*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/953597-Conspiracy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#953597 added March 3, 2019 at 12:16am
Restrictions: None
Conspiracy
Sometimes, people do awesome things.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/575702/denver-international-airport-installs-talk...

Denver International Airport Installs Talking Gargoyle as a Nod to Conspiracy Theories

The scariest parts of most airports are the long security lines and baggage fees. At the Denver International Airport in Colorado, travelers are also confronted with disturbing art, strange markers on the ground, and a demonic horse statue that killed its creator (no, really). These quirks have given rise to conspiracy theories that the airport is a center of illuminati activity, and now Denver International is leaning into these rumors with a new gargoyle that talks to customers, the Denver Post reports.

Hey, if you're going to be a target for conspiracy nuts anyway, might as well OWN that shit.

As an aside, "theory" isn't a good word for this sort of thing. But then, English has an unfortunate, stubborn reluctance to mold itself to my will. It is unlikely that the conspiracy whackjobs will adopt my suggestion of "conspiracy fiction," "theory" it will remain.

I may be playing into their hands to give this sort of thing any attention at all, but again, it's not like anyone spares a thought for my opinion about these things. Thus, I can safely learn what the fringe element is concocting, knowing that I can neither fuel or dampen their fire.

When you think of people who honestly see conspiracies in every damn thing, the image you probably have involves a tinfoil hat. Some people believe that it blocks the mind-control rays. I've tried to start a counterargument that tinfoil hats actually concentrate and enhance the effect, thus blowing their minds, but again, nothing.

As the video below shows, the wise-cracking character didn't avoid bringing up the airport's reputation. "Welcome to Illuminati Headquarters … I mean, Denver International Airport," he tells one passerby.

That part made me LOL.

I find most conspiracy "theories" highly amusing. The ones I don't find amusing are the ones that put all our problems squarely on a single group of people, usually "the Jews;" that sort of thing just fuels more xenophobia, something we could do with a lot less of in the world. And also the moon landing hoax people - that group is beyond help. Even the flat-Earthers can be a source of amusement, but to reject the single greatest accomplishment of humanity is to reject humanity itself. I just want to take them to the edge of the planet and push them off.

The gargoyle is part of a larger campaign from the airport that embraces the conspiracy theories surrounding it. Last year, Denver International hung posters referencing aliens, freemasons, and lizard people outside an off-limits construction zone

Someone over there at DIA has an epic sense of humor. This, folks... this is how you troll.

© Copyright 2019 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/953597-Conspiracy