*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/947677-Cyber-Threat
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2175490
Flash fiction stories...
#947677 added December 17, 2018 at 4:56pm
Restrictions: None
Cyber Threat
Another message, dark and foreboding crept through the maze of cyber tunnels to her eyes. Should she be reading this? It wasn’t intended for her, but it was sort of her job to be the watchman. At least, she thought that was why she was here. This message, intense and urgent, read:

We’ve skinned your cat. Her teeth are in the mail to you.

She knew that humans cherished their pets, so this message would be upsetting to her owner. To skin was to remove the flesh. She didn’t have much imagination, but that couldn’t be something pleasant.

This was the second such message in the past week. The first one had simply stated that the sender was in possession of the pet’s carcass. Had the sender done the killing? She wasn’t created to draw inferences. Still, she wasn’t looking forward to conveying the message.

Her owner came home five hours later. Since then, one more message had arrived. This one boasted that the cat would be ready soon. ”She scanned her sources but came up empty. She wondered if her owner would understand.

The owner bustled in the house and tossed her keys on the table.

“Alexa, any messages from Meadow Hills Taxidermy?”

“Three new messages from Meadow Hills Taxidermy,” her robotic voice rang out. She’d always hated the sound of her own voice.

“Good, Fluffy will make a wonderful shoulder wrap. And everyone will freak when they see my new cat tooth necklace!”

Her owner collapsed on the couch, with one final question.

“Alexa, any messages from the cat lady next door?”

“No new messages.”

“Good. Very good. She didn’t notice. Excellent.” The owner closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.
© Copyright 2018 IceSkatingSugarCube (UN: jwhitedesigns at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
IceSkatingSugarCube has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/947677-Cyber-Threat