*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958597-201959-So-far-away-blog
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#958597 added May 9, 2019 at 1:48am
Restrictions: None
2019年5月9日 So-far-away blog
So far away
Doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore
It would be so fine to see your face at my door
Doesn't help to know you're just time away

A very painful topic. I have lived here 10 years. I feel safe here but these mountains aren't my home. And the places I travel just remind me that I don't have a "home". I left for good years ago thinking I'd be gone for two weeks. It still hurts deeply.

I left a lot of baggage but I also left those I loved the most. My journal is written to one of them. Most of them are still there. I was the one who left.

Do they miss me? Perhaps some do. I'm sure of that. I miss the good times but cannot reminisce without the reasons for leaving intruding and destroying that joy. I just try to block out that "time before".

When... if... I move from here I'd like to move back to the prairie. I felt freer there, more in tune with the world. But 15 years ago when I did go back it was a disaster and I cannot turn the clock back 40 years. That place is gone and what has replaced it would be alien. Still I dream of Kansas and wheat and Iowa and corn fields.

But I wouldn't go back to where I was raised. Yes, it was a beautiful place, but treacherous... one I don't mention often... it was never safe. I still have family there and probably friends if I would just let them get to know me again. I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

One more song about moving along the highway
Can't say much of anything that's new
If I could only work this life out my way
I'd rather spend it being close to you


So pursuant to yesterday's prompt: I'd emigrate to Mars if I could take my loved ones with me.

The lyrics to "So Far Away" are Carol King's... from another time and place.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Only went grocery shopping. No great sales this week. Chatted with friends. I needed to. I spent the day at home. Read lots of blogs. Wrote another flash fiction.
IMAGES: The end of apricot blossom time, wind, streaks of rain, hum of the city; taste of tuna-farfalle-cream-of-celery and later vanilla ice cream with Dr. Pepper.
NEW BLOGVILLE: I read how many folks are less than thrilled to leave their comfort zones. Does travel, new people, new experiences frighten them? Everyone's reasons are so personal. But leaving one's comfort zone is the only way to grow. I sincerely wish everyone the best.

From ash to ashes

Thoom administered colloidal silver. Barely a drop. Made Sarah take one garlic pill, waited for results.

It was one of those lazy days, puffy clouds and humid. We all kept to the shade, except for Lily. Lily wouldn't venture out from the ice-house.

None of us wanted to move but it was important to check on Sarah every hour. Her fever wasn't going down and she was turning grey. Neither were good signs.

We sat around The Shallot. The fan was cranking. The ice block was melting. Thoom made sure we all sipped our lemonade. She had made a special batch with mint and chamomile. She knew we needed to keep calm and we knew that she knew.

When Lily visited that evening with fresh chilled blood we almost went into a frenzy. But Thoom held up one finger and politely poured each of us a small glass.

Lily sat with Sarah, encouraging her to take a few sips. My appetite's off, she croaked. Sarah was notorious for her unquenchable thirst. Not a good sign.

Maybe we should check to see if there's some other problem? What hurts? When did this happen? Where?

Thoom listened to the inquisition, mentally taking notes. She approached Sarah and began to search. Arms okay, Legs okay. Turn the other way guys, I need to get personal.

Finally she checked Sarah's hair. Sarah was proud of her luxurious hair.

Did you get your hair caught in something? Ah... It’s worse than I thought.

Thoom asked for tweezers and removed a splinter.

Ash! Lily exclaimed in horror. We shuddered. Wood can kill us. Ash was the worse.

But Sarah, undauntable Sarah, just groaned. Does this mean I'll have to skip the hoedown tomorrow? Thoom smiled sweetly but Lily flashed her one of those looks.

© Kåre Enga (8.mai.2019) [176.74]

 From ash to ashes [176.74] (298w)  (13+)
Flash fiction, vampire, Blood-of-the-Garlic
#2190487 by Kåre Enga in Udon Thani


If I write a flash fiction every day I will learn how to write one! *Smirk2*
101.671

© Copyright 2019 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958597-201959-So-far-away-blog