*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/951228-Love-the-Little-Things--Darkness-Within
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#951228 added February 5, 2019 at 11:13am
Restrictions: None
Love the Little Things & Darkness Within
"Blogging Circle of Friends "
DAY 2270: February 5, 2019
Prompt: Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things like the scent of the rain, the taste of your favorite food, or the sound of a loved one's voice. Joseph B. Wirthlin
Write about the little things you are grateful for.


I often tell myself to appreciate the little things in life. Sometimes its those small, fleeting moments of happiness that make the whole crazy ride really worth it. For me, it is those moments that I try to take stock in, file away or write about as evidence that I'm doing something right in this life. Moments like crawling back into bed early Sunday morning after taking the dogs out before the sun. It is the only morning my husband is there to sleep in and I have to smile watching the dogs both jockey for the prime position of lying next to him. My daughter almost always wakes with a warm smile, surrounded by all the people and fur siblings she most loves in all the world. She feels safe and contented and is shows on her soft features. Sometimes we take coffee and bagels in bed and watch the news, reluctant to part ways right away and get up and start the day doing our own things. Sunday mornings are filled with my most favorite little things.

Simple things tend like freshly brewed cup of Italian roast on the back deck watching the birds, laughing with my sister over something one of us said, or doing some coloring or art with my daughter...are filled with the kind of brevity you need in a life that often feels out of balance or chaotic. Spending an hour in a coffee shop catching up with my oldest friend is like balm on my soul. Sitting by the fire with a good glass of red wine and a book is just heavenly. Watching the sun rise, or spending a few moments appreciating the painted sky at sunset gives me a chance to catch my breathe and feel grateful for all life's blessings.


"Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise"
DAY 1876--February 5, 2019
Prompt: “Sometimes there is no darker place than our thoughts, the moonless midnight of the mind.” Dean Koontz
Why do you think people experience those dark thoughts, and even some become fixated on them?


I think all people have a dark side. I believe it is human to feel the dark thoughts and that it takes responsibility to not let them rule over us. Evil exists and I think we must always be wary of the power it has to corrupt us. I do not know how people give in and do evil things, how they allow it to take over and crawl from thoughts and nightmares into their reality - only that some do. Sometimes dark thoughts are born of doubt or fear but then others are spawned from more primitive instincts and impulses like greed and lust, and a hunger for something that can not be achieved unless their is an absence of light in one's soul and a lack of a sound moral compass.

I am watching the "Ted Bundy Tapes" on Netflicks the other day and I was thinking about this stuff. How does someone become that depraved? How does someone get so corrupted that they loose themselves completely in the "midnight"? Is it one trauma suffered at a crucial time of development or it is something more insidious at work? Is there such a thing as evil taking over and possessing someone? It that latter is true, how do we protect ourselves from people like this? People that can kill and murder without conscious or remorse, driven by some hidden evil entity that hides behind blue eyes and toothy grins...how do we fortify ourselves from something we can not explain or see coming? At the end of the day, why are we even drawn to watch things like this program? It is our morbid curiosity or some powerful need for self-preservation...is it easiest for us to fight off the evil we know?

© Copyright 2019 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/951228-Love-the-Little-Things--Darkness-Within