*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/946781
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2175490
Flash fiction stories...
#946781 added December 3, 2018 at 4:42pm
Restrictions: None
The Fish Pond
The father and son chose two fishing poles and headed to the pond. Hundreds of people milled about the farm, to enjoy the petting zoo, fish pond, and pony rides.

The father put worms on both hooks and the two cast their lines in the water. The father didn’t expect to catch anything, but it was nice being out with his family.

“Dad, I think I got one!” The boy squealed as he pulled hard on his pole. The dad helped him reel in the large fish.

“Whoa, Buddy, this is huge!” The dad exclaimed, proud of his boy for such an impressive catch.

The rainbow trout flopped around in the grass, as the father struggled to pull the hook out. What would they do with such a fish?

“Dad, we won’t take it home, will we? None of us like fish.” It was true.

Nearby, another father and son sat in the grass with their poles, lines dangled in the water. “Dad, we’ve been here for an hour. I’m bored.”

The first father and son knew what to do. They had to hurry because their fish would die soon if they didn’t get it back in the water. With the hook intact, the father urged the fish back in the water. It was sluggish, but still alive.

He reached his pole out to the youngster. “Here, why don’t you take my pole. We’re done with it, and it’s been lucky for us.”

The boy gladly accepted the pole and almost immediately felt the tug of a fish.

“Wow, Mister, it really is lucky!” The boy shouted as his father helped him pull in the large fish. The two men shared a meaningful look.

“Thank you,” the second man mouthed silently as he presented his son with his first catch.


© Copyright 2018 IceSkatingSugarCube (UN: jwhitedesigns at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
IceSkatingSugarCube has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/946781