*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
19
20
21
23
24
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944047-Dealing
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(116)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Spiritual · #1149750
10k views, 2x BestPoetryCollection. A nothing from nowhere cast words to a world wide wind
#944047 added October 23, 2018 at 2:27pm
Restrictions: None
Dealing
From the Journal of Whatever the Hell Medicine I'm Dispensing:
(I made that up)

In response to the 'depressed' girl who got my DNA:


It takes a good support system to overcome bouts with depression. You can say and do all the right things dealing but no one is capable of doing it alone 24/7. Knowing you can depend on someone gives assurances. Being able to open up about what you feel and not be judged makes you stronger. Thinking you are the only one who struggles alone and shut the world out and you are right back to square one.

Life's ills have a way of sneaking up on you, outright hit you right out of left field. If you don't recognize signs, prepare, you carry an immeasurable weight that will make a comeback seem impossible, possibly hopeless. What you want to be able to do is be ready to face life head on. That might not always be easy.

If something is holding you back from calling out, it has you. You locked your mind up and swallowed the key. It feels like you should be able to do something, lack desire to get yourself out. Your strength is suppressed, your mind blocked from answers it seeks. Having someone who can recognize the signs, know what works best for you, can get you out.

We struggle with why we feel this way. Accept the disadvantage your DNA provides. If medication doesn't work, there is exercise. Going outside and getting sunlight is important. Fresh air and new vistas for the mind's eye are important. The more creative outlet, the more rewarding how energy is spent, and the better you'll begin to feel. There's more.

Eat right. Good food can help. Avoid sugar and carbs that will affect your desire for more. Snack less. Get help finding best foods, meal plans to help. Obviously, substance abuse affects depression. So does the wrong foods. Be careful what you put in your body. If you have setbacks with diet, acknowledge and start over again. There are no failures and plenty of do-overs.

Find an outlet to be the best version of you. What are your interests? Writing, art or something more functional like cooking, knitting, or maybe, reading. When you are being creative, exploring new worlds, you can build as a person. You can try a new activity, do it with friend or family. Experiencing what you like and sharing passions at home and in the community creates extra reward and incentive. You develop interests and grow as an individual.

With depression comes feeling overwhelmed. Doing something like a task and mentally checking it off can feel good. When you reward yourself with an hour of something you like to do, take a break to do a chore. It doesn't require a planner or reminders. When you are ready to reward yourself, think of something to do afterward as payment. You get two rewards in this way, maybe more. As you find yourself getting things done and enjoying yourself, those rewards earn interest. You may feel inspired to get a lot done. It's important to take breaks from things you enjoy. Be sure to get a breath of fresh air and a new perspective.

Now, there are times we get in a rut. Don't blame yourself if you got off track. The moment you recognize is the moment you have that wheel in your hands. Gently return to doing the things that reward and do not bother with that rear view mirror. You can even ask your co-pilots and navigators for help. They say it takes a village. Supporting one another keeps us all strong and happy.

It's important to remember we are human. Our feelings count. We can learn to rely on ourselves. We can have fun and enjoy life. If we can't deal with problems head on, ask for help. Understand, we all have obstacles in our life, just not all the same. We can come together to support one another.



BTW, this is in response to an essay her eighth grade teacher wants to see published, unable to know the true drama we have witnessed that comes from bad habits, not wanting to do chores/homework and hormones uniquely befitting a 13-year-old girl struggling with becoming a woman. Hang in there baby. You emote well, even on paper.

Maddie's article not provided, her copyright.

© Copyright 2018 He’s Brian K Compton 18 year (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton 18 year has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944047-Dealing