*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/955853-Reading-and-Writing-Divergently-Out-of-the-Comfort-Zone
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#955853 added April 5, 2019 at 11:15am
Restrictions: None
Reading and Writing Divergently: Out of the Comfort Zone
Blog City for April 5 2019:





Sherwood Anderson said, "I think the whole glory of writing lies in the fact that it forces us out of ourselves and into the lives of others."


Do you agree with his assessment of writing? Let's take it one step further, as a writer we step into other lives (our characters) does writing help us be more tolerant in real life or less because we look at things differently than a non-writer.






As a Reader and as a Writer, I am able to step out, to leave my comfort zone, and to surpass the impossibilities of my own life--by that I mean that I can do whatever I cannot do in this life in this physique. As an example, say I wanted to be an Astronaut, or a Rocket Scientist, or an expert Mycologist: I can do these through Reading, and I can also achieve these through Writing.





But more to the point of the Sherwood Anderson quote:


Reading divergently (meaning here reading about any aspect of personality or character or nationality or ethnicity or religion or anything else that "I am not") means I can LEARN. That is the most important victory of all.

© Copyright 2019 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/955853-Reading-and-Writing-Divergently-Out-of-the-Comfort-Zone