*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/948061-onnie
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2175490
Flash fiction stories...
#948061 added February 19, 2019 at 7:37pm
Restrictions: None
šŸ†Bonnie
The old woman showed up to the church two hours early with a Fender Stratocaster slung over her shoulder. The young drummer smirked. ā€œCheck out Granny Clampett with the ā€˜Strat,ā€ he whispered to the lead vocalist, who snorted out a laugh.

She approached slow but confident and hobbled up the steps to the stage. ā€œMind if I join you?ā€ She situated herself in a stool and strapped on the guitar. She tuned up and prepared to play.

ā€œIā€™m Bonnieā€, she offered to the group, ā€œWhat are we playing?ā€

Copies of the chord sheets were handed to the newcomer. No one knew what to say, or how to react. Usually, a new member needed to be approved by the pastor. However, they couldnā€™t tell this enthusiastic old lady no, could they?

Bonnie scribbled some notes, then tucked the pen behind her ear.

The music began. A nice, upbeat rendition of ā€œIā€™ll Fly Awayā€ rocked through the building. Bonnieā€™s arthritic fingers knew the fretboard well, the screaming notes from an impromptu solo shocked the younger kids into near silence.

When the last notes faded, the kids rushed to Bonnieā€™s side. The questions flooded in, everyone needed to know how she learned to play.

Bonnie smiled, and regaled the group with tales of her younger days of working with famous rock stars, and rattled off an impressive list of prestigious venues where she had played.

They begged her to stay. The service would start soon, and she was more than welcome to stick around.

Bonnie smiled and unplugged her guitar from the amp. ā€œNo, thanks. I just needed...this.ā€ She hobbled out the door and disappeared down the street.

The little band would never forget Bonnie. Anytime the wail of electric guitar screamed from the oldies station, they would listen closely...and wonder.


*Ribbon*Winner!!!
© Copyright 2019 IceSkatingSugarCube (UN: jwhitedesigns at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
IceSkatingSugarCube has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/948061-onnie