*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/957505
Rated: 13+ · Book · Teen · #2189048
Story of Torey Campbell, Part 1. Beginning through First Plot Point. Work in progress.
#957505 added September 27, 2020 at 2:29pm
Restrictions: None
Scene 08 _ Lunch with Addo
Scene 08 Rev G

Scene 08 “Lunch with Addo”


Torey Campbell – Protagonist
Addo Okoro – Torey’s soccer teammate and best friend
Miles Hawkins – Torey’s friend 1
Mrs. Sesay – Cashier at school cafeteria and friend of Okoro family

         Torey and Addo went from their science class directly to the cafeteria. Room 201 is on the second floor directly above the cafeteria, so it was a short trip down the stairs at the end of the hall. In the stairwell, the aroma from the kitchen below, made them both aware they were ready for lunch.
         "I'm hungry. I hope my Mom made something good for my lunch," exclaimed Addo as they found an empty space at one of the cafeteria tables.
         "Me too," Torey agreed starting to unpack his lunch bag.
         Addo looked in his bag and added, "I need to buy a drink today"
         "So do I."
         The boys gathered up their lunches and joined the food line, picking up trays as they started through. Both pulled a carton of milk from the ice bin and turned toward the cashier.
         "Hello Mrs. Sesay," said Addo reaching the checkout first.
         "Why hello, Addo. Are you ready for this new semester?" the cashier replied.
         "Yes, Ma’am."
         "Just milk today? That will be fifty cents."
         "Mrs. Sesay, this is my friend Torey Campbell."
         "Good to meet you Torey. Milk for you too? Fifty cents, please. Addo please say hello to your mother for me."
         "Uhh …Yes, Ma'am," replied Torey. He was looking across the room to where Viviana and her two friends were about to sit down at a table with several other girls.
         "How do you know her?" asked Torey, as they looked for another seat. The one they had was now occupied by someone else.
         "From church,” said Addo, unpacking his lunch bag again. “She teaches Sunday School to the little kids. She was my teacher a couple years ago."
         Addo stretched to see what was coming out of Torey’s bag. "What did you get for lunch?" he asked.
         "Hmmm. A ham sandwich, a banana, and a Jell-O. How about you?"
         Addo opened a small soup thermos; the steam and aroma escaping enough for Torey to get a good whiff, "Oh! Today I've got Red Red."
         "What's that? asked Torey, it doesn't look good." … but it sure smells good, he thought.
         "It's a fish stew, I think. I love it. Try some?"
         "Man! That's good. I never tasted anything like that,” said Torey after taking a spoon full from the thermos. “I bet your Mom is a good cook."
         "She is. I love it when she makes something from one of my grandma's recipes from Ghana.
         "Where were you born?" Torey asked, his mouth now full of ham sandwich. Torey was getting more and more curious about Addo’s background, recognizing that it was much different than his own.
         "Ghana, my parents came here when I was two."
         "Where were they born?"
         "Ghana. My father's parents came here a long time ago but after my Dad was grown up."
         "Have you ever been to Ghana?" Torey asked, now peeling his banana.
         "Couple times. We go back sometimes during the summer to visit family."
         "That must be really cool to visit a foreign country. So how did your parents get here?"
         "They came in 1979 to escape the revolution."
         "Did they have a hard time getting into this country?"
         "I don't think so. My grandparents were already here and sponsored them. Plus, both my Mom and Dad have a good education so they were able to get good jobs here."
         "Did they have trouble learning English?"
         "No. They both learned English in high school. So, when they got here, it was pretty easy to pick up."
         “They teach English in high school in Ghana?” asked Torey.
         “Yeah, starts in grade school. Most kids my age speak two languages – local and English.”
         Wow! thought Torey, I can hardly speak one.
         Torey thought about how little of the world he had seen and how much more experience Addo had in the same number of years. "I think it must be very hard to move to a foreign country – I mean move forever, not just to visit."
         Addo answered, "Things were pretty bad in Ghana when they left. I guess that made the decision easier."
         Torey changed the subject but continued questioning, "You got any brothers or sisters?"
         "Naa. How about you?"
         "Nope, just me. Does your Mom work?"
         "Yes. She teaches math at Darwin High."
         Torey had a hard time containing his amazement. No reason for him to be surprised, but he was.
         "What does your Dad do?"
         "He's an engineer and teaches manufacturing engineering over at Eastwood Engineering Institute at Trinity University."
         Torey was in a state of complete surprise. He had never met anyone from a family with that level of education. And no one who had achieved that education in a foreign country.
         Torey regained his composure, opened his Jell-O, and recounted, "Your Dad is an engineer and your Mom is a math teacher … why do you live in Drullins?"
         "Because we're black," Addo returned in a matter-of-fact tone, that caught Torey completely off guard.
         "So what! What's that got to do with anything?"
         What planet does this boy live on? thought Addo. He gave Torey a long look, a slight smile, and changed the subject. "Where are your parents from?"
         "My mom and dad were both born and raised here in Allerford. My grandparents, on both sides, came here from Scotland."
         "Where does your Dad work?" Addo continued.
         "Flywheel Machining. He's a machinist there. They make parts for the automakers."
         "… and your Mom?"
         "She stays at home and takes care of me and my Dad. But she works harder than both of us put together." answered Torey, a bit of pride showing through.
         "Yeah. My Mom says I'm her hardest job."
         Torey turned reflective, "Do you ever think about what you'll do after high school?" he asked as he finished his Jell-O and put the empty container and spoon back in his bag.
         "Some. I know I'll go to college, but I don’t know where or what I'll study. I know I’ll get a big discount if I go to Trinity."
         "How do you know you'll go to college?"
         "My parents believe education is very important. Not going to college isn't an option in my family. I guess that’s a good thing."
         "My Dad thinks education is for lazy people who don't want to work. He wants me to finish high school and get into the union apprentice program so I can get a good factory job."
         "Education is for lazy people? That makes no sense. My parents aren't lazy," rejoined Addo slightly offended.
         After an awkward pause, Addo continued, "I guess an apprentice program is good. Don't know anything about factories, so I can't tell."
         "Isn't college very expensive?" Torey asked, genuinely curious.
         "Yeah, but there are scholarships and loans. And you can work while you go."
         "I never thought about college. We don't talk about that stuff at home."
         Addo abruptly changed the subject again. "So Torey … what's up with Viviana Tessaro?"
         "Nothin"
         A broad smile broke out on Addo’s face, "I don't believe that. Why did you get her on our science team?"
         "She's pretty."
         "Maybe, but that doesn't mean she can do science."
         "I don't know if you or I can do science,” Torey replied emphatically, “We'll find out … and she’s got a nice figure."
         "You're interested; I can tell." answered Addo, still smiling.
         "Maybe, but what if she doesn’t like me?"
         Addo teased, "I'll watch to see if she flashes her eyes at you in science class."
         Torey wanted to level the playing field. "Any girls that catch your eye?"
         "Maybe, but I'm not gonna tell you."
         "Why not? You think I'll embarrass you?"
         "Yeah … who knows. Don't know you that well," Addo responded, a bit defensively, but grinning.
         "Hey Torey, what’s up?" quizzed Miles Hawkins as he approached Torey and Addo.
         Torey looked up. "Hi, Miles. How you doin’?"
         "I'm cool," answered Hawkins, giving Addo a once over.
         "Miles, this is my friend Addo Okoro."
         "Hi Miles," Addo responded frankly.
         "Hey Addo," Hawkins responded. Addo caught the chill; Torey did not.
         Addo knew it was time to leave. "Well, I got to get to English class. See you guys later.
         "Yeah, me too. I got math next," said Torey.
         Miles managed a "Yeah man."
         Addo headed off briskly. Torey gathered up his lunch bag and books, then he and Hawkins walked out of the cafeteria together.
         A few steps, then Miles spoke up. "Hey Torey, since when you been hangin’ round with the blacks? You'll get a bad rep, ya know."
         Torey shot Hawkins a stern glance. "What are you talkin’ about? He's cool."
         "No man. Black is black, and neither side is gonna ‘preciate you doin’ the crossover thing." Miles met Torey’s look in kind.
         "You sayin’, I can't have a black friend?" was Torey’s comeback, now with a bit of anger showing in his voice.
         Miles noticing that Torey’s hackles were up responded almost in a whisper. "Not if you want any white friends."
         "That's crap!" retorted Torey, the anger in his voice now unmistakable.
         "No man – that's life," Hawkins answered quietly, then turned and walked away.
###


Word Count: 1,523
Readability Consensus (based on 8 readability formulas)
         Grade Level: 3
         Reading Level: easy to read.
         Reader's Age: 8-9 yrs. old (Third and Fourth graders)

© Copyright 2020 flyfishercacher (UN: rlhazlett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
flyfishercacher has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/957505