*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/947331-Aromas-of-Childhood--and-My-Sensitivities
Rated: 18+ · Book · Spiritual · #2170111
This blog contains responses to blog prompts, & thoughts on spiritual or religious themes
#947331 added December 12, 2018 at 1:58pm
Restrictions: None
Aromas of Childhood and My Sensitivities
‘Idal (Justice), 1 Masa’il (Questions) 175 B.E. - Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Feast of Questions

On the Feast Day of Questions
I contemplate the beauty
Of mid December

The "Blogging Circle of Friends prompt for DAY 2215
My favorite holiday scents are cedar, ginger, molasses, and cinnamon. What are yours? Do they bring back childhood memories, if so what are they?

Aromas of Childhood

Bayberry candles
Their tapered beauty burned bright
Every Christmas Eve

The perfume of bayberry candles create part of my childhood memories. I know that my grandmother and, at least, one of her sisters and/or sisters-in-law burned bayberry candles on Christmas Eve. As a child, I thought that was the only time of year you could purchase those wonderful scented candles. After I grew up, I found that they can be purchased all year long. After I discovered one could buy them all year long, I began to wonder why Grandma lit them only on Christmas Eve and sometimes on New Year's Eve.

I discovered one, possible, reason on Real Bayberry Candle and Bayberry Legend  . Apparently lighting a bayberry candle on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve is supposed to bring good luck. Since, I know that Grandma was superstitious, she lit the candle to bring good luck and to make the house smell nice for visitors who might come calling on those day. At that time, it was common for friends and family to drop in unannounced on certain holidays. I guess, because I never asked her, she wanted her already clean smelling house to smell better and more festive on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.

The "Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise prompt for Day 1822
What things are you sensitive about?

My Sensitivities

My sensitivities have changed as I have matured. I'm not as easily offended by other people's lack of respect or consideration. Most of my present, and every changing, sensitivities are my own business, simply because I've found it does very little good to let other people know. Most people wouldn't understand without me going into details that most people would prefer not to know because of their own sensitivities.

My main sensitivity, at present, concerns the way people treat each other. I am offended, when lack of respect is shown to others because they are of a different religion, nationality, color, opinion, etc. We are all human beings and deserve to be treated with kindness and respect. There is only one God, who created all human beings and revealed all religions. We are one species, the Creator is known by many names, and the foundation of all religions is one.


© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/947331-Aromas-of-Childhood--and-My-Sensitivities