*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/952230-Mental-Health-Nonfiction-Memoirs
by Emily
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2166092
A blog to house my musings, curiosities, and fascinations.
#952230 added February 17, 2019 at 3:57pm
Restrictions: None
Mental Health Nonfiction Memoirs
I’m currently reading Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig, which is a nonfiction memoir about the author’s struggle with depression.

Tell us about some of your favorite nonfiction mental health books. Have you ever thought about writing a nonfiction mental health memoir yourself? Why or why not?


From the "Invalid Item



When I saw this prompt, I knew immediately the book I wanted to write about. I've been pouring myself into audiobooks recently, and this particular book is one that simply blew my socks off. I was not expecting to relate so much to the author, but her story is as real as it gets. She doesn't claim to be anything more than she is. She is imperfect, and that's ok. I wrote a more general book review linked here, but I'll take some time now to delve a little deeper into my thoughts on Hope Jahren's book, Lab Girl.

Lab Girl: A Memoir   (Rated: 18+)
ASIN: 1101873728
ID #113919
Product Type: Book
Reviewer: Emily
Review Rated: E
  Setting:
  Story Plot:
  Length of :
  Overall Quality:
Amazon's Price: $ 9.99


I assume you clicked over to read the review, so I won't repeat the basic premise of the book here again. Jahren's writing style was so engrossing, it was easy to get pulled along by her tale and miss the subtle signs of her anxiety, panic, and manic depression emerging throughout the book. Jahren does a fabulous job telling her story. All of it. All of her joys. All of her fears. All of her accomplishments. And all of her struggles with mental health. At first, she does not directly call out these unhealthy emotions, choosing instead to let the reader feel them for themselves as a part of the complete story. This is not a book about mental health. It is a book about Hope Jahren. The whole of her being, including the parts that wouldn't normally make it into a book about a successful scientist.

I really appreciated how Jahren juxtaposed her analytical and obsessive passion for her work with soil and plants, with her aloof dismissal of her own psychology and the strain she was putting on herself. I related to her easily because she was afraid to seek help for fear of being shunned in the scientific community or further marginalized. Whatever problems she was having would simply have to take a back seat until the grant proposal was written, the spectrometer assembled, the research paper edited, etc. Her dedication to her work was humbling to witness, but so much more was revealed once the reader saw deeper into her pained psyche.

In addition to her wholehearted dedication to her work, I also related to Jahren for her distinct fears stemming from her gender. She was a young female scientist in a predominantly mans field. Her constant need to prove herself extended beyond her lab and into everything she did. Even when she was finally ready to start a family, she was plagued by the doubt of whether she would be a good mother. Would she be able to ever love her son as much as he deserved to be loved? Her recount of giving birth is one of the most personal and honest pieces of writing I have ever read. This is not a book full of happiness and rainbows. This is real life where things are messy. Things go wrong. And people make mistakes.

I do also have to comment on the fact that I listened to this as an audiobook where Hope Jahren herself was the narrator. I wouldn't recommend it any other way, to be honest. I do want to read the book again in paper form, but hearing it straight from the author's mouth is unlike anything. I also noticed that Matt Haig narrated the audiobook of his book as well, so I've put that on my list. I think I would probably listen to any memoir read by the author because it feels so much more intimate and personal to me. I could tell, for example, when Jahren was struggling to read the words she had written and even started tearing up. Absolutely gripping. Highly recommend. I'm excited to hear Haig tell his story.

If I were to one day write a memoir of my life, it would include elements of my mental health, but I don't believe I'm anywhere near the point in my life where I want or need to write that book. I have a lot more growth left to do and a lot more life to live. I don't know what mental health struggles are in my future, but reading the accomplishments of Jahren and her candid attitude about her mental health showed me that if and when I'm ready to write my own memoir, I'll be able to follow her lead and showcase how my mental health is a part of my life, not a director of it.

© Copyright 2019 Emily (UN: hawaiifoeva at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Emily has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/952230-Mental-Health-Nonfiction-Memoirs