*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/937246-Dont-get-Lost
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#937246 added July 2, 2018 at 12:04pm
Restrictions: None
Don't get Lost
Did anyone ever get lost when hiking or walking in a park?


Red Dragon


I'm in a "Goodreads" book challenge with "The Monthly Reading Challenge." One of the books I'm reading this month is "The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs" by Tristan Gooley. It's an amazing collection of ideas, about how to find your way home from anywhere in the world, without a compass, phone, or GPS.

The thing is, his suggestions really work. I've been noticing things about nature all my life but did not know you could apply them to finding North, South, East, or West. Such as the fact that algae and fungi grow on the North side of trees. Wind currents come from certain directions in local landscapes. The stars, sun, and moon can all be used to point you on your way if you are lost.

In this world of technology I think every person should sit down and learn a lot about these natural phenomena. Even inside a city with pavements and rows of shops there are ways to find direction if you cannot find a friendly person to ask. Why some sidewalks are wet after a rain storm and others are not is a good example?

I used to wander the woods around our families farm when I was a teenager. I don't think I was ever lost. There was a little stream that meandered around with curves. My cousin and I named it horseshoe creek although it was not big enough to be a real creek. It also always showed me where I was at least most of the time. Now, I carry a compass in my purse (e:laugh) but I never go anywhere to need it.

I read lots of mystery novels where some of these ideas could be incorporated within the crime. I think I should have read this book when I was 12. How many of the ladies out there thought their girls should learn direction finding abilities?

I cleaned the barn then took the dogs for a walk outside today. The barn came first then the dog walk but I finished by 10 am.
The heat is atrocious and laid the dogs out panting when we came in. It is really a day for reading in a cool room. Keep Cool.

Merit Badge in Cheerleading
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations on finishing your  [Link To Item #monthlyreading]  goals for June 2018 *^*Bookopen*^*!

~Minja



© Copyright 2018 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/937246-Dont-get-Lost