The time has come again for New Year’s resolutions,
         and 2050 seems an Internet among the stars.
         So as I pen my hopes on twenty-weight white paper,
         there is the latitude in which my ship can safely veer.
         Here on the eve of change I sit with my intentions,
         feeling refreshing winds at century’s dividing point.

Feedback

Jaeyne of the Free Fab Five writes: Thanks for including my story! Here in Canada, we have a ton of folklore, due to the number of cultures that move across provinces. For example, some is specifically French-Canadian, some is Anglo-Canadian and we have numerous First Nations that have extensive oral traditions. Since we tend to have communities so closer to the border with the USA, a lot of the folklore/mythology is shared with neighbouring states.

I don't personally know any specifically tied to Spring, but hopefully someone else will be able to chime in and point one out.

werden writes: Very interesting. I knew, but forgot, about how the months were named after Roman gods. But I didn't know about Mojave Max. I suppose judging the emergence of Spring by that way would be more effective. But does Nevada get that much winter? Anyway, thanks for sharing

© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/929324-Fantasy-Newsletter-for-March-deadline-31918