*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/934515-June-2018-Fantasy-Newsletter-deadline61118
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#934515 added June 13, 2018 at 2:25pm
Restrictions: None
June 2018 Fantasy Newsletter (deadline:6/11/18)
Research

https://www.hollywoodintoto.com/best-science-fiction-fantasy-fathers/
https://geekdad.com/2013/06/top-10-dads-in-fantasy-and-sci-fi/
http://legionofleia.com/2015/06/15-best-fathers-and-father-figures-in-fantasy-an...

Editors' Picks

1. Non Newtonian Quantum Fluid
2. Mail Order Garden
3. The Land of the Gods
4. La Caleuche
5. Legend of the Three Dragons
6.
7.
8.
9. Flight of Fancy

Heading #1

Happy Father's Day
Heading #2

Fathers in Science Fiction and Fantasy
Hook

Who are the good fathers in Fantasy and/or Science Fiction?
About this Newsletter

My father read to me,
he read the Sunday comics:
Alley Oop, Blondie, Little Orphan Annie,
Li'l Abner, etc.

Those comics were the closest my father came to reading fairy tales or science fiction to me. I remember that some of them had father or father figures in them. Little Orphan Annie had Daddy Warbucks,Blondie's husband was Dagwood, and Li'l Abner's father was Pa Yokum. There could have been other comics with fathers in them, which I don't remember. Were these men in the comics good fathers? Yes, for the era when they were created.

Letter from the Editor

Are there any good fathers in fantasy and/or science fiction? According to my research there are ten, and since I have no intention of defining a good father, I will go with them. I believe that, as individuals and authors, we need to define good or bad fathers for ourselves or our characters. This top ten list of good fathers, which can be found on GeekDad.com  , is dated 2013. If any of the readers have any father figures from fantasy or science fiction they think should be remembered, please send your comments about these fathers in the reader feedback section.

The list provided by Geek Dad, beginning with number one, are Gepppetto, Ben Sisko, Sam Vimes, Jonathan Kent, Arthur Weasley, Rau Kinsella, Bob Parr (Mr. Incredible), Bill Amada, Jor-El, and Kyle Reese. My favorite on that list are Geppetto, Ben Sisko, Jonathan Kent, and Jor-El. I like Geppetto and Jonathan Kent because neither of them expected to become a father. Jonathan Kent adopted Kal-El (Clark Kent), while Geppetto became a father when Pinocchio, unexpectedly, came to life.

I like Jonathan Sisko because, as a single father, he did a good job of raising Jake. He attempted to balance his duties at Deep Space 9, with his job as a father to Jake. I like Jor-El because he made sure, despite the fact that he knew he was doomed, that his son survived. Who do you like on this list? Who would you like to add to this list? Do you have any stories with either good or bad fathers in them?

Editors Picks

 Non Newtonian Quantum Fluid  (E)
Old weird ideas combined with new ones.
#2140494 by Jeffhans

Excerpt: It started out with the idea of making the charges more efficient.

 Mail Order Garden  (E)
What happens when a cursed wizard tries his hand at gardening? 52 Wks
#2068194 by tj ~ endeavors to persevere!

Excerpt: While the wizard slept, the magical ink from the quill of a Phoenix began working its own magic upon the pages of the open book. What happens when you mix various kinds of magic? What if Marty does not wake in time to stop the course of events he started? If Marty uses his own magic to stop the mysterious actions, will it work? Or, will the demon's curse strike yet again and make matters far worse?

 The Land of the Gods   (E)
The very beginning of a book idea. Let me know what you think (prologue)
#2158244 by M. Gene McCoy

Excerpt: Running through a forest is never easy, especially when pursued. You constantly worry about making sure your feet hit solid ground, dodging limbs, vines, trees and roots and this is only made harder when you're afraid someone's behind you....

STATIC
La Caleuche   (18+)
The "Caleuche" is a mythical ghost ship of the Chilote mythology. (Form: End Rhyme)
#1827379 by 🌕 HuntersMoon

Excerpt: The sound of waves caress a shore
         then ... footsteps softly on the floor.
         She thrills as hands touch heated breast.
         Tonight, once more, she'll get no rest.

 Legend of the Three Dragons  (E)
The creation story of the three legendary dragons
#2160317 by Amelia Winter

Excerpt: There is a legend, that all the children of Trivern know, about how the land came to be. Many millennia ago, when the world was still in its formative phases, everything looked very different....

Groups

 Flight of Fancy  (18+)
A group for fantasy lovers!
#1018024 by DragonWrites~The Fire Faerie~




Quick-Quill writes: My mother not only read to us but we saw her and my father reading and the joy it gave them. All my sister's and I love reading.

© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/934515-June-2018-Fantasy-Newsletter-deadline61118