*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/939758-Writing-Now-Looks-More-Attractive-Than-Coding
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #930577
Blog started in Jan 2005: 1st entries for Write in Every Genre. Then the REAL ME begins
#939758 added August 15, 2018 at 12:52am
Restrictions: None
Writing Now Looks More Attractive Than Coding
I have hit the mid-way mark in an online course on Data Analysis, which covers mostly Excel, but also SQL. The frustrating tedium of all upper case for SQL keywords and then lowercase references to data, broken up by commas, (but not at the end of the line, and don't forget the semicolon on the final line of the query)...it's not horrible, I am just bad at accepting I don't know something perfectly while practicing something new. The good thing about this struggle is my desire to get writing, because it feels more freeing to my soul. That was not always the case, as I know that I once had a perfectionism problem that slowed my approach to writing for a very long time. I truly have learned to just "GO!" when I need to write something out, and I work at not allowing that inner critic and proofreader to stall or sabotage the progress of getting words down.

Due to being without an operating computer for a fairly long period, except while at work with a spare moment, I know my writing progress slowed considerably in the last year. Often it was a dead stop. Now I have a good laptop, which I may or may not have to return when the coursework is over. If I can continue to show a need for it, in tryng to improve my skill sets to stay employed. Wonder if working on my memoir might qualify?

Right now, even though it is a mental joy to be learning a new skill, I do not know that I could become the kind of wiz someone would hire in a new position. It is unclear to me at the moment if the new SQL knowledge will actually apply to any need my current employer has or will have, but that was my initial desire. Any way to continue with my benefits, and gain respect for advancing with the times, and not just stay stagnant -- with possible money for procuring a skill that is beyond word-processing, data entry, 10-key, the general Microsoft Suite...which I hear, most people don't even bother referencing on resumes anymore, because those are the expected skills of any computer user.

Shall I even consider whether this data querying skill will help me move outside of my current career at the newspaper, and apply at all to a communications, funding or education related role at a museum within four years? It's possible it could be useful in a government job, but fifteen years from now I would likely be in the same rut if I let myself go in that "safe" direction. Business development or grant writing side of the museum might be the easiest sell for my skills. I still don't know. I just feel like it is were I would be happiest. I wonder if for a couple of years I could find a way to work with Darrell Kunitomi as the new owner and he work on creating our in-house museum. What might I present to show my desire to expand my role outside of the Advertising Sales Support role? Could my project for the coursework somehow relate? That's something to ponder for a couple more weeks. What data set could I use? Seems like a bit of a force... but maybe a magician's force is the kind of presentation needed?

© Copyright 2018 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (UN: walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/939758-Writing-Now-Looks-More-Attractive-Than-Coding