*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/940185-Is-Work-Worship-Gratitude-List-and--Poem
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#940185 added August 22, 2018 at 9:01pm
Restrictions: None
Is Work Worship, Gratitude List, and Poem
‘Idál (Justice), 3 Asmá’ (Names) 175 B.E. - Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Is Work Worship?

"Yes: In the Baha’i Cause arts, sciences and all crafts are (counted as) worship. The man who makes a piece of notepaper to the best of his ability, conscientiously, concentrating all his forces on perfecting it, is giving praise to God. Briefly, all effort and exertion put forth by man from the fullness of his heart is worship, if it is prompted by the highest motives and the will to do service to humanity."
Abdu’l-Baha12

This is the answer that 'Abdu'l-Baha gave when someone ask him if prayer could or should take the form of action. In order for work to be consider worship the individual performing the work must concentrate their full attention on the joy. At times, during my work life, I felt that my full attention was focused on what I was doing, and I could consider it worship. Lately, the only time I have felt this way is when I am focused on writing a poem or a flash fiction story. This may be the one of the reasons I am having problems with rewriting my novels, I am not focusing on the job of rewriting.

Another time, I feel I am worshiping God is when I concentrate on reviews. I have cut down on the review because I can only concentrate on so many at a time. I usually know when my concentration starts to wan, and I stop review for a while. When this happens I go to something else that I can concentrate on or I stop to say a prayer, take a walk, or meditate.

Gratitude List for 3 Asmá’

Today I am thankful...
         *BulletV* ...that my Bank of America checking account is not overdrawn today.
         *BulletV* ...that I received a check from my sister today.
         *BulletV* ...that I have 825 points in my Survey Spot account.
         *BulletV* ...that I have 676 points in My Survey account.
         *BulletV* ...that I have 2,964,871 GPs in my Gift Points account.

Work is Worship3

Focus--
with all your mind, heart, and soul--
on the job at hand,
and do the best you can.

Footnotes
1  Paris Talks, pp. 176-177.
2  Quoted in the article "Our Daily Work: Spiritually Illumined, Whether We Know It or Not" by Greg Hodges http://bahaiteachings.org/daily-work-spiritually-illumined-whether-know-not
3  I posted this poem on Poet 999 - A Butterfly Emerges from Her Cocoon.


© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/940185-Is-Work-Worship-Gratitude-List-and--Poem