*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/932568-And-the-Oscar-Goes-too
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#932568 added April 11, 2018 at 11:38am
Restrictions: None
And the Oscar Goes too...
Blog Harbor Challenge - Day 11:
It's Oscar time! You get to put together your all-time best Oscar ballot! Movies don't necessarily have to have been nominated for an Oscar or even be an awards-type film (if you truly think the Best (Quality) Picture you've ever seen is Caddyshack, or that Ryan Reynolds' turn as Deadpool will never be surpassed by the performance of another actor, that's totally okay as long as you honestly believe your selection is the pinnacle of achievement in that particular field. Not your favorite, not your guilty pleasure, not the one you'd like to win... your honest-to-God pick for the best representation of each category. Think of this like Fantasy Football for movies!

BIG SIX CATEGORIES (REQUIRED)
Best Picture: Mr Holland's Opus
Best Director: Guillermo del Toro for Pan's Labyrinth
Best Actor in a Leading Role: Richard Dreyfus, for Mr. Holland's Opus
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Charlize Theron, for Monster
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Jared Leto, for Dallas Buyer's Club
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
: Alicia Vikander, for The Danish Girl

Wasn't sure if these had to all be current Oscar contenders or not so I just used my all-time favorite picks for each.

Mr. Holland's Opus is an amazing, uplifting movie with a stellar cast about a composer and music teacher who's only son is born deaf. It is a marvelous story about human spirit and is a wonderful tribute to the impact great teachers have on their students. My all time favorite movie and worthy of accolades abounding in my humble opinion. Richard Dreyfus's portrayal is heartfelt and engaging and was an easy first choice for my Best Actor pick.

I love Guillermo del Toro for all his quirky and visually compelling work. He is a fresh force in the industry and I like that he doesn't easily slip into the mold.

Best Actress was easy too. Charlize Theron is one of the most beautiful actresses to grace the big screen but her role in Monster of a female serial killer is such a departure for her that it sticks with me as one of her most standout roles. As convicted murder, Aileen Wuornos, she is physically repellent but incredibly compelling. Largely sympathetic, her performance is visceral and gut-wrenching and very memorable. I am certain she won the oscar for this role.

Another actual Oscar winner, Jared Leto, delivered a painfully compelling performance in Dallas Buyer's Club as a man dying from AIDS. He transformed his body and in one particular scene, looks to be nothing more than skin and bones. The whole cast was incredible in this film but Leto's was the standout for me.

Lastly, Alicia Vikander, as the loving wife of the artist Einar Wegener, is as moving as she is beautiful. She never wavers in her support of her husband as he becomes one of the first people to undergo sexual reassignment surgery. The camera loves her in all the scenes, whether she is joyous or grief-stricken. Her performance is so memorable for its credibility and the incredible range of emotions she reflects for her character.




© Copyright 2018 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/932568-And-the-Oscar-Goes-too