*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/943834
Rated: ASR · Book · Educational · #2170803
Here are my prep activities before NaNoWriMo begins for 2018.
#943834 added October 25, 2018 at 11:54pm
Restrictions: None
Breezy Glade
Breezy Glade is consistently booked to the capacity with people, who take their vacation or go on holiday every year, during the annual Rotation Adjustment. It's the one week out of the year, that has ten days in the week rather than the typical eight.

The Rotation Adjustment is a little hard to explain, but it's roughly like a man tightening the payload on his truck with a ratchet. Whereas the seven-day-a-week model of life on Earth remains more or less in a consistent rotational spin, the eight-day-a-week model of ZoNed4 causes rotational "rope" as it were to stretch out of shape throughout the year, until, finally, the once-a-year adjustment tightens the "rope" onto the next tooth of the ratchet.

As a rule, businesses, churches, government offices, and schools take the day off to observe and to experience this unique "hands-on" (or "hands-off," depending on your size) science lesson. The celebratory atmosphere is due to the way the Rotation Adjustment affects the gravity of the planet. For approximately 48 hours from the end of the eighth day to the end of the tenth day of that unique week, the gravity on ZoNed4 gradually decreases to roughly 10% of normal gravity. The lighter the object or individuals may be the more it or they start to float. Very little actual work could be accomplished on these two days, due to the gravity of the situation.

The good thing about the days on ZoNed4 is that they consistently start at midnight on the clock as do the days of Earth. When the Rotation Adjustment starts people may find themselves waking up on the floor instead of in their beds with the joyful fact that there are no bruises, nor awakings from sleep, that would normally happen when someone falls out of bed.

On the second day of the Rotation Adjustment people often wake up standing on their feet, (even the non-sleepwalkers do this,) though they still feel like they are sleeping horizontally in their beds.

Some folks don't go to bed, until after the Rotation Adjustment is complete on the third night. Going from 10% of gravity to 100% of gravity as the "ratchet-tooth" catches tends to be a bit unsettling. This is so unsettling that a tradition has developed in the past few years of either sitting in one's car with the seatbelt fastened or sitting in one's living room with newly-installed seatbelts keeping the residents firmly ensconced on their couches.

The last hour of the Rotation Adjustment on ZoNed4 is quite similar to the last hour of New Year's Eve on Earth. Whereas Earthlings stand up, raising their hands, and cheering as the Ball drops, ZoNedians secure their seating, toasting with their favorite variety of hot tea, until the very minute when they place their need-to-be-empty cups on the nearest pillow beside each of them, waiting for the rather large THUMP, THUD or BUMP when life can return to "normal" for the next 14 months.

Now, with this little science lesson in the History books, let us turn our attention to the pleasanter aspects of the description of Breezy Glade.

Why is this wonderful little town such a draw, during the annual Rotation Adjustment?

The Glade from which the town gets its name sports some of the greenest grasses in the Universe. Few individuals have ever seen the Glade for the first time without expressing a loud gasp, followed by the motion of hand-over-mouth, along with the nearly obligatory step backward. These grasses are iridescent hues, which seem to have been grown on Brillaris, the system's lone sun.

The view would be staggering enough, but the softness of the grasses exceeds the finest silk that Earth has to offer. It is not uncommon for those on vacation or holiday to spend the entire daylight hours sleeping, dozing, and eating slowly from their picnic baskets, which are never disturbed by insects or ranging animals, during these two days of the year. These animals all scatter when the adjustment starts like birds fleeing trees at the first tremors of an impending earthquake.

The absence of animal life creates an eerie peace that tends to be more calming than eerie now that the new residents have grown accustomed to this level of silence. It is the whisper of the breezes through the treetops in the canopy of the paper birch trees, which were thankfully already on the planet when the new residents arrived. The breezes that dance across the Glade are almost audible. Some have reported hearing what sounded like, "I love you!" & "You are welcome here." "Be at peace!" was heard once or twice to the great delight of way-weary travelers.

Many places on Earth boast of the intriguingly sweet aromas of the Honeysuckle Vines, Tea Olive Trees, and Don Juan Roses, but none of these compare to the overwhelming sweetness of the HibisciSharon Rose of ZoNed4. Imagine the sweetness of all of Earth's most profound blooms rolled into one. Now, magnify that sum by ten and you have the delectable perfume of the HS Rose of ZoNed4.

Finally, the waters of Floating Falls live up to its name the most during the annual Rotation Adjustment. Yet, seeing a floating waterfall, as amazing as that is, pales in comparison to the experience of lifting up one's glass to toast the brilliance, having the glass filled with glistening water, and drinking in the notes that are so enjoyable to the tongue, that they are to the point of being painfully delightful.

Though Breezy Glade is filled to capacity during the Rotation Adjustment, those who come, remain peaceful, calm, and cheerful, making the event feel like a well-organized family reunion in which the family members actually like each other.

Some say it's the screaming brilliance of the green hues of grass, that is the best part of the annual event.

Others declare that the softness of the grass is intoxicating.

Still, others find solace in the peaceful breezes that seem to hug them like a loving parent.

Returning visitors often try to capture the aromas of the HS Rose in bottles to smell throughout the year, often to little avail.

Those for whom taste is the supreme enjoyment, bring larger and larger glass containers to take the waters of Floating Falls home as a veritable Fountain of Youth.

Whatever the motivation, Breezy Glade is the destination of choice every year during the Rotation Adjustment. Maybe this is the reason why Breezy Glade is the only place on ZoNed4 that supports a Five-Star Hotel twice the size of the largest hotel on Earth.

Here is yet another signature, that has been provided for me by my good friends, WS & GG.
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
© Copyright 2018 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/943834