*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944113
Rated: ASR · Book · Educational · #2170803
Here are my prep activities before NaNoWriMo begins for 2018.
#944113 added October 25, 2018 at 12:36am
Restrictions: None
Literary Devices
Ultimately, the conflict in the life of Matthew Marks is internal. Matt has doubted his abilities from his earliest years. Whether this was due to his mom consistently straightening the bed covers when he couldn't do it perfectly or whether it was due to his dad, consistently questioning his motives when he attempted to do anything in life that had value, Matt came to believe that his thoughts, his motives, his choices in life were never good enough.

Is there any wonder why Matt would doubt the stability of all of his relationships in life, including the Relationship with The Lord, which was based on Saving Grace procured for him and all other believers through the acts of Jesus Death, Burial & Resurrection? Matt's parents were apparently critical of every aspect of Matt's life when he was a child. Is there any wonder why he would still feel underdeveloped emotionally as an adult?

What would be the best way to bring Matt to complete healing as a person?
What would be the best way to bring Matt to the point of strength as a human being, as an adult, and as a Christian?
What would be the best way to show that damage in childhood does not need to preclude success as an adult?
What would be the best way to demonstrate the fact that all successful human beings are in fact preachers, since the term "to preach" means "to express with great strength and confidence the deepest truth known to the heart"?

The first way to bring healing to a broken life is to establish a new mentor in place of the original mentors, who had so many flaws of their own. Matt's greatest friend and mentor is Paul Letras, who guides Matt to Truth, never shoving it down his throat, but giving him all the time he needs to own Truth in his own heart.

Secondly, the Foreshadowing of hope, confidence, knowledge that Jesus is his greatest Mentor, Friend, Savior, and Guide comes throughout the story in moments of clarity. Matt sees the Truth without doubt, owning it more and more by small increments. During these moments of clarity, Matt gains experience in how to use the tools of faith that are available to him.

A third help in moving the story along could be repetitive designation. Just like the smelter's pot for silver turns up the heat to remove the dross in the purification process, the Rotation Adjustment every year on ZoNed4 shows the characters, in general, and Matt, the protagonist, in specific, just how little control they have over their physical lives. This physical device becomes and emotional/spiritual device in the expression of faith in others, and especially faith in The One, Who Creates and Saves, is necessary for life to be lived successfully. Actually, interdependence and faith is necessary for survival.

A fourth wonderful inclusion could be Poetic Justice, which is signified and told throughout the story through the use of actual poems, which will be created for the unique scenes. Matt has been dogged throughout life by Lazarus Watyudid, Andy Attelpate and Runfro Allatsgood into believing that he would never be any good to anyone, especially God. Doubts about Salvation are the most painful impediments Matt has ever experienced in his life. How lovely it will be to see Laz, Andy & Runfro get their "come-uppance" at the end of this tale of the struggle between Good & Evil! How comforting it will be to see Matt finally rest in a big bear hug, rendered by his saving Lord, Jesus!

A fifth tool could be The Reveal in which The Lord is finally seen as orchestrating both doubts and the ultimate Pure Silver Faith in the life of His servant, who can now preach The Truth that has been fully lived out through the believer's life.

A sixth tool for consideration is The Cliffhanger. This is a device that I often love to use to draw the reader into the next chapter. Who can put the book down when I make you want to see what happens next?

Finally, Breaking the Fourth Wall is a very real possibility, since Matt is a preacher, after all, and every good preacher makes the Truth, being preached, to be applicable to the congregational listener (and in this case, the reader.)

What is the Solution to the story?

Truth remains absolute, (John 14:6) which makes everyone, who rests in faith in The Truth, eternally secure.

Here is yet another signature, that has been provided for me by my good friends, WS & GG.
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
© Copyright 2018 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944113