*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/952555
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Seuzz
Rated: GC · Book · Occult · #2180093
A high school student finds a grimoire that shows how to make magical disguises.
#952555 added February 20, 2019 at 9:52pm
Restrictions: None
Back Alley Meetings
Previously: "Where There's a Will

(Written by rugal b.)

You realize that no, you can't. Oh, there's an obvious solution right in front of you of course but using Caleb to take your place with either Umeko or Lisa is like something out of a bad sitcom plot. You also know that, much like a bad sitcom plot, things will most assuredly not go as planned and while hijinks on television might be entertaining to watch you imagine they're much less entertaining to experience. There's also another complication as well and that's Lisa herself.

You'd noted the seemingly distracted nature on the other end of the line. That means that she'd either already forgotten about the suggestion in the first place or had other stuff planned; not that the two possibilities are mutually exclusive of course. Beyond forgetting there's another curveball she'd throw your way in the form of her current boyfriend. You never liked Mansfield even before he'd swooped in and stolen Lisa from you.

So it's looking more and more like you'll stick with the "date" with Umeko. Besides, protests to the contrary towards Caleb, you can't deny your crush and it's not like he isn't right on the blood relation thing. In fact you never saw much of her outside the occasional Christmas until your aunt and uncle moved to Saratoga Falls about six years back when your uncle left the Navy with an honorable discharge and decided to come back to his old stomping grounds.

But what kind of excuse do you give to Lisa? Not like you can tell her that you're blowing her off to go on a not-a-date with your cousin... well, not exactly. That does give you a good enough idea.

"Five-fifteen," you ask trying to put just the tiniest bit of concern in your voice.

"That's not good," she asks.

"Oh, well, I was kinda hoping for later," you tell her. "See, there's going to be a family get together. Nothing big, just pizza at Balducci's, but it's with my aunt and uncle and my dad wants the whole family to come."

"Including you?"

"You've met my dad plenty so you know how he is," you groan. "When he says everyone he means everyone. We're supposed to be there around five."

"Five? Hmm, well that's probably not going to work I guess," she says in a disappointed tone that you're unable to tell the sincerity of.

"Look, I'm sorry Lisa really," you faux-apologize. "I kinda thought you'd have later open but if not..."

"No, it's fine Will don't worry about it," she says with a small laugh. "We can get together some other time. We'll talk at school tomorrow or something. Seeya!"

"Yeah, uh, see you then," you reply as the line goes dead.

You sit there for a moment not sure how to process the conversation. On one hand you're crushed that your chance to spend time with Lisa is blown because Caleb had to go and make plans for you behind your back. But on the other, part of you feels relieved. If you were going to spend time with Lisa, you'd want to be spending time with her and not Lisa and Geoff.

The best thing is not to dwell on it, you figure, so you instead work on getting yourself ready for your little get together.

* * * * *


For all your preparation you wind up falling on the usual outfit: cargo shorts, t-shirt, ballcap. You've never been much for fashion and it's never made sense to you. You just wear what's comfortable.

Umeko is different. She's come in something simple as well: a sleeveless white blouse and dark jeans plus some boots that add a couple of inches to her height. But the way she carries herself, with a bright confidence, makes it stand out more than usual. That confidence is the only bright spot however.

For all that she's your cousin, you find yourself as intimidated by her presence as you do most other pretty girls. She compliments you on your suit from this morning and it's all you can do to bashfully mutter out a positive response. But that's the least of it. She then starts asking you about biochemistry and wanting to "pick up where you left off" earlier. Apparently Will Prescott had gotten it in his head to ask her about her major which led into science talk.

Science talk is something that a Will Prescott might know a lot about but certainly not the Will Prescott and you make a mental note to re-enact the Simpsons' preferred method of child abuse on Caleb the next time you see him.

You think the entire "date" is going terribly so you're not surprised when Umeko suggests that you maybe the two of you should leave. You are surprised, however, when she mentions going to a small club just off campus.

"I think that environment might help loosen you up a bit," she tells you. "Besides, one of the few good local bands is playing there so I figure it would be cool to watch. You're fine with that?"

Not having any experience with clubs but not wanting to separate from Umeko just yet you agree to head out with her.

* * * * *


Unfortunately, the cramped and loud space separates you from your cousin fairly quickly. There's a stuffiness from the atmosphere that you find stifling and you try your best to make your way through the throng of people and towards a door that you push open and duck out of. You're in a small alleyway behind the building and you notice a dumpster not too far from the door. Still it's a nice, quiet place to regroup both from the atmosphere of the club and the events of the afternoon.

It's in the middle of groaning and muttering to yourself that you notice the door you just came through open.

"You're really going to do that now," calls out a male voice in a bit of frustration.

"We've got like twenty minutes before this one finishes up and its our turn," replies a female voice. "We've been so busy getting crap set up that I haven't had a smoke all day."

"Fine but if you're not back we're going up without you," the first voice states.

"Yeah yeah!"

The owner of the second voice finally emerges out into the alleyway and it's a girl not too much shorter than you though much skinnier and with a mess of light lavender hair. She turns her head and takes a look at you. "Empty threats, they know I'm good," she says in a non-chalant manner as she takes a pack of cigarettes out of her bag. She pulls one out, lights it and takes a drag before noticing you're still looking in her direction.

She stretches her hand with the pack in your general direction and it takes you a second to realize she's offering you one. You turn her down. "Oh, figured that's why you were back here," she states.

"I kind of ended up out here on accident," you sheepishly admit. "I'm not really used to places like this so I was kind of overwhelmed."

"Yeah, well, I'm used to this place and it's still a stuffy hole in the wall," she replies. "So I feel you."

"That and I just needed a little bit of time to myself," you add. "I've had kind of a stressful day."

"Girl troubles or something?"

"Kind of," you reply. "What would make you guess that?"

"Just figured really," she states as she continues taking another drag. "You've got kind of a boyish look. Girls like that."

"Th-they do," you can only stutter out.

"Well I do, anyway," she laugh, "and I've got the best taste I know so it's a bit of warranted projection on my part."

You feel yourself blushing at that but do your best to move past it. "It's not just... just that," you say. "It's also getting stuck in arrangements other people set up."

"We're like peas in a pod then," the girl replies. "I was really hoping for a day off but Zoe had to go and book this gig at the last minute and didn't bother to tell anyone else until yesterday. Whole lot of schedule re-arranging."

"Gig," you ask, "Oh, you're with one of the bands? That's cool! Uh, which one?"

"Slow Fast Hazel, you've probably heard of us," she states with a bit of faux-arrogance. That earns only a shake of your head however. "Oh, well I am just crushed," she says in mock dejection.

"Sorry I just... this is actually the first concert I've really gone to. I don't get out to shows honestly."

"Hmm, well that's just no good then," the girl states. "You something of a homebody I take it? Well I'm going to have to give you a little bit of incentive to keep coming out and buying our demos and LPs."

There's a few minutes spent making light conversation while she finishes her cigarette and you find that she's surprisingly easy to talk to. The door opens and a dark-haired girl pokes her head out. "Hey, the other guys are finishing up early. We gotta get ready like right now," she states towards the lavender-haired girl.

"Ugh, yeah alright I'm coming Zoe," she says as she puts her cigarette out.

She stops as she walks past you and looks at you. This is the first good look at her face that you've gotten and you're immediately drawn to her plump lips. "Hey, didn't catch your name," she says.

"Oh, uh, Will," you reply.

"I'm K.C. Nice chilling with you, Will."

With that she goes to re-enter the building but before that she surprises you by leaning in quickly and planting those pillowy lips right on your cheek. Immediately you turn into a crimson mess. "Said I'd give you an incentive," she grins.

"Really," comes the other girl's, Zoe's, voice with a giggle.

"It's been a while and he's kinda cute," she replies in an amused tone as the door closes behind her.

You stand there for a minute or two trying to process what just happened. You really can't, you realize, and with a burning face and a heart ready to burst out of your chest you head back into the building yourself.

That's all for now.

© Copyright 2019 Seuzz (UN: seuzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/952555