*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/957555-Out-of-Obscurity
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#957555 added April 25, 2019 at 11:26pm
Restrictions: None
Out of Obscurity
Robert Kennedy: “Few of us will have the greatness to bend history itself; but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation.”

         I suppose most of us dream of being a rock star of some sort--a great politician, a Nobel prize scientist, a great author, inventor, historical innovator, and so forth. We want to feel like we have made a true difference in the world. It would great to find a preventative for spring allergies or hay fever or make a great speech that inspires brotherly love and erase hatred. Most of us settle for making a difference in the lives of our families or work place. We don't pretend to influence history or civilization.

         But when you think about it, a lot of people whose names we never knew have altered the course of history. Somebody whose face will never be on TV or on the Internet may very well do something that deeply affects our family or community, for good or bad. Kennedy was trying to tell us that each of us can be that person in the background who sets the path for history. The future of our country or county or children with cancer can very well rest in our hands.

         Individually, we must decide what is important to us, what causes are at the top of our list. Teaching children or making laws or improving the way we treat public servants can be the path that we alter. Our own attitudes can be the place for us to start. We don't have to accept the world the way it is, but can act with the hope that we will have a gentle impact. We don't need to get the credit.

© Copyright 2019 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/957555-Out-of-Obscurity