*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
7
14
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/955820-Passions-and-Interests
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#955820 added April 4, 2019 at 10:12pm
Restrictions: None
Passions and Interests
Prompt: "Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it." Julia Child Write your views on this quote.

-----

Oh well, I felt like I am listening to a high school commencement speech. I am surprised that Julia Child would come up with such a one-sided thought because aside from her cooking, she did so many different things in her life, some of them very important.

As much as the quote sounds quixotic and idealistic, it rarely works in real life because life is so much richer than one single interest to be passionate about.

Then there is that clashing of the words. “Interest” has the idea of some curiosity that is ephemeral and passing, while a passion has a lure that is consistent, all enclosing, and addicted. We may have several interests at any one time, but passion is that one thing you delve into and can’t/won’t get out of because you put your everything in it.

As for me, I like my tiny and varying interests. My passion, if I can call it that, is for literature and the arts, which hasn’t changed in my rather longish life.




© Copyright 2019 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/955820-Passions-and-Interests