*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/943781
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2170754
My project for 2018....Arlynn's Way
#943781 added October 19, 2018 at 9:25pm
Restrictions: None
October 20 - Contest Round : Setting Description
The cottage was only about 10 or 15 minutes outside of town. The single lane highway out was winding and curved itself thought the rough landscape of northern Ontario's vast Canadian Shield. Great rocks protruded out of the hills that rose up like huge giants on either side of the road.

Above those hills and down into the valleys that dropped into marsh lands where the water shimmered crystal clean and clear, trees sprang up. Their gnarly trunks standing tall and forthright like soldiers after a long, brutal battle. Their headdress infused with luminous fall plumage; vibrant reds, oranges and yellows dancing wildly in the breeze. Pine and Spruce trees scattered themselves amidst the Birch and Maple. The scent of fall hung in the warming sun. It promised of colder days and chilled evenings soon to come. But for now, the summer held on with only the lingering autumn smell rising up with the morning mist. It wafted in on the breeze, perfuming the air deep in the forest and down in the boggy marshes.

I drove slowly, letting my mind remember the way. I knew ever turn, every dip in the road, every hill that sweep me up so that at one point I was high enough over the rocks to feast my eyes on the view so breathtaking I almost stopped the car. But I was eager to get to my aunt and uncle's cottage. To see the additions they had made, but also to remember the sweetness of coming home.

The road dipped again, then rounded the final curve before I slowed to look for the roadway cut into the forest around me. The forest seemed to rise up and hide a great many things. I saw the tiny sign that had been erected, but my eyes were scanning the edge of the road for the opening. I slowed, knowing I would have to leave the highway and gain traction on a rutted gravel road. It was a road maintained by those who lived here, which meant it was not always the smoothest of terrain. It had once been a logging road. I also did not want to spin out or fishtail into the ditch.

The trees opened up almost like a fairy fortress. The dappled light seemed to illuminate the way. I took the trail at a crawl. I did not want to miss anything, but I also wanted to take it easy on my poor, old Toyota Tercel. It had seen better days.

The first driveway I passed was about a mile in. Mr. Swenson's place. I slowed further to peer around the cobbled trees that lined his driveway. He had cleared out a graveled grassy area to park his truck and I could make out a huge log standing several vertical feet in the back of his pickup. It was tied down. No doubt another of his wood carving projects. Sawdust seemed to cling to the everything in his yard.

His tiny cottage stood sentry engulfed in a grove of trees, but further in I could see the area where he worked and created his huge wood carvings of eagles and bears. So intricate and beautiful. He was a talented man, but he also kept to himself much of the time. I saw no sign of him, so I continued on.

The next opening in the trees was least another mile. It lead to a drive that cut into the forest. I could just make out the shape of a cottage. One that had been abandoned for most of a decade before it had been bought up and renovated. I was curious to see the changes.... and the person who lived here. My aunt had said it was a 'local boy'.

I continued on, more slowly now, as the road had a few very deep gullies and dips. I maneuvered around the ruts, the bush scraping against the side of my car. A memory of Lance and his aberrance to scratches into the vehicle's paint almost made me laugh out loud. There was no avoiding such things here.

I was probably five miles in from the highway by the time I came to another parting of the trees. I rolled down my window not seeming to care about what bugs decided to venture into my car. The scent was heavenly. Thick forest, earthy and rich perfumed with autumn tones. I could also smell the aroma of wood smoke and as I turned into the small cleared area in front of my aunt and uncle's cottage, I could see the smoke wafting from the cottage's chimney.

I had barely put my car in park when I could hear the squeals of children and the deep bark of a big, brown Lab. My cousins and our dog. They all barreled my way. First Nicky, followed by Daisy Duke and then Sarah. I grinned at them as I got out of my car quickly knowing Nicky and Sarah would no doubt launch themselves at me. Daisy Duke bounded around, her joyful bark filling the air as Nicky and Sarah began to talk at once.

I laughed at their exuberance. It was so wonderful to see them. It had been a long time. I glanced up in time to see my aunt come around the side of the cottage, stepping off the deck and heading straight for me, her arms wide and welcoming.
My uncle was not far behind her. His great bear hug lifted me up off the graveled ground.

"You gotta come swimming with us." The kids chimed pulling my arms, but my aunt stopped them by saying, "Arlynn needs to move her things in."

We unloaded my car and each of the kids carried in something. My aunt walked in beside me after I handed her some things, then grabbed some stuff for myself.

I looked over at the cottage, now much bigger than it had been. The deck was new. It wrapped around the front of the cottage and over to the side. I followed my aunt up the few steps and around to the front. I marveled at the six colourful Muskoka chairs that lined the deck. One was even robin's egg blue; the same colour as my parent's kitchen. A colour I adored. Before going in to the cottage, I looked out at the lake. Calm today.

My eyes followed the path that lead off the front of the deck and ambled over the juts of rock that poked out all over the ground. The path itself was a well worn area of the grass and wild flowers packed down by years of foot traffic; my family's foot traffic. It wound its way through the outcroppings of rock all the way to the smooth fortress of rocks that lined the edge of the lake.

A good sized dock lead out into the water and about 100 feet out from that was a raft. Towards the left, the land rose up providing a high point with which to sunbath or dive into the cool, clear blue of the lake.

The lake. It was a crystal clear lake that was surrounded by massive rock faces across the expanse. I could hear loons off in the distance. The view was all inspiring. And I pulled in a lung full of air so fresh it made my eyes water in pleasure. Gone was the heavy smog of the city.

It was not until Sarah prodded me that I remembered I had some work to do.... and a bathing suit to find.



Notes


Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

** Image ID #1855238 Unavailable ** My owl signature from Gemini Gem. Winter trail scene
© Copyright 2018 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/943781