*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/941467-Thoughts-on-Literature---The-International-Day-of-Democracy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #1806613
The Saga of Prosperous Snow Continues
#941467 added September 15, 2018 at 10:58am
Restrictions: None
Thoughts on Literature & The International Day of Democracy
Jalál (Glory), 8 ‘Izzat (Might) 175 B.E. - Saturday, September 15, 2018

2018 is the 70th anniversary of Universal Declaration of Human Rights  .

The "Blogging Circle of Friends prompt for DAY 1733
Deborah Spark was discussing reading Chekhov in an article in Writer's Chronicle. She noted reading differences compared to our age. In the article, she said she hated Chekhov when she was young but loves him now. I did too! For that matter, in high school I hared Jane Austen and Edith Wharton. I love them both as an adult. What about you were there books you read as a younger person and hated but as an older person now love?

I don't hate any specific author or literary genre. There are some I don't read the popular romance novels and I don't care for stories with a lot of overt sexual descriptions. I prefer science fiction and fantasy; however, I will read spiritual genre novels. Lately my reading has been confined to books I have in the house, articles I can access online, and scriptures.

The "Blogging Circle of Friends for DAY 2127
September 15 is The International Day of Democracy  .

"One of the defining features of the democratic spirit is the belief that more is obtained through dialogue, consultation and mediation than through coercion and arbitrary practices: in short, the law must prevail over the use of force. The democratic ideal is inextricably linked to a commitment to the peaceful resolution of conflicts and an aspiration for peace. UNESCO bears this aspiration like a standard."
Audrey Azoulay, Director-General of UNESCO  

What do you think?

The 2018 theme for the International Day of Democracy is "2018 Theme: Democracy under Strain: Solutions for a Changing World"1. Democracy is under strain in America and everywhere across the planet. Ms Azoulay's statement points out the importance of mediation and consultation, which appears to be lacking in the fighting between the political parties here in the United States and across the world. Mediation and consultation is important because it allows both sides to voice their fears and goals, which is part of a well-functioning democracy. Another component of a good democracy is human rights, which is threatened by many people in power.


Footnotes
1  http://www.un.org/en/events/democracyday/


© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/941467-Thoughts-on-Literature---The-International-Day-of-Democracy