*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938772
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #2161115
Highborn but magically inept, Celeste must navigate a world that values magic first.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#938772 added July 29, 2018 at 3:57pm
Restrictions: None
Visitations
Celeste knew the thirteen isles of Aberra better than she knew herself. Her stoicism wavered when the moonlight cast fanciful illusions on Razul Island and the untouched tropical landscape of Talos Isand incited her adventurer's spirit. Yet the journey to Void Island left her unsettled as it did every month. How could she when the winds and waves stilled, yet the sailboat still approached the shore. It felt like invisible stones plopped down inside her, an uneasy weight blurring her clarity. Celeste took a deep breath and straightened her short, black curls that seemed to want to plaster themselves against her caramel skin.

"We're almost ashore Miss Jin," spoke the rowman with a low, lazy burr. He narrowed his strokes as the harbor came into view.

She shook he head and heaved a silent sigh. "Please, call me Celeste." The way the magically inept revered her just didn't fit. It was like she was wearing a pair of too-small high heels that she hadn't managed to take off or make fit just yet. She had no right, not when she was the daughter of Aberra's High Sorceress and heir to a rich magical lineage and yet she could hardly do any magic. She felt like a fraud, given something she could never live up to. The boat slowing to an easy stop jarred Celeste from her thoughts. While she was here, she couldn't allow herself to wallow in self-pity.

"Whatever you say Miss. I mean Celeste. I know this place is a tad dreadful but you're pretty lucky. Most people with relatives stuck here, don't have the luxury of being able to visit them so frequently. But your brother is lucky too. People who end up here get thrown away by their families for something thats not my fault. Pardon me if talk too much Celeste. Just say the word and I'll zip my mouth tighter than a fancy locking charm ever could."

Laughter burst out of her in that moment, several seconds passing before she recomposed herself. The portly, middle-aged man seemed to set her at ease on this journey. His chatter helped her to avoid getting stuck on more unpleasant thoughts. Her mother would caution against showing such an honest display of emotion in public but it couldn't be helped at times. "Thank you Mr. Thane. I couldn't have asked for better company if I'd chosen it myself."

A faint blush crossed his cheeks. "Well, my wife always says, if I'm good at one thing, its talking up a storm. But you should probably get going. Security on this island is strict and if you're late, they might not let you in. Will you be an hour like usual?"

Celeste nodded. "Yeah, they tend to think you're planning an escape if you stay any longer than that." Celeste climbed out of the boat, walking up onto the harbor, taking a deep breath. Two male guards were stationed outside a large metal gate.

"Name and person you're visiting please." said the left guard without looking right at her.

"Celeste Jin visiting Mason Stanhope."

The guard muttered something and pressed his hands in the air. His palms were covered by white gloves that had runic jewels embedded. His eyes shifted, looking at something Celeste couldn't see. "Appointment confirmed. Hand over your back for the standard search."

Celeste nodded, handing over her violet purse. She fought the urge to sigh in relief as his hands passed over the bag and nothing happened. Her father assured her than magic infused with technology couldn't be detected the same way as magic and magical items but that did little to quell her nerves. "Inspection passed. You may enter. Please head directly to room 313 and don't dally."
© Copyright 2018 Jeremknight (UN: wordwizard09 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeremknight has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938772