*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958785-Human-Nurture
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#958785 added May 12, 2019 at 12:14am
Restrictions: None
Human Nurture
Write your entry inspired by the word “nurture.” What does it mean to nurture something or someone? How were you nurtured growing up, how are you currently nurtured, and how do you nurture others?

I don't.

Right now a lot of you are probably like, "Of course; you're a dude." Bullshit. While "nurture" is something often associated with women, lots of men are nurturing.

I'm not one of them.

My dad was, in a rather old-fashioned way. So was my mom. They desperately wanted a child; they got me. But for whatever reason - feel free to psychoanalyze; you'll probably be wrong, anyway - I didn't get the "nurture" gene.

I'm not one of those people who needs something to take care of. Truth be told, I think of it as a burden - one I willingly assume when the situation calls for it, but not something I seek out. It's why I didn't want kids. And if I didn't care, I'd have tried to have them anyway; therfore, I do care, ipso facto, ex post nihilo, etc.

Sure, I have cats, and I take care of them, but cats are essentially low-maintenance. They suit my personality better than dogs do, because dogs take a lot of training and care, things I can't be arsed to provide. The idea of walking one twice a day, every day, like clockwork? Shudder. I can't do anything on a regular schedule, or I start feeling hemmed-in.

Besides, when I do try to be nurturing, whatever the hell that means, I always end up making a situation worse.

And so no, I don't know what it means, and I'm not really interested in trying to find out. I'd rather play video games. Plenty of things about human nature that I will never understand, and this is one of them.

© Copyright 2019 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958785-Human-Nurture