*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
7
14
21
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/956428-Indifference-to-Excess-is-it-worth-it
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#956428 added April 12, 2019 at 7:47pm
Restrictions: None
Indifference to Excess, is it worth it?
Prompt: “If moderation is a fault, then indifference is a crime.” ― Jack Kerouac

----


Taking the quote at face value and allowing momentarily what it claims to be the absolute truth, does this make “excess” an admirable thing? Let’s consider that.

As in everything, excesses, moderation, or indifference depend on the situation they are in. Take health and wealth for example. If followed with energy, health may improve and is good for a person’s wellbeing. Wealth is good, too. After all, who doesn’t want to be rich?

Yet, what if you go to excess with your health and wealth and deprive yourself of enjoying life? Is it worth it to spend so much energy that you are unable to experience a day of fun?

Some indifference could be beneficial in some things and moderation would help with most things, whereas excess and putting too much energy toward a single idea or goal can upend our destinies.

In short, I dare think such generalizations like that of the Kerouac quote are useless and petty, and if they are not exercised toward the right pursuit of our objectives, they only cast shadows on our lives, making them become no longer ours to do something about.



© Copyright 2019 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/956428-Indifference-to-Excess-is-it-worth-it