*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938100-September-Fantasy-Newsletter-deapdline-Septmber-3-2018
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#938100 added September 5, 2018 at 9:00pm
Restrictions: None
September Fantasy Newsletter (deapdline Septmber 3, 2018)
Editors Picks

1. A Child's Metamorphosis
2. For Whom the Trolls Bell
3. Monkey Business V2
4. The End of Time
5. The Rebel Outlaw Redshank Lirette
6.
7.
8.
9.

Heading 1

The Power of Names

Heading 2

Do names have power?

Hook

Does your character have a secret name?

About this Newsletter

"Naming a force, creature, person,or thing has several connotations."
Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Women Who Run With Wolves: Myths and Storey of the Wild Woman Archetype
Page 118
Letter From The Editor

What is in a name? Does a nave have power? What kind of power does a name have? The answer to these questions depend on a culture and the myths of that culture. In some cultures names are so important that they are given thought. There can even be naming ceremonies to commemorate the occasion.

What is the difference between an individual's given name and secret name? A person's secret name is one that reveals the individual personality, and which the individual has to grow into. The person's secret name is given to only intimate and trusted friend, if it is given to anyone else. The secret name give those knowing it power over the individual the name belongs to.

Knowing the name of an animal or any entity allows an individual to access the attributes of that entity. It also gives control over the entity or creature. Knowing the secret name give more power to the individual who knows the name.

How do you the pick names for your characters? Do you use the first one that pops into your head? Do you use the names of people you know? Do you research the names, and give you characters names that suggest a part of their personality? All names have meanings, and by searching the internet you can find sites that give the background and meaning of the name. A fun way to begin is to search for the meanings of your own names.

Editors Picks

 A Child's Metamorphosis  (E)
A child with an obsession gets far worse than she ever deserved. Taken from my DA work.
#2122568 by einstein

Excerpt: My little sister, Heather, is completely obsessed with butterflies. It's an interesting little quirk that happens to be adorable when combined with an 8-year-old. Like the little entomologist she'd like to be, she wants to know what it would be like to actually become a butterfly. She recently managed to convince our mother to allow it. We happen to have a near-mad scientist for a father, and he left a body morphing machine behind when he and Mom got divorced. Heather decided she wanted to start from the beginning, going from caterpillar to butterfly so she could write about her experience later.

STATIC
For Whom The Trolls Bell  (E)
... with apologies to Mr. Hemingway. A Daily Flash Fiction Winner
#1943105 by 🌕 HuntersMoon

Excerpt: Oorgmph awoke, stretching his large frame into the darkness. The damp rocky walls of his lair glistened in the faint light giving him a comforting sense of home.

 
STATIC
Monkey Business V2  (18+)
Speculative Fiction. Edited from a previous version to 3rd Person POV, added details.
#2144697 by LJ hiding under the bed

Excerpt: Jake Voss gazed around the dump that doubled as a bedroom and an office on this godforsaken planet on the outer edge of the galaxy. He asked himself for the hundredth time what the hell he was doing here. The “Killer Monkey” was a ridiculous moniker the news agencies had given the monster responsible for a hundred murders.

STATIC
The End of Time  (13+)
A man, just after dying, wakes up where he slept last night, 100 years later.
#2146768 by TINMAN 4000

Excerpt: I fell to the dusty, wooden floor, gasping and coughing. I rolled over and looked up to the ceiling, I was in the old church I slept in the night before, strange. Could I have been dreaming? I forced myself to my feet and looked around the room, the windows showed that it was still night, but the church appeared worn and old, unlike the night before. The pews were rough and some broken, the floor was scattered with dirt and leaves and some windows were broken. I grabbed my bag that I slept on and noticed something else, it was quiet, dead silent.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2146202 by Not Available.

Excerpt: The guerillas said the floating blue orbs came down from gunships hovering out of sight above low clouds. The Quarter rats didn’t believe a word of that. They whispered that those orbs were the spirits of Voodoo kings and queens gone by, returned to put the dying city out of its long misery.

Submission from our Readers

 A Princess is Always Right   (ASR)
The opening excerpt to the novel. Sophia lands in 1855.
#2017808 by StephBee - House Targaryen

Excerpt: Sophia Windsor landed flat on her rump in a garden full of petunias. She glanced toward the sky. Inky shadows replaced dark grey shadows. A cool breeze bushed against the nape of her neck. Stars twinkled in the sky. She took a moment to gather her bearings and shake off her nausea from her time traveling.




StephBee - House Targaryen wrote: Highlighting a time travel of mine. Great Newsletter that inspires the information.
 A Princess is Always Right   (ASR)
The opening excerpt to the novel. Sophia lands in 1855.
#2017808 by StephBee - House Targaryen



© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938100-September-Fantasy-Newsletter-deapdline-Septmber-3-2018