*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/942353
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2170754
My project for 2018....Arlynn's Way
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#942353 added October 1, 2018 at 3:12pm
Restrictions: None
October 1 - 'What If' Assignment
Nano Prep - Oct. 1 Assignment

Every good story starts with a 'what if'. What if a young boy discovers he's a wizard? What if a girl discovers a world hidden inside her wardrobe? What if there was a cemetery where pets came back to life if they were buried there? What if dinosaurs were real again?
In this exercise, imagine your story and your main character(s). Who is(are) the character(s)? Why do we care about them? What happens to them, and why is it a problem? (If it's not a problem, it's just life, not a story. *Wink*)
Spend at least 15 minutes imagining all the possibilities in your story. Make a list of every possible 'what if' you can think of. Nothing is off limits here - let your brain go.

My thoughts...
My story is a continuation of last year's story - only I am calling it Arlynn's Way instead of Arlynn's Story.
I need to build from where I left off and see if I can plot out some structure to keep me focused on the next steps without getting lost in all the ideas.... or forgetting them!

The 'What if' component is: what if a young woman, looking for a place to belong, is faced with the betrayal of a unfaithful boyfriend and a thieving good friend, decides that big city living is not her thing and heads back to her childhood summer home to see if life there can be any different.


Arlynn is facing a lot of big changes - a broken relation when she finds her supposed friend and her boyfriend together and to add to that they have conspired to steal her designs and pass them off as the friend's so that she gets a promotion. A promotion Arlynn was not able to get.... when she confronts her boss, she finds out he has been trying to get her to strike out on her own.... but he has not been very good at communicating that to her. Taking the time to have a long overdue conversation, Arlynn learns that her boss sees her as being too good for their company. He knows she will not ultimately be happy there and wants her to try freelancing to follow her passion. He even sends a long a few people that he thinks would be excellent at getting her freelancing off the ground.

Feeling beaten and bruised, Arlynn goes to the one place she has always felt at 'home' - her aunt and uncle's cottage in cottage country. There she reconnects to old friends and finds unexpected love.

She also finds her passion and a place to belong.

Later in the season, Arlynn's ex, Lance, comes up to the area to 'rescue her' from herself and take her back to the city. In the two months that she has been gone a lot of changes have occurred and Arlynn is not the woman he lost... she is a force to be reckoned with.

She is living at her aunt and uncle's cottage - one that is off the grid. She needs to find a way to live and manage her life in this place. She finds she loves the challenge and is able to freelance and live a life that is much more fulfilling.

Her love interest is a police officer who lives on the property next door. He has his own demons - a broken relationship that makes him a little wary of getting involved with a 'big city' girl. He's not sure if she is really going to stay. His last long term girlfriend dumped him for the city.

Will they find a way to make their relationship work?

Things I want to do to help:
I want to load Scrivener onto my Laptop and get back to planning out things on it. I did not create the rest of this story on there as I was having issues with my laptop's full C: drive.
I would still like to look into finding something that I can work on that will allow me to put scrivener on... I can't put anything on this Surface.
On Scrivener I can plan things out and get a better sense of where this story is going.


Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

** Image ID #1855238 Unavailable ** My owl signature from Gemini Gem. Winter trail scene
© Copyright 2018 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/942353