*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/945503-January-2019-Fantasy-Newsletter-deadline-12118
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#945503 added January 23, 2019 at 8:55pm
Restrictions: None
January 2019 Fantasy Newsletter (deadline 1/21/18)
Editors' Picks

1. The Carnage
2. Twilight Skies
3. An Old German Myth
4. A Cry from the Void
5. The Rift Walker Anthology
6. Shadow Kingdom
7.
8.
9.

Heading 1

Portals

Heading 2

The New Year is a portal to a new chapter in our lives.

Hook

You never know what is on the other side of a closed door.

About This Newsletter

A New Year is a portal
leading from the past
into the future.

A door
closing on today
and opening onto tomorrow.

A gate is a door,
a portal,
that lets you see
a short distance into
either the future or or the past,
depending on
which way you look
after you pass through it.

Letter From the Editor

Portals, doors, gates, and New Years lead to new adventures, novels, chapters, characters, and, sometimes, a new life. Some doors are opened easily because they have no locks or locks that are not secure. Other doors are difficulty to open because they have good locks. There are, also, doors with alarms that sound when you open them or attempt to open them. Some doors or gates are interdimensional portals leading to another dimension, universe, galaxy, planet, into the past, or into the future.

Gates are portals that lets you see a part of the path ahead, if it is not hidden by fog, trees or other vegetation. Other doors, even those with peepholes, obscure your view until you open them. Peepholes are wonderful inventions that, most of the time, lets you see who is on the other side, but little else. There are other ways to determine who or what is knocking at your door. There are windows beside the door, or doorbells with cameras; however, even these have their limitations.

The marvelous thing about doors, in both the real world and novels, is that they limit the view of either you or your character. In some cases, magic or extra sensory powers might give the character a hint of what is on the other, still there are limits to both magic and extra sensory powers. This means that the characters can be surprised by what they encountered when they open the door or walk through the portal.

A door can give the character access to a dungeon, a room for the night, a pub, or another dimension. It can be locked, unlocked, or guarded. Opening a door can let you carry the plot forward, reveals important background information, or reveal something about your character. How do you use door in your stories or novels? Do you have a story that features a door as an important plot device? At the bottom of this newsletter you will find a place to submit your comments or an item you want highlighted. Please don't be shy. I enjoy reading your comments and your stories.

Editors Picks

 The Carnage  (18+)
The work of our hands that brings chaos into the human race
#2177924 by Fellicia Moh

Excerpt: ‘With emerging Artificial Intelligence technology comes great responsibility.’ We knew we were creating something that has never been done before and only existed in theory and researched hypothesis, but we took it lightly.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2178634 by Not Available.

Excerpt: “Twinkle, twinkle little star,
         How I wonder what you ….”

 An Old German Myth  (E)
He learns to believe.
#2176679 by Paul

Excerpt: “What are you doing in my house? I called 911. Who are you? And what’s that ridiculous outfit you have on?”

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2174720 by Not Available.

Excerpt: Captain Maggie O'Leary raised a transparent hand-held gadget, a hand terminal, developed because sound dies quickly in the cold, thin air of Mars. Still marveling at this latest leap in communication devices, she spoke into it. "Hank, you there?"

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2178284 by Not Available.

"Invalid Entry

Excerpt: I have struggled for a long time on how best to describe my journeys as the Rift Walker. For over two hundred years I have traveled between worlds witnessing horrors that even our mastery over science could never explain. I have seen empires built and civilizations crumble into nothing. I have seen mankind fall into the dust only to rise like a phoenix and then be dowsed again by uncertain fate. I have seen the playground of God’s and witnessed an unbending cycle that, like a circle, has no beginning and no end. I have seen worlds of mist and fire and walked within creatures so large they were planets themselves. I have seen and fought the dead, bargained with machines, and stolen artifacts so powerful that space and time itself were no obstacle. Yes, I have seen and done much but there was a time when I was an ordinary man. A time when technology was in its infancy, though we would scarce admit it. The truth is the rift phenomena would begin not with me but with my good friend Dr. Amil Orwen.

 
STATIC
Shadow Kingdom Chapters 1-9  (E)
A yoing woman inherits a strange abilty making her feared and sought after by everyone
#2179273 by Dragonbane

Excerpt: Calyistria slowly opened her eyes sunlight shone through the sash window. She stretched pulling back the covers; got out of bed and went to wash bowl. Today felt no different from any other day except for being a year older now twenty-one. Today her mother said before she died would be special. Her mother died when Calyistria was still young her father a few years since. Calyistria missed her mother most although she loved both her parents. She did not believe, however, what her mother told her when six years old. Something unusual would happen to her on this day something that would make her sought after by those in power but also feared by many. She shook her head. “Such nonsense.” She washed and dressed before a knock on the bedchamber door.


Groups, Contests, and Activities

Fantasy and Science Fiction Society  (E)
For Fantasy and Science Fiction authors. Open to all applications. come in and learn
#2014050 by David the Dark one!

 
SURVEY
Dear Me: Official WDC Contest  (E)
What are *your* goals for the new year? Think it over, write a letter and win big prizes!
#597313 by Writing.Com Support

 The Hub  (E)
Chat with fellow members and catch up on all the FSFS News!
#2016377 by David the Dark one!



Feedback {nl:}





© Copyright 2019 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/945503-January-2019-Fantasy-Newsletter-deadline-12118