*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/954988-Chapter-4
Rated: 18+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #2183803
A story about a young man and his journey to an ancient city.
#954988 added July 19, 2019 at 8:09pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 4
         The Grand Desert of Salt is a vast dust pit that covers the western continent of Salatia. The wailing arid winds pervade the very light sands creating giant dunes throughout the region. The hot sun adds to the misery with its constant assault on the exposing sands creating mirage inducing heatwaves. At the center of the vast area sits an enormous sea-stone and marble castle. Colorful seashells and coral limestone decorated the pointed roof-tops and towers, but the marble pillars stood below. Stain glass windows, black marble floors, and volcanic reefs grace the aquatic interior with giant grey stone statues of dragons and wyverns induce a sense of pride to anyone looking at them. A dark blue, white swirl marble hallway with burning lamps hanging from the tall roofs leads to a large grey stone double door with a design of a fierce dragon. With two lizard guards at the entrance, the echoing clap of dark blue high heels of a woman with a long red ponytail grew louder with each step. The dark blue leather skinsuit reveals her slender and curvy figure as a black cape with a fancy red dragon design grace her back. The young woman walks with haste passing the marble columns with an intense look in her blue eyes that glisten in the torchlit hallway.

         The two leather armored lizardmen walk apart from each other carrying spears making way for the maiden. However, the woman stops in front of the stone double doors and balls her fist in a fit of swelling anger. The woman explodes in a fit of rage, kicking the double stone doors with her high heels grunting and shouting. Clocking noise of her high heels striking the stone bounces off the walls switching feet.

         “THOSE IDIOTS!” She says with a high-tone voice echoing through the hallway. “I give them food and protection, and they can’t even defeat a half-starved army! It's like my father always says never send HUMANS to do a dragon’s job.”

         The woman ceases her attack on the door and runs her creamy hand along the tops of her red hair and adjusts her posture.

         “Now I have to break the news to my father and mother. Open the door!” She shouts to the guards.

         The green lizardmen place their rough, pointy claw hands on the door and push hard lowering their heads to open the door. A rumble ricochets through the grand hallway as the stone rubs against the marble floor. The door opens halfway for the young woman to fit through, and she walks inside the large chamber.

         Inside, the large dark chamber were two dragons laying in a curl on the marble floor resting. One with black and red scales that litter across its body rest beside a smaller one with glittering green scales. Their snoozing resembles a rushing wind with the smell of hot cinnamon from burning incense freshens the room. Black smoke, however, rose from their round nostrils as they rest their narrow heads on their arms.

         The woman stood at attention and addresses both of them.

         “King Radius, Queen Herria.” She calls. I have come bearing news on the battle.

         Then the black and red scale dragon opens its draconic eyes, revealing an orange glow that shines on the young woman. It sits up high in the room exposing its bare green scale underbelly and with its head towering above.

         The woman, however, wasn’t afraid and keeps a look of determination as pride fills her chest at the figure standing before her.

         “Debra?” A deep resonating voice speaks from the dragons moving lips. “How many times do I have to tell you to address me as your father and not as my general?”

         “I told her to do so, dear.” A feminine growling voice speaks in the fetal position, head resting on her arms.

         “Well, I don’t like it.” Radius says. “She’s my precious and ONLY daughter; I don’t want us to be separated by rank.”

         “Father, I lost the campaign to the east,” Debra says.

         “Now that’s more like it.” Radius says with a smile on its reptilian face then it lowers its head back onto its folding arms.

         “The army you supplied me with wasn’t able to defeat the Dalmecians, and I’m running short on men.” The young woman says.

         “Don’t fret daughter,” Herria says straightening her narrow head on her arms, opening its glowing green draconic eyes.

         “The human army were mere training tools to help hone your skills as a general. We did not expect you to successfully wage war against a more organized and well-prepared army.” The Queen continues.

         “You mean, all this was just a training exercise?” Debra asks

         “Yes.” Radius says, looking at Debra. “There is nothing in debt forest that’s any of importance. Your real objective is the Tri-forts. It’s guarded well with over half a million troops along with some verse mages. We didn’t want you to go there without knowing how the enemy engages its invaders. Learn from this defeat.”

         “What do I do now?” Debra asks.

         “I have hatched a brood of dragoons for your next campaign.” The green dragon says. “Treat them as your brothers and sisters.”

         “Take them and launch an attack on the Tri-forts to the southeast.” Radius says. “This will draw out Ryzor’s main force, and we will launch the golems towards their capital to weaken their supplies.”

         “Do not underestimate the Dalmecians.” Radius says, looking at Debra with his draconic eyes.

         “The humans alone possess very potent and destructive verses that can humble the mightiest of our kind. And if you see the battle go awry, retreat immediately. This is just a diversionary attack meant to draw away their main force from their capital city to give our golems an opportunity to destroy it.”

         “Yes, father,” Debra says with a resolute voice. “I will carry out your plan.”

         She then turns walking towards the exit.

         “Hold it,” Herria speaks, halting Debra. “I’m only allowing this because you need to learn about the world around you. Don’t let this distract you from your primary duty.”

         “Ughh!” Debra says, lowering her head in disappointment.

         “Your suitor will be waiting for your return.” The Queen says. “Understand?”

         “Yes, mother,” Debra says in a disappointing tone. “She then walks out of the open chamber, and the lizardmen close the door shut.”

         Outside of the castle in the sun-bathing desert sands, rumbling sounds along with the hissing noise of shifting sands. A dozen large sand color cannons emerge from the ground, and the sandy cylinders rumble as the nuzzles turn towards the eastern skies. Then white puffs of smoke eject from each of the muzzles as the booming cannons fire large rocky objects into the air. The objects leave cloud white trails as they tear into the blue skies disappearing into the clouds.

###


         Whisp Forest, just a few leagues south of Timber Village is an ideal location for Dalmecian military headquarters. Located between belle city and the Tri forts, officers can conduct logistics operations along with scouting operations and defensive operations with ease. The thick dark green trees serve as cover from dragons flying over and water flowing from norm river from the east, saturates the woods making them fireproof. Inside the shady terrain sits a garrison consisting of several black and white tents with flag posts on each of them. Over half-a-dozen Dalmecian guards with steel pikes and spears stand quiet in the camp while skinny servants walk about the field carrying out their activities consisting of cooking and cleaning.

         A festive mood hovers around the centermost tent as sounds of triumphant laughing disturbs the quiet forest. Tin cups slam onto wooden tables as the scraping sounds of silverware mix with munching noise of food consumption. Several servants wearing white tunics and white pants with small, black caps on their heads, stand next to five people eating amidst the growling noises of their stomachs.

         “Did you see those Alternean traitors?!” A haughty voice speaks from the wet lips of a blonde hair prince. His armor was light with a smooth white metal breastplate and black shoulder plates with a beautiful polish that glistens under torchlight.

         “They ran the minute my verse mages devastated their ranks.” He says laughing and wiping the bread crumbs off his mouth while eating.

         Then a tin cup slams on the table rattling the plates and silverware. There, a short black spiky hair tomboyish woman talks while devouring the leg of a juicy golden-brown turkey.

         “Verse mages were nothing compared to my impenetrable soldiers.” The woman says with a mouth full of half-eaten meat. She then grabs a metal cup full of wine and tilts her head back to gulp down the cold liquid to wash down the turkey. Streams of dark red liquid run down her creamy cheek and she wipes the excess off with her black metal vambrace.

         “You call that impenetrable!?” The young man says motioning with is arms. “Well, I guess you can when you compare it with that impenetrable skull you have Tyranese.”

         The woman shoots straight up out of her wooden chair and slams her hands on the table in defiance.

         “Insult me again Anguish, and I’ll choke that conceited little neck of yours!” She shouts.

         “My My.” One of two twin teenage girl says sitting on the side table across from Tyranese. “You're quite barbaric sister.”

         The twins wear black lightweight armor one had purple lining and the other pink linings. The girl’s hairstyle mirrors each other with a white flower in their long silky black hairs.

         “You should put that beastly form to rest sister.” The other twin laughs. “Otherwise, you’ll be a wrinkly old woman in a few days.”

         “Dissandra, Ordenia,” Tyranese says, pointing at them with the finger of her black gauntlet. “Out here, father has placed me as your commanding officer. So SHUT UP!”

         Celta sits at the far end of the table, crossing her legs. Her raven hair covers her white gauntlets as she rests her chin on the black cotton palm with a sullen look on her face. Ignoring the loud tantrums being thrown across the table, she stares into an endless swirl of orange-yellow carrot soup as he rotates her silver spoon in the white bowl. She sighs with the thoughts of her previous encounter, weighing on her mind.

         “What’s eatin you Celta?” Tyranese says, noticing her sullen mood.

         “Nothing,” Celta says, staring at her soup.

         “She’s depressed because someone beat her during the battle.” One of the twin’s teases.

         “What!?” Tyranese shouts.

         “That’s not true Ordenia!?” Celta says.

         Anguish sneaks around the table while Celta was arguing with the two sisters and snatches the two silver bladeless hilts out from her sheaths.

         “Then what are these!?” Anguish says waving the short hilts over her head.

         “GIVE THEM BACK ANGUISH!” Celta shouts shooting up from her chair, knocking it over.

         Anguish laughs as he spins around holding the two ornaments in his hands while Celta attempts to get them back.

         Then a heavy plate rattling thud on the table halts the fighting sibling in their tracks.

         “Celta! Why didn’t you tell me what happened? Who insulted you like this!?” Tyranese says.

         Celta, apprehensive, looks to her left and her right and her perky lips move but couldn’t speak the words.

         “Was it an Alternean?” Anguish asks.

         “Yes.” Celta replies in haste. “A general.”

         “Why didn’t you tell me?!” Tyranese shouts. “We could’ve teamed up on it.”

         “I wanted to face him myself to regain my honor,” Celta says.

         Her words silence the siblings in the room and Anguish relents from teasing.

         “I hear all of you did well in the previous battle,” Celta says. “I don’t want to go home to father humiliated.”

         Tyranese lets out a sigh and sits back in her chair. The rest do the same with Anguish still holding onto the bladeless silver hilts.

         “We’ll conduct a search of the area before we head home,” Tyranese says. “If we find him, then we’ll deal with him. Until then, no one repeats the incident to father.”

         All of the siblings nod their heads in agreement.

         “Thank you, sister,” Celta says, picking up her wooden chair to sit in.

         “Anguish.” Tyranese calls. “Can you get those blades fixed?”

         “We’ll have to craft new ones.” Anguish says. “But…”

         “What is it?” Tyranese asks.

         “The metal was enhanced by verses to make these blades nearly unbreakable.” Anguish says as he examines the bladeless hilts.

         “What Alternean could’ve possibly done this amount of damage?” He askes, looking at Celta.

         “He was…” Celta says, lowering her head. “A very skilled swordsman.”

###

         A cool autumn breeze sweeps across the bright green rustling grass with the fresh grassy scent invading Drake’s nostrils as he walks along an open path. He rotates his arm to ease an annoying cramp while he carries the fire bee hive underneath his other arm. His stomach grumbles, causing him to stop and retrieve the empty hive from his arm. He observes the silky colony and places his finger into the hole at the bottom of the hive and extracts more honey from the inside. He looks at the clear syrup on his dark finger and attempts to eat it.

         You shouldn’t eat that. Fane speaks in Drake's mind.

         Why not?

         Fire bee honey is known to be very poisonous; causing paralysis or possibly death to anyone who eats it.
         So that’s what happened,” Drake says. “I was so hungry, though, and I couldn’t find any food. I’m hungry right now.

         It’s not a good idea to eat something that can possibly kill you Drake; hungry or no, Fane says. The syrup can be used to stop the pain in your arm as it heals. I know it’s been hurting for quite some time.

         “Yeah,” Drake says as he rotates his arm again to ease the pain. He then takes the syrup from the hive and rubs it over the scabs on his arm, wincing in pain from the burning sting he feels.

         “There,” Drake says as he finishes as he was about to toss the hive away.

         Keep the hive as its silk is quite valuable and can fetch you a meal or two.

         “Alright,” Drake says as he places the silky hive underneath his arms and continues his walk down the dirt trodden path.

         Now that you are alone, I must educate you about my powers.

         “What is it?” Drake says while his feet crunch the rocks beneath his feet, walking.

         The sword you possess grants you with the power of fire. However, this does not make you invincible. You are only able to call upon the sword so long as conditions are favorable. If it is exposed to its elemental weakness, then it will become weak and will eventually be dismissed. So, your skill as a swordsman must make up for the flaws.

         That’s why grandma constantly drilled me on swordsmanship all those years in the quarry. I can still feel the pain.

         There’s another element of battle you need to understand. Do you know what I’m talking about?

         "Verses?” Drake says looking at a distant wooden village while walking the beaten path.

         “Yes,” Fane says.

         Eons ago, the abyss waged war against Endina and all of its inhabitants. With its minions and dark contraptions, it killed nearly everything on the planet. However, a powerful being arrived, and with his words alone, he struck down the abyss and banished it to the otherworld. Seeing the lands desolate after abyss’s onslaught, he scatters his words all across Endina to aid those who would fight the abyss. His words are what we know today as verses.

         “Where do I find these verses?” Drake asks.

         In various forms. Some are stored in books others are on runes, waterfalls, volcanoes anywhere. Verses are critical to your journey. You will face enemies that your sword alone cannot conquer. You will find doors that do not open. And you will be in perils that no one will be able to save you from. Verses will be your saving grace.

         Today, I will give you three verses. So, stand still and listen to me as you inscribe them with your flames

         Drake stops walking, and he can feel a surge of heat travel from his feet through his spine and into his hands where his finger ignites with a small orange flame.

         “HEATSWELL!” Fane says. And Drake burns the blazing orange words in the air with his finger. The words grow bright and disappear in tiny embers.

         “INCINERATE!” Fane continues, and Drake does it again.

         “BLASTVOLLEY!” Fane shouts. Drake writes the final verse in the air, and it disappears soon after.

         Now that these verses are engraved in your mind, You will always remember them for your journey.

         “Alright!” Drake laughs with enthusiasm. “Now I get to use them now.”

         Don’t be reckless Drake. You will only have one use of these verses in a day. Once expired you will be verseless until the crack of dawn. Now go and seek out more verses to become more powerful.

         "Right!” Drake says as he continues walking down the beaten path.

         A few hours later, Drake arrives at a village with shabby brown shacks all over a grassless patch of dirt. Buzzing flies and crackling firepit sit between the many houses as the smell of burning redwood strikes drakes’ nostrils. Curious, Drake walks towards the town, observing the citizens expiring beside their homes. Dirt covers the cotton robes and tunics of the many residents there with little care given to their dwellings. With all of the home’s doors open, a weak and thin woman struggle up the steps carrying a small child in her arms. The sight distracts Drake’s gaze causing him to trip over the leg of a motionless man with dirty hands and bare feet. Buzzing flies populate the air around the man's head; slapping his face of any insect that interrupts his rest.

         He then sees malnourished children walking about wearing simple dusty clothes huddling around the crackling campfire poking the pit with wooden sticks. Everyone goes on their miserable day, ignoring Drake as he saunters through the village with a perplexing look on his face.

         So this is how people are living outside the quarry. And I thought the quarry was bad. We weren’t as skinny as these people are. I can even see their bones. The decaying odor really stands out the most. I wish someone explain what's going on here.

         Then, a small ringing noise sounds from the far side of the village gaining everyone’s attention, making them rush towards the sound. Malnourished women and children steps past drake with an enthusiastic sprint he didn’t see before. The man he saw sitting earlier runs past drake as well towards the event. Drake follows the people and sees them gathering around a donkey and a tarp carriage. The sides of the light blue tarp display an assortment of fish, old fruits and half-molded bread. The people pile up on around wagon waving wooden logs in the air all seeking to be the first in line. From the crowd, up climbs a brown hair, white young man wearing a long blue robe with a white undershirt.

         “Ok, listen up!” The young man says, clapping his hands several times to calm the residents down.

         “Women and children first.” He says with a calm voice. “Have your items ready for trade and no pushing.”

         Then the people all hold up various wooden logs cut down from the nearby trees. Kevin starts collecting them and giving them morsels of bread, fish and other foods to eat. Drake looks at the hive he holds underneath his armpit and starts making his way towards the Carriage.

         “One at a time.” The young man says as he tosses wood inside the carriage.

         Drake makes his way close to the young man, and he holds up the dark rainbow silky hive towards the merchant. The merchant stops when he sees the husk and stares at it for a few moments. He glances at Drake for a few moments and takes the silky hive out of Drake's hands.

         “You’re not from here, are you?” The young man asks.

         Drake shakes his head.

         “What can it get for it?” Drake asks.

         “How did you get this?” The young man asks. “Debt forest is off-limits to commoners.”

         “I was just there,” Drake says.

         The young man observes Drake with his brown eyes for a few moments and notices the black scabs on his arm.

         “You’re from the quarry, aren’t you?” The merchant asks.

         Drake stands silent at the merchant's question.

         “Look Dalmecian law forbids merchants from trading with escaped prisoners.” He says handing the hive back to him.

         “Prisoners?” Drake replies, offended. “What did we do?”

         “The inhabitants imprisoned there were the ones responsible for the Queen's death.” The merchant says.

         “What!?” Drake shouts in protests. “I had nothing to do with that!? I haven’t even met her.”

         “Well, it was a long time ago.” The young merchant says. “But the law is law. If I trade with you, then I’ll be locked up there.”

         “Well, you don’t have to worry about that,” Drake says offended. “They killed everyone in the quarry. I’m the only one who made it out alive.”

         “Everyone!?” The young man says with a perplexing look on his face. “I’m sorry.”

         Drake lets out a frustrating breath, takes his hive, and walks away from the carriage in anger.

         “I’m sorry!” The young man shouts motioning with his arms as Drake walks away.

         Then a large object from the sky crashes into a hut shattering it into pieces. Drake covers his face with his arms from the expanding dust cloud. Clunking wooden planks and clattering rocks sounds as a rumble reverberates through the village. Screams of the local villagers echo amidst the dust as Drake squints his eyes to see through the cloud. There, a shadow figure standing as tall as the houses pound the ground with its heavy feet. A red glow shimmers through the dust cloud, revealing a massive rock golem with fists the size of boulders and an oval head with a red jewel on its face.

         “IT’S ALTERNEANS!’ People shout as they start fleeing away from the golem. “THEY ARE ATTACKING!”

         The golem gives off a moop as its red jewel flashes a few times before a beam of red light shoots from its skull passing by a few villagers before a trail of flaming pillars explodes in its path. Victims cry and scream as they are flung in all directions with the golem’s face turning to a nearby shack. It raises its toned arms, and with a downward swing, it bashes the hut into pieces. Wooden debris bounces off Drakes' forearms as he covers his face. He lowers his arms and sees a woman running and falling in front of the giant. The giant raises its foot to stomp on the sobbing woman, but Drake breaks out in a full sprint. Huffing and stomping, Drake takes his finger, summons Fane to his hand. Feeling a burning sensation in his hand, Drake leaps forward clenches the hilt of his sword with both of his hands and performs a horizontal swing slashing the golem's leg. Pebbles fall off the gash drake creates as the golem slams on its back in an earth-shaking fall.

         Sweat pours down Drake’s face as his chest expands and contracts. He reaches down for the prone woman, picks her up by the arm and darts away.

         The golem slams both of its fist in the ground turning over and pushing itself back to its feet. Drake looks up at the giant as it targets him with his shining red Jewel.

         “Ok,” Drake says as he rubs his hand through his short black hair.

         If there’s something, I quickly learned when setting foot outside the quarry, is the constant trouble that finds me each step I take. First, a bloodthirsty werepanther, a princess, and now I have to fight a golem. At least all those training sessions in the quarry will pay off…I hope.
© Copyright 2019 Octavius (UN: dvparker22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Octavius has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/954988-Chapter-4