*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958412-Omaha-Marinade
Rated: 13+ · Book · Food/Cooking · #2190227
My Recipe Book, constantly being added to
#958412 added September 2, 2021 at 12:07am
Restrictions: None
Omaha Steak Marinade
I love how the men stand around cooking the barbie while the women have done all the work beforehand doing the marinade and making the salads and then everybody says, "What a great barbie" to the guy cooking.

         — Curtis Stone

Originally, marinades were simply made from salt water. This imparted flavor, but its main function was just to help preserve the meat. Sometimes actual sea-water was used, which is where the word "marinade" came from. It was called aqua marina, from the Latin mare for sea; hence marinade.

Today, marinades are seasoned liquid to enhance primarily the flavor of meat before cooking it. The mechanics of how that happens and benefits are disputed. In general, the flavor of the meat is changed, not the tenderness. You can’t turn a hunk of shoe leather into filet mignon, but you can make it taste better.

Marinades are, not surprisingly, highly regional. Whether its tangy, spicy, or smokey, each region stamps its own personality on a marinade. This one comes from the Midwest.

INGREDIENTS

1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
11/2 tbsp garlic powder
11/2 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp dried basil
1/2 tsp black pepper


DIRECTIONS

Mix and pour over meat, cover, and refrigerate up to 8 hours.

© Copyright 2021 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958412-Omaha-Marinade