*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/950881
Rated: 18+ · Book · Genealogy · #2181469
Wharton Family History: The Knights
#950881 added May 2, 2022 at 5:53am
Restrictions: None
Pirates of the North Sea
A central character in the first five years of the Vikings television program mentioned in the chapter on Angry Anglos and Dastardly Danes, was a man named Rollo Sigurdsson, supposed brother of Ragnar Lothbroke. Many liberties were taken regarding his history for the sake of entertainment, but the fact remains there was a Viking named Rollo and he did become the first Duke of Normandy. We are descended from him.

Our ancestor's full name was Rolf "Rollo" Ragnvaldsson. Rolf is from the Old Norse Hrólfr (English Rudolph or Ralph). I suspect Rolf is equivalent to Rudolf and Rollo is more equivalent to Rudy. Norse surnames took the name of their father, so Rollo was the son of Ragnvald, sometimes spelled Rögnvald (English Ragnall). Rollo was also known as Ganger-Hrólfr, meaning "Walking Rolf"—so named because he was so large that no horse could carry him. He conquered the region of northern France that became Normandy, named for the Normans ("Northmen"), and became the first ruler of Normandy.

Scandinavian Rulers

The Viking line of Rollo Ragnvaldsson is the oldest I've been able to trace back. The progenitor was Fornjót, King of Kvenland. This region, also called Cwenaland, is a difficult area to pin down because there are many conflicting ancient accounts, as well as some discrepancies with the compasses used by the Vikings. However, most experts now agree it included the northern portion of Finland, probably northeast of the Gulf of Bothnia, and possibly even part of northern Sweden. The Kvens (Cwenas) often crossed the northern mountains of modern Sweden and Norway to attack the Northmen there. They used small and light, portable boats to travel over land and across the numerous mountain lakes called meres.

Even though Kvenland is thought to have existed, these earlier ancestors may have been more myth than reality. Fornnjót was called "The Ancient Giant" and his sons were Hiér (meaning "sea"), Logi (meaning "fire"), and Kári (meaning "wind"). Kári's son was Frosti (called the "Father of Frost") and his grandson was Snær (called the "Father of Snow"). All of this comes from an ancient document called The Orkneyinga Saga. [1] It sounds almost like the stuff of myths and legends and may well be just that, but it's interesting nonetheless.

That line that descends to Rollo Ragnvaldsson is as follows:

 1 Fornjót (b.abt.160), King of Kvenland
 2 Kari Fornjótsson (b.abt.189), King of Kvenland
 3 Frosti (or Jøkull) Karasson (b.abt.240), King of Kvenland
 4 Snaer den Gamle (b.bet.245-286), King of Kvenland
 5 Thorri Snærsson (b.bet.266-326), King of Kvenland
 6 Gor Thorasson (b.bet.342-402), Sea King
 7 Heytir Gorrsson (b.abt.509), Sea King
 8 Svidri Heytirsson (b.bet.514-574), Sea King
 9 Sveidi Svidrisson (b.abt.649), Sea King
10Halfdan den Gamle Sveidasson (b.bet.715-755)
11 Ivar Halfdansson (b.abt.780), Earl of Upland, Norway
12 Eystein Glumra "The Clatterer (noisy)" Ivarsson (b.abt.810),
         Earl of Upland and Hedemarken (area around Oslo)

13.1 Ragnvald Eysteinsson (b.825), Earl of Möre and Romsdal

   (1) from an unknown mistress:
   14.1 Hallard Ragnvaldson
   14.2 Hrollaug Ragnvaldson ☜ Our Ancestor
   14.3 Einarr Ragnvaldson

   (2) from mariage to Ragnhild (Hilde) dau. Hrolf Nefjaa :
   14.4 Ivar Ragnvaldson
   14.5 Rollo Ragnvaldsson (b. abt. 846) ☜ Our Ancestor
   14.6 Thorir Ragnvaldson

13.2 Sigurd Eysteinsson

Rollo was the 14th descendent of Fornjót. While Rollo and his descendants are referred to as the Dukes of Normandy, that appears to be a case of revisionist history. Not until Richard II was the ruler of Normandy referred to as Duke. Before that, they used the title Count of the Normans, defying Norman pretensions to a ducal title. Although, Richard I was once called dux pyratorum, meaning "Leader of Pirates."

In our family's case, the eponymous "Leader of the Pirates" may be more appropriate, because our connection can hardly be called noble—more like ignoble. Our ancestral D'Eu line that branches from the Dukes of Normandy are connected through illegitimacy (Figure 1).


Figure 1—Relationship of the Wharton family to the Dukes of Normandy.

Rollo's son William, called William Longue Epâee "Long Sword," had a son named Richard Sans-Peur "The Fearless." It was this Richard that had at least two illegitimate sons and one daughter through an unknown mistress. The oldest son was Godfrey (or Geoffrey) and the younger son was our ancestor, named William de Hiémois (of Hiémois), a village in central Normandy. The name of Richard's mistress has been lost to history, but she must surely have held his interest to have borne him three children.

While William de Hiémois may have been an illegitimate son of Richard, such designations carried little of the stigma during that time period that they began to later. In fact, Richard's relationship with William's unknown mother was called more danico. The children of such marriages were in no way considered to be of maligned rank or disadvantaged with respect to inheritance. Many sons of more danico went on to become dukes or kings by succession or conquest. Such was the case with William de Hiémois who became the third Count de Eu.

In 966, Richard created the county of Eu partially as a borderland to protect Normandy from an eastern invasion, and partially as an inheritance for his illegitimate sons (Figure 2).


Figure 2—Location of Eu in medieval Normandy.

The oldest of Richard's illegitimate children, Geoffrey (or Godfrey), became the First Count D'Eu. He was followed by his son, Gilbert (or Giselbert). The title then passed to Richard's second son, William de Hiémois, who became the 3rd Count D'Eu. He was my 32nd great-grandfather.

Five generations after William de Hiémois, Ida D'Eu married into the famous Hastings family when she married William de Hastings. And then, six generations later, Emma Hastings would marry into the Wharton familyr. Thus completed the connection from the Wharton family to the Norse Vikings through Rollo, first ruler of Normandy.

William I, a 2nd great-grandson of Rollo, who would lead the Norman invasion of England in 1066 and ultimately unite it under Norman rule, was also an illegitimate child (Figure 1). So, his line and our D'Eu line would have been half-cousins, or if you don't mind me saying, half-bastards.

Oh, what you find when you shake the family tree.

While its well-know that the Norman Invasion of 1066 changed England forever, the genesis of it began long before William I stormed across the English Channel in 1066. As a matter of fact, the actual invasion took only a flash of time in comparison. What led up to it involved the lack of a royal heir, court intrigue, broken promises, revenge, and the fact that royal succession in Northern Europe at the time was determined more by military power than birthright. A son could inherit the crown, but then have to defend it.

These were all the ingredients necessary for upheaval. It's important to understand why it all happened because our Wharton ancestors were heavily invested in the outcome. They participated in it both financially and militarily. As a matter of fact, it was through the Norman Invasion that most of our ancestors arrived in jolly old England, but its hardly a simple story to tell.

The Roots of the Norman Invasion

For successive generations, the House of Wessex ruled England. All that was about to change, and at the center of the coming turmoil was Queen Emma of Normandy (Figure 3). She was the daughter of Richard "The Fearless," Duke of Normandy. Emma was married off to Æthelred as a concession to keep the Normans from continually raiding England from northern France. She ended up being married to two kings of England and having two sons become kings of England.


Figure 3—Path of Succession to the Crown of England, 978-1066.

When Emma's husband Æthelred died in 1016, she struggled to hold the country together. She was trying to hold off "Cnut The Great," King of the Norway and Denmark, who had invaded England and was waiting just outside London to deliver the final blow. He wanted to consolidate his rule as King of Norway and Denmark with that of England to form a "North Sea Empire."' To bring about a peaceful conclusion, she was able to arrange a marriage to Cnut, which ended the conflict and gave him the crown. It also probably saved the lives of her children by Æthelred, one of whom was Edward, the future king,

Following the wedding, there was a period of Danish rule under Cnut and, after his death, for a short time, his sons—first Harold "Harefoot" from his first marriage and then Harthacnut from his marriage to Emma. Cnut ruled for eighteen years, but combined, his sons ruled for only seven years.

Harold "Harefoot" was a temporary King—the crown rightfully rested with Harthacnut and for a time, they ruled different portions of England together. Harthacnut had to race off to Denmark to defend it from incursions by Norway and Sweden, at which time Harold took over for a short time as de facto King. After Harold died, however, Harthnacut returned and assumed his royal duties. He served only two years, dying in 1042 at which time power again returned to Wessex through Emma's son by her first marriage, Edward "The Confessor."

Oh, what a tangled web. But wait, the real intrigue is yet to come.

For twenty-four years, Edward "The Confessor" ruled and all seemed stable, though a storm was brewing. Because, when he died in January of 1066, England was immediately thrown into turmoil. The reason: he had no heir. With no heir and in the waning years of his life, Edward thought about who would inherit the crown. Regardless of those he thought to be worthy, several contenders sat in the wings:

1. Waiting across the English Channel was William I, Duke of Normandy, the illegitimate great-grandson of Richard "The Fearless"

2. In England, Harold II Goodwinson, chief counsel to King Edward, had the ear of the King

3. Off to the north in Norway was Harald Sigurdsson (also called Hardrada), now the King of Norway, Sweden, and Denmark

4. Smouldering in Flanders, France, was a vengeful Tostig Goodwindon, brother of Harold II

All waited to see how events would unfold. Then Edward, who had dangled the prospect of the crown to William I, on his deathbed supposedly recanted and named Harold II Godwinson as his heir. This inflamed William of Normandy, especially since there had been no witnesses. William contended Harold had just helped himself to the crown. The other principals involved were equally unconvinced of Harold’s right to be King.

The War for the Crown

Tostig was the first to strike (Figure 4), raiding southern England in the spring of 1066. He was finally repulsed at the Battle of Linsey by two brothers, Earls Morcar and Edwin of Northumbria. He retreated north to Scotland and then made contact with King Harald "Hardrada" of Norway, impressing the Norwegian king and his court. Tostig managed to persuade the King to invade England. In partnership, they lead a fleet of 300 Viking ships from Norway, first to Scotland and from there, invaded England by sailing up the Humber Estuary to York. There they defeated Morcar and Edwin who had only a hastily gathered army at the Battle of Fulford Gate on September 20.


Figure 4—Battles for the Crown of England, 1066.

Harold II had heard of Hardrada's plan and was marching an army north to meet the challenge in late September of 1066. He had not arrived in time to join the Battle of Fulford Gate and by the time Harold did arrive, Hardrada and Tostig had successfully taken York and moved toward the Stamford Bridge area. There the forces met on September 25 and battled for hours. Both Tostig and Hardrada were killed and the Vikings retreated.

Only three days after the battle at Stamford Bridge, William, who had been amassing his fleet and armies all summer, saw his opportunity and stormed across the English Channel to invade England. Harold II rushed south to face the new challenge, but was defeated by William at the Battle of Hastings

The country was not yet his, but after several more battles, William triumphed and was crowned King of England on December 25, 1066. It can be argued that William would not have won had Harold's army not be so spent by the previous battle. Nevertheless, William went on to put down other contenders, pretenders, and rebels anywhere in England and became known as William "The Conqueror."

Over the next several years, the sons of Harold II fought to regain the realm without success. William was perhaps more ruthless, but also more organized, unifying England and setting up a system of taxation based largely on the census taken through the Domesday Book.

Harold II had reigned for only 10 months, and became known as the last Anglo-Saxon King. England would be forever changed, ruled by Normans, who were descendants of Viking invaders. So, in a very real sense, England could be considered to have been eventually conquered by the Vikings.

What had all this to do with our family? All these shenanigans by the royals had a significant impact on our ancestors, on both sides of the English channel. While I have yet to find any Celtic ancestors that occupied early England and only one ancestor that may have been either Anglo-Saxon or Danish royalty, we have numerous ancestors from Normandy that all played a significant role. They are as follows:

1. An officer who served under William who was the direct ancestor of the Wharton line and originates our pedigree.

2. Robert D'Eu, grandson of the illegitimate child of Richard "The Fearless," commanded 60 ships in the fleet supporting the landing of William I. Around 1068, he was given the Hastings Castle and the adjacent territories. He was the forefather of the Hastings line that would also marry into the Wharton family.

3. Ernulf (Arnulf) de Hesdin, who was a French knight from the Artois region of France—a vassal state of Flanders. Most likely he fought the early Viking invaders from Normandy since they ravaged most of Europe, and particularly West Flanders. Traditional tactics were insufficient to stop them, so a new "non-noble" class of knight was born, the "ministeriales." The ministeriales manned cavalry units throughout Flanders, thus solving the problem of fast response to Viking assaults and creating a new social class. Ernulf may well have been one of these ministerials since his ancestry cannot be traced and so was most likely non-noble. He would have fought the Normans and Vikings attempting to conquer the Netherlands, Belgium, and northern France. Although previous at odds with the Normans, Ernulf figured prominently in the Norman Invasion, proving the old adage: "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

4. And, of course, all the daughters of famous Norman lines that married into our Wharton line. Such luminary lines that include de Musgrave, de Mornay, de Warrene, and so forth. Is it any wonder that I've labelled the Wharton side of our family history as "Knights."

That the Whartons are of predominantly Norman stock came as quite a shock to me. When I was young, Robin Hood had always been portrayed as an Anglo-Saxon freedom fighter standing up to the evil Normans who were ruling England (Prince John was the son of Henry II Plantagenet—a Norman). Naturally, I sided with Robin Hood, only to find out years later that our family is of Norman descent. Now I have to view Robin Hood as a lawless hooligan.

———————

FOOTNOTES

[1] Anderson, Joshep, ed. The Orkneyinga Saga   translated by Jon A Hjaltalin and Gilbert Goudie. Edmonton and Douglas; Edinburgh, Scotland. 1873.

COPYWRITE INFORMATION

Unless otherwise noted, individual relationships were developed on ancestry.com, Threads of the Wharton Sleeve, while biographical and common knowledge comes from publicly shared information on Wikipedia that is available to everyone or nearly everyone. It is used in the broadest sense that has been accepted as valid by multiple users; therefore complies with the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License   Permission is herby granted to redistribute any and all information, verbatim or modified, providing that you also comply with the terms of the Creative Commons Deed.

© Copyright 2022 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/950881