*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/957731
Rated: 13+ · Book · Teen · #2189048
Story of Torey Campbell, Part 1. Beginning through First Plot Point. Work in progress.
#957731 added September 27, 2020 at 3:09pm
Restrictions: None
Scene 13 _ Gotta Get Shoes (Second Soccer Practice)
}
Scene 13 Rev B

Scene 13 “Gotta Get Shoes” (Second Soccer Practice)


Torey Campbell (still wearing church shoes) – Protagonist
Addo Okoro – Torey’s new best friend
Willem Dreyer – Soccer Coach

         Late afternoon on Friday meant two things. School was out for two days but those two days were days of increased exposure to Brodey’s temper. Now Friday also meant soccer practice. Even though this was only his second practice and he was arriving unprepared, the thought excited him.
         The heat of August was oppressive in Torey’s world of concrete, asphalt, and bricks. Slightly less so amidst the grass and trees of Runestone Park. Torey and Addo arrived at the same time from two different directions.
         "Hey, Torey."
         "Hi, Addo."
         "Ready for some more soccer?" Addo asked. But looking at Torey, still dressed in his school clothes, wearing his church shoes, he knew the answer.
         "No. I still don't have any gear, and today I don't even have a pair of sneakers. These are my church shoes." His frustration clearly showed in his voice and the expression on his face.
         Willem Dreyer was standing among the boys already arrived — towering over them would be more appropriate. The respectful affection between this gentle giant and his players was plain to see from the playful banter passing among them. He looked up to see Torey and Addo arriving. A brief smile turned to a scowl when Dreyer saw how Torey was dressed.
         "Coach won’t let you play dressed like that," Addo whispered.
         "What am I gonna do?"
         "You'll have to talk to him and get some advice."
         "Addo, I want to be on this team bad."
         "Hi Coach," Addo said with a big smile as he turned his attention away from Torey.
         "Hello Addo. Why don't you get the boys warmed up," said Dreyer, completely ignoring Torey.
         "Yes sir!" Addo dropped his bag and jogged out to join the other players, leaving Torey standing alone by the bleachers.
         Dreyer looked at his clipboard and surveyed the players on the field, not even acknowledging Torey’s presence.
         Torey tried to break the freeze. "Hi Coach. I came back.”
         "Hello Torey. I see. But I thought you wanted to play," replied Dreyer with displeasure written all over his face.
         "I do want to play."
         "Why didn’t you come prepared? Where is your gear?"
         "Sir, I don't have any gear."
         "Well, you can't play dressed like that," Dreyer responded curtly in a disgruntled voice and turned his attention to the activities on the field. This conversation was over.
         For the next thirty minutes, Dreyer watched with only an occasional comment, as Addo led them through warm-ups, wind sprints, ball drills, and one-on-one scrimmages. He smiled at the team’s good condition this early, even before the start of the season, then whistled them in.
         "Addo. That was a good practice, but there are some things I want you to work on," said Dreyer as they all came in for a water and rest break.
         "Yes sir, but what about Torey? We gotta get him into the game."
         Dreyer looked Addo squarely eye to eye. "I don't think he's serious. I expected him to show up ready to work today."
         Addo sensed Dreyer’s displeasure. "No Coach! He does want to play, but he has no gear. His father and mother gave him some money to buy cleats, but it’s not enough, and he doesn't know where to buy gear." Addo was sure the Coach had completely misunderstood the situation.
         Dreyer looked at Addo, with some hostility draining from his face and his voice. "Let's talk at the end of practice. Meanwhile, you get back out there. I want you to work on tightening up the defense. You guys are wide open. Anybody can get through there and score against you. Here is what I want you to do …”
         The second half of practice was much harder. Addo orchestrated maneuvers of players and ball passing and Dreyer’s interruptions were more frequent and specific. Finally, Dreyer whistled it over, and the boys gathered by the bleachers completely spent.
         A light breeze from nowhere rustled the leaves of nearby trees and gave marginal relief to the exhausted players. But the heat was still brutal and everyone was slugging down water from their bottles.
         The coach critiqued the practice. No anger, no insults, no condemnations – all positive and instructive – youth coaching at its best. Then he wrapped it up. "OK guys, great job, but we have a lot of work to do. See you on Monday. Enjoy your weekend and do some juggling whenever you get a chance. Remember your school work too. Torey! Come over here and let's talk."
         As everyone dispersed, Torey and Addo joined Coach Dreyer on the bottom row of the bleachers. Addo was still sweating and downing repeated gulps of water from his water bottle.
         Dreyer looked hard at Torey, his penetrating blue eyes sending a clear no-nonsense message. "OK. Explain to me what the situation is with you and no gear."
         Torey replied, eager to explain. "At practice on Wednesday, I blew out my sneakers …"
         Dreyer interrupted: "I saw that, but sneakers will not work – even good sneakers. You need real cleats."
         Torey continued. "Yes sir, I know that. Those sneakers were also my everyday shoes. Now all I have are my church shoes for both church and school and I have nothing for soccer."
         Dreyer: "Go on …"
         Torey felt he had Coach’s attention, so he opened up more. "My dad doesn't think he should spend money on cleats. He thinks this is just a stupid game and he doesn't believe I should be wasting my time on it."
         Willem Dreyer nodded. He had experienced this kind of parenting before. Parents who had no sports in their upbringing and didn’t understand that school sports were more about life lessons than about playing, competing, and winning. It saddened him, but he recognized it as part of his job coaching in blue-collar neighborhoods of a big city. His anger with Torey had been misplaced and now he was eager to help. Dreyer moved the conversation forward. "That's too bad. Then what?"
         Torey resumed his explanation. "Anyway, he finally broke down and gave me forty dollars to buy both — school shoes and cleats."
         Addo could not stay silent. "Coach, he can’t get both pairs for forty dollars. And that doesn't include socks and a ball."
         Dreyer agreed. "I don't think so either, Addo."
         "Well, my mom snuck me another twenty. So, I have sixty to work with," Torey said.
         Dreyer smiled. "That's better, but still a big stretch."
         "Can you give him some ideas on where to shop, Coach?" Addo joined in again.
         Dreyer was a coach, but he was also an adult parent familiar with the problems of making a living and raising children. "I hate to say it, but you have to take care of school first. You need those every day and you need to satisfy your father. I’m sure you can’t go home with cleats and no school shoes."
         "Where should I shop?" asked Torey.
         Dreyer, now the father, not the coach, offered what Torey was hoping for. "I think you are old enough to shop for shoes in the men's shoe department. I suggest you try JCPenney, DSW, and Macy's for everyday shoes. Look at the Stacy Adams brand. I wear them and find them to be good shoes. While there, check out the sporting goods department on the off chance they have cleats, but get the shoes for school first.”
         Addo reassured Torey. "I think my dad has some Stacy Adams shoes."
         Dreyer continued, "For cleats, start with Dick's Sporting Goods. They have the biggest selection of brands. Even if you don't buy there, try on some shoes to get a feel for your size. A good fit is important. Maybe they will have some on sale.”
         "That's where I got mine," Addo added.
         “What brand?” asked Torey.
         Dreyer scratched his head. "There are several good brands – Nike, Adidas, Puma, New Balance – but I think you should shop ‘fit and price’ and not worry about the brand. Then try Play Again. I'll give you the address. They are a second-hand consignment shop for sporting goods. There you can find used cleats in good condition. But their size selection isn't complete, so you'll have to shop carefully. Whatever you do, do not buy a pair that doesn't fit.”
         Torey felt better, but still had questions. "Thanks Coach. What about shorts, socks, a bag, and a ball?"
         Dreyer smiled at Torey. "I know you don't have enough money for those items. Let that be a problem for another day. Let's deal with your feet first.
         Addo was excited. "What do you think, Torey? Can you do this?"
         Torey hesitated. "I guess I can. I've never shopped for my stuff before. Mom always does it.” He remembered promising his mother that he would locate shoe stores and buy shoes on Saturday. Now it seemed like a frightening idea — but he had promised.
         Willem Dreyer had been dealing with young boys for many years. He saw here a ‘put up or shut up’ situation for Torey that would be a valuable lesson for him. "Time to grow up Torey. Addo, can you go with him to help?"
         Addo looked up, surprised. He was excited about the sudden possibility of an adventure for the two of them and flattered that Coach put such trust in him. "Sure, let's do it."
         Dreyer pulled out a pocket notebook, scribbled on a page, tore it out and gave it to Torey. "Here's the address for Play Again. I've sent a lot of players there. They’ll treat you right. Good luck guys. See you Monday."
         "Thanks Coach. We'll make it work," said Addo, with contagious enthusiasm.
         Torey felt inspired. Fate had handed him a challenge, and both Coach and Addo assured him he could do it. He resolved to be worthy. "Yeah. Thanks for the help. I won't let you down.”
         Coach Dreyer replied. "I hope not. Torey, you've got it in you to be a first-rate soccer player, but it will take a lot of work and only you can do it."
         The sunset over the rooftops west of the park leaked blood into the high, sparse clouds when the trio broke up. Willem Dreyer went to his car and each boy to his bicycle. For Dreyer, it was the end of another week of molding boys into young men. For Torey it had been quite a week — he had discovered soccer, made a new friend, and had strange new thoughts about girls. Addo Okoro was excited about the upcoming season and helping his new friend, Torey Campbell. All kinds of possibilities lay ahead, and it all begins tomorrow.
###

Word Count: 1,771
Readability Consensus (based on 8 readability formulas)
         Grade Level: 5
         Reading Level: easy to read
         Reader's Age: 8-9 yrs. old (Fourth and Fifth graders)
© Copyright 2020 flyfishercacher (UN: rlhazlett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
flyfishercacher has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/957731