*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/929357-Fiction-Friday-Icebergs-and-the-Flat-Earth-Society
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #1806613
The Saga of Prosperous Snow Continues
#929357 added February 23, 2018 at 3:46pm
Restrictions: None
Fiction Friday: Icebergs and the Flat Earth Society
Friday, February 23, 2018

The 50/50 prompt for "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS Fiction Friday
"As an iceberg melts, it makes a fizzing sound because of the compressed air bubbles popping in the ice." The fictional twist is your opportunity to amuse us with a tale involving an iceberg.

Icebergs and the Flat Earth Society

"As an iceberg melts, it makes a fizzing sound because of the compressed air bubbles popping in the ice." Ivan took a sip of his coffee before continuing his tale. "This is the sound that once echoed across earth. That was before the climate was destroyed by the greed of powerful cooperate executives who cared only for the bottom line." He sighed as he looked across the breakfast table at his wife and children.

"Ivan," said his wife, "I wish you'd stop filling the children's head with that iceberg nonsense."

"Cassie, are you saying icebergs never existed?"

"I know the history books say they did, but I've never seen an iceberg. So, for me they don't, and probably never did, exists. It's just another one of those myths that all the history books are full of."

"Daddy," said Marcus, "Can we hear more about the icebergs?"

"As I was saying, before you mother interrupted me, there were once icebergs in the north Atlantic, and in the southern most part of the Pacific Ocean. Not only were there icebergs, but there were huge landmasses separating the oceans. Once of those landmasses was the American continent."

"I know about that," said Sissy. "We learned that in school yesterday. It consisted of North America, South America, and Central America. It extended all the way from the Arctic circle to Tierra del Fuego. Tierra del Fuego means Land of Fire in Spanish."

"That's right," Ivan smiled. "Sissy, you had a test yesterday. How many did you get right?"

"I got one-hundred percent," Sissy smiled proudly. "I decided to stop telling the teach that Mama said she was teaching us fake news... history."

Cassie rolled her eyes, and pushed herself away from the table. "Marcus," she turned to her son. "I've got a meeting of the Flat Earth Society in an hour. Do you want to go with me?"

"I don't know, Mom. Who's the speaker?"

"Dr. Ichabod Crane of the Deep Water Polar Labs. He has proof that icebergs never existed."

"I'd love to go, but you don't like me asking questions. Is it alright if I ask questions at this meeting?"

"Of course, dear. How else will you learn if you don't ask questions?"

Smiling wickedly, Marcus go up from the table. Flat Earth Society meetings were always a lot of fun, especially when he ask the speakers a question that disproved their theories.

© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/929357-Fiction-Friday-Icebergs-and-the-Flat-Earth-Society