*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944232
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2170754
My project for 2018....Arlynn's Way
#944232 added October 28, 2018 at 1:03pm
Restrictions: None
October 24 - Plot: Literary Devices
Oct. 24: - Plot: Literary Devices â–¼
(1) Brainstorm possible solutions to your conflict and complications using the list of literary devices below or your own ideas.

(2) Identify a mentor or helper who aids the protagonist(s) in achieving their goals. This would be Mr. Reid - who at the beginning of the story seems to be an antagonist, but once he learns Arlynn is leaving he is happy for her and more than willing to send her 'clients' he feels would benefit from her talents

(3) Identify any other literary devices from the list you could use to enhance your writing.


Literary Devices List:
--Foreshadowing: Hints of something to come.
--Chekhov's Gun: The gun on the wall in Scene 1 is eventually fired.
--Repetitive Designation: An object or fact appears over and over.
--Symbolism: Small facts, objects, or characterizations represent something bigger.
--Self-fulfilling prophecy: Protagonist attempts to thwart prophecy but in attempting, fulfills it.
--Poetic Justice: Good guys are rewarded and bad guys are punished.
--Plot Twist: Surprises the reader with something unexpected.
--False Protagonist: The protagonist dies or turns out to be something other than the protagonist.
--Red Herring: A false trail diverts the reader's attention from what really happened.
--Unreliable Narrator: The narrator has been misleading the reader all along.
--Irony: The exact opposite of what the reader expects happens.
--Reveal: A hidden connection between characters or facts is revealed in time.
--Plot Device: Advances the plot forward, often pushing the main character past a hurdle.
--Object of Power: Either the protagonist wants it, or the object drives the plot of its own accord.
--MacGuffin: Something the protagonist wants for unknown and unimportant reasons.
--Quibble: Following the letter of the law, contract, or agreement instead of its intent, changing the outcome.
--Narrative Hook: Story opening that grab's the reader's attention.
--Cliffhanger: Ending a scene, chapter or story in the middle of action, hooking the reader.
--Ticking Clock Scenario: The threat of impending doom if the protagonist's objective is not met.
--Breaking the Fourth Wall: A character speaks directly to the reader.
--Or anything from this list: http://literary-devices.com/

Theme
Definition:
The theme of any literary work is the base that acts as a foundation for the entire literary piece. The theme links all aspects of the literary work with one another and is basically the main subject. The theme can be an enduring pattern or motif throughout the literary work, occurring in a complex, long winding manner or it can be short and succinct and provide a certain insight into the story.
Example:
The main theme in the play Romeo and Juliet was love with smaller themes of sacrifice, tragedy, struggle, hardship, devotion and so on.

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

** Image ID #1855238 Unavailable ** My owl signature from Gemini Gem. Winter trail scene
© Copyright 2018 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944232