*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944310-This-amusement-never-ends
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2107938
A new year, a new blog, same mess of a writer.
#944310 added October 28, 2018 at 6:15pm
Restrictions: None
This amusement never ends.
Date: 10.27.18 -- Day 106 ("30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS -- Day 27)
Music: "Sledgehammer" / Peter Gabriel


*BurstBL* Prompt -- Kelly Osbourne was born in 1984 today. Write a pitch for your own talk show - what would you talk about? Whom would you invite to interview? *BurstBL*

I find this prompt intriguing because I've never really thought about it. Talk shows are not something I seek, but I watch them on occasion when a friend or co-worker links me to a clip. Thinking on it, most of them tend to be political with a foundation in humor. While those are the shows I gravitate to, I probably wouldn't do politics as a whole because after a while that feels like it would be draining. Humor, however, I would definitely use. Everyone needs a laugh. It's essential. For a moment, after a good laugh, the world seems lighter. So whatever my show would be, there would definitely need to be laughs.

Other talk shows that interest me usually revolve around food or drink. One of things I like about the Graham Norton Show has more to do with the laid back nature of it - with drinks and couches. After a while, the guests almost forget they are on a talk show. Before the controversy that ended The Chew (rightfully so), I really liked the format of chefs and food and cooking. I'd want my guests to feel as comfortable as possible, sharing things about life that are funny and carefree. My hope would be that people feel like they're meeting with friends and shooting the breeze. Let the conversation and topic come from the mood.

IMO, some of the best talk shows are with people you don't necessarily know you want to meet. As a writer, I wish there were more interviews with writers. Up and coming novel writers and poets; or writers from television shows who don't usually get their names mentioned. Another big one for me are folks who work behind the scenes on film. It's one the reasons why I like the special features on DVDs. If it is decent, you get meet the people behind costume design and principal photography and composers and day-to-day management. What would happen if the writer of a novel got to have dinner with the screenwriter who does the film adaptation? What would unfold if film composers got together to talk about what the limitations of composing for a big budget film are? What could we learn from actors who have each played the same character, comparing notes? Or getting to know character actors more in-depth, especially when we can recall their faces, have that nice familiar feeling when we see them on screen, but often cannot recollect their names.

Food, easy conversation, and laughs. I have no idea what to name it, but there it is.



© Copyright 2018 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944310-This-amusement-never-ends